ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I am getting ready to build my bench-work for my staging yard. I am going to lay the track as well as it will be much easier to do so without an upper level present. One question I had, and would like some pros and cons is the question of roadbed in the staging yard. It seems like a waste of money to be honest, I don't really care if the trains are loud coming and going into the yard, and I am not doing any scenery down there.
Most freight yards I've seen don't have elevated track beds. I'm using cork roadbed on routes but not in the yard.....unless I decide to cover the whole yard with thin cork.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about roadbed in the yards. Without roadbed, you do have to deal with the transition in track height, but that can be taken care of with a slight grade on the yard lead. Another idea eliminating the transition: I have one yard that I covered in foam board that was almost the same thickness as cork or WS roadbed. That allowed me to run track anywhere at any angles without the fuss and CHEAPER.
I use homasote in the yards and staging yards. Just a lot easier than cork roadbed and adjusting the track after the first installation is much easier. I also just nail the track down with small brads. When everything is where I want it, I put a layer of ballast over it all.
For my yard I just used rolls of 1/4" cork from Michael's. It's essentially the same height as the regular cork roadbed. No transition on yard leads, and nice level surface in the yard itself.