Spray foam insulation use?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jaytee

New Member
Just wondering if anyone uses the spray foam for touch up work or crack filling in their layouts? I know that it comes in varying degrees of expansion which might come in handy for modeling work in mountain scenery, bridge abutments, ect.
 
careful on the formulation you use. Many of them use strong solvents that will dissolve styrofoams (white, pink and blue). Since many models also use styrene plastics (the basis for styrofoam), they can be affected as well. If it so much as touches styrene, it will destroy it. And it is incredibly difficult to get off of your hands and tools. If it gets on your clothes, they're rags.

There may be some formulations that won't damage styrene, but I haven't seen them.
 
Dave Frary used that stuff to build one of his famous layouts using just that spray stuff many years ago. Was reading about it the other day actually. A western themed layout called the Cactus Valley.
 


I used it for a low line of hills on one end of the layout. I don't remember the brand name now but it is safe for foam, since it's used to insulate cracks between the foam and things like windows frames in houses. You can get it at HD or Lowe's but you'll have to ask to make sure you get the foam safe version. Spray a base layer on and let it set for a half hour. Build up more layers with short bursts and make sure they set before you add to them. If you do it all at once, you get a big marshmallow looking thing. :) the small hill to the right in the photo is foam, painted and covered with dried grass.

UPlocalcomingintotown.jpg
 
polyure spray,insulating coatings

I have applied ultimate linings Polyurethane Foam closed-cell insulation materials. It’s materials offer high R values, one can use a thinner foam board to have the required thermal resistance one desires. This can be extremely helpful if there are space limitations involved. This strength involved the ability of the foam to resist deformation and the ability to main its shape when forced or loaded down.It can handles a wide temperature range, which makes it effective as a roof insulation. When combined with laminated aluminum foil facing, it is also an effective moisture and vapor barrier.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have used it before to build hills over a basic cardboard framework, when it sets you can almost stand on it as it dries rock solid. The stuff we get in the UK is safe to use on almost all types of material BTW. On the down side burglars use it in alarm boxes as well over here.
 
I used it one time and got the expansion foam in the red can at Lowes I sprayed it on the area I wanted then had to leave the house when I returned several hours later it had swelled to the point that it completely covered the track I had to cut it out with a knife and goof off the track and it never ran like it should after that
 
The red can is called Great Stuff. I have 5 cans of it in the garage. I wouldn't use it on my layout though. Swells to nearly 6 times it's size when sprayed out of the can. Near impossible to get off of your hands as mentioned, very sticky. Dries very hard.
 
I used it for a low line of hills on one end of the layout. I don't remember the brand name now but it is safe for foam, since it's used to insulate cracks between the foam and things like windows frames in houses. You can get it at HD or Lowe's but you'll have to ask to make sure you get the foam safe version. Spray a base layer on and let it set for a half hour. Build up more layers with short bursts and make sure they set before you add to them. If you do it all at once, you get a big marshmallow looking thing. :) the small hill to the right in the photo is foam, painted and covered with dried grass.

UPlocalcomingintotown.jpg


Whats that stuff you are using for weeds? Looks like hair or fur
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top