started my benchwork today

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


rusty spike

New Member
Well after 8 years I'm back...remodeled my basement and today started my benchwork for my HO empire.My first section is for my helix,track lower level starts at 42 inches and hope to have a maximum grade of 2% coming out of the helix with about a 5 inch rise and we will take it from there.When I learn how to post pictures I will post as construction goes along.all hints and ideas are surely welcome.........Rusty
 
That's my favorite part of the hobby, I miss it!
What radius will your helix be? That will determine your grade as well as the thickness of the material.
Oh don't worry about getting hints and ideas... we're full of it. (I mean full of them):p
 


That's my favorite part of the hobby, I miss it!
What radius will your helix be? That will determine your grade as well as the thickness of the material.
Oh don't worry about getting hints and ideas... we're full of it. (I mean full of them):p

I'm planing on a 30 in. radius ,I'll just keep coiling track till I get to the top.I use 1/4 in. ply,I'm planing on having the last 3 ft or so rounding the edge of the mountain with a sheer drop off and I'll put in a secret peep hole to observe conditions inside the helix from time to time.Layout size will be around 12x16 duck under and you will be able to walk all around the outside of the layout as well as inside,and most important this time I'll be able to reach all areas to work on it.(no crawling on top to get to stuff.been there done that..take care,have fun.....later Jere
 
Jere, a five inch rise with 30" radius curves is going to require a lot of track and turns to keep is down to a reasonable grade. I'd really measure exactly how much track you have (run) to get the top (rise) and make sure that you have a grade that won't give you constant problems. There are some formulas to calculate grades at http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRgrades.html.
 
Jere, a five inch rise with 30" radius curves is going to require a lot of track and turns to keep is down to a reasonable grade. I'd really measure exactly how much track you have (run) to get the top (rise) and make sure that you have a grade that won't give you constant problems. There are some formulas to calculate grades at http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRgrades.html.

Thanks for the link on the grades...Not all my grade is in the helix,I started my grade about 10 ft. from the tunnel entrance to the helix about 25 ft. climb total,giving me close to 2% rise to total of 4 inches between tracks in helix...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top