spiders

  • Thread starter Thread starter f1_indy2000
  • Start date Start date
ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


On my outdoor layout, spiders are a constant problem. The worst offenders are black widows and brown widows, which I absolutely can't stand. They hide between the rocks during the day and come out after dark, so periodically I patrol the layout with flashlight and a can of Raid.

Daddy-longlegs and other random spiders sometimes build webs across the tunnels, I just use a dowel to wipe out the web.

BTW, my favorite indoor solution is the Raid "Fumigator". Unlike all other foggers, this one does not come from a spray can, leaves no noticeable residue, and is non-flammable. So you don't have turn off pilot lights to prevent an explosion. Of course, you do have to close everything and leave the house for several hours.
 
I have used the hedge apples but only one here and there. Would it be a better idea to have a bunch? Originally my uncle told my mom about them years ago and there is a tree in her neighborhood that leaves dozens of them so I don't have a problem getting them. Just wonder if I had a ton of them would that work better than the ones here and there?

Thanks for the suggestion on Fumigator, Ray. I lived in Tucson as a kid and remember my dad would do the monthy exterminator raid on the widows. He would make his assault at night. I guess thats when them Bast*rds or B*tchs come out, LOL

I think I might need to make some little no trespassing signs for the layout stating no trespassing this mean you SPIDERS, MICE, FLYING THINGS, etc. HA Most likely they can't read so it would be HA at me :p
 
Alabama has about 9 gazillion different kinds of spiders, all which get on my layout at one time or another. :) Nothing chemical I used works to keep them at bay. I vacuum them up regularly but they always come back. We also have chameleons and one got in the basement a few weeks ago. I see him running for cover when I turn on the lights. He hasn't seemed to cause any damage to the layout except for knocking over one of my little people occasionally but guess what...no more spiders since he showed up. I guess they eat about 10 times their weight in spiders a day. So there's your answer. Get a chameleon and turn him loose. He's both decorative and useful. :D

I like the idea of the chameleon...Imagine it by your little figures....Almost like godzilla, BAHAHAHAAAA But will it become a pest to you after he has finished off the spiders? Will it start destroying the layout since it needs to eat? If not if and I send you my address can you send me one? I know my wife would hate me if she saw it but it would be classic seeing her freak over it, :D
 


I like the idea of the chameleon...Imagine it by your little figures....Almost like godzilla, BAHAHAHAAAA But will it become a pest to you after he has finished off the spiders? Will it start destroying the layout since it needs to eat? If not if and I send you my address can you send me one? I know my wife would hate me if she saw it but it would be classic seeing her freak over it, :D
The North American Chameleon is actually the Green Anole. They're almost as common as ticks here. I see them running around around all the time. Catching one is something else again. They're very fast. Learn more about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychrotidae
 
Chris, one of the advantages of the BIG scale is that my little chameleon can't knock over anything too big. He's only about 2 inches long but I watched him track a spider down Main Street and he can jump about three feet to get one. No signs of chameleon poop piles yet but maybe they blend in with the Alabama soil on the layout. :D

[/I]

Jim, your little scaled friend is commonly known as a Anole. Chameleons are a south american native:D If your anole can change from brown to green it is a Green Anole. If he's diffrent shades of brown he's called a Brown Cuban Anole! Anoles can get to be up to 6" long with tale!

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anole

If any of you want some fer yer layout you may catch a few out of my yard! I got tons of them around and in the house!


Sorry Jeff, I posted this and missed seeing your post! any who how, ya any one wants a lizard? come on down I got tons running around, along with Green tree frogs, Three toed Toads big enough to eat small dogs, Geckos and five lined skinks! And if you feel lucky I know where some Gator nest are!!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, your little scaled friend is commonly known as a Anole. Chameleons are a south american native:D If your anole can change from brown to green it is a Green Anole. If he's diffrent shades of brown he's called a Brown Cuban Anole! Anoles can get to be up to 6" long with tale!
Actually they can get up to 20 inches. I've seen them almost that big down here.
 
Hey, Jeffrey, I was just posting what the University said. No idea if they work or not. As you say, some old wives tales are really true but some are really just old wives tale.

Ray, I can imagine that critters of all sorts would be a problem on an outdoor layout. At least you don't have amadillos out there. They'd tear up your tracks in heartbeat looking for grubs.

Chris, I guess I have those green Anoles. He's bright green most of the time but can change to almost any color to match his background. All the ones here never seem to get bigger than about three inches. Maybe the winters are too cold or something. At any rate, the spider population has gone way down since he moved in.

Crandell, I've sat in a few outhouses and tried not to think about what might be hiding down there. :eek: Indeed, arachnids are the only species that have a uniformly venomous bite. My youngest daughter is particularly sensitive to spider bites of any kind and gets a big hematoma anywhere she gets bit. We do have black and brown widows and brown recluses down here but I've only seen black widows so far.
 
So far I haven't had too many problems with animals on my layout. We had a run-in with some ground squirrels that were infesting a nearby patch of iceplant, but I trapped them. Have only seen one on the layout since then.

Cats are sometimes a problem and unlike vermin, I can't trap them. So I got some cat repellent and put it on the fence all around the yard, after one of them wrecked the walkways on one of my plate girder bridges. Surprisingly, the stuff really seems to help.

We have several Western Fence lizards that live on or near the layout -- they love all the rocks. We enjoy having them around. I've trained them to eat from my hand. In fact, during warm weather when they are most active, they often come running to me as soon as they see me come out the back door.

We also have alligator lizards in the yard, though they mostly stay hidden. I have on occasion been able to coax one of them to take mealworms from my hand.
 
Jim, there is a reason they call recluse spider a recluse spider, ya know. lol

Having lizards, anoles or others, would be like watching those old Sci-Fi flicks from the '50's and early '60's. Imagine a 5-foot iguana traipsing around the garden layout. It would be like the "Galapagos Central RR".

My question would be, who has the right of way?

Bob
 


We have several Western Fence lizards that live on or near the layout -- they love all the rocks. We enjoy having them around. I've trained them to eat from my hand. In fact, during warm weather when they are most active, they often come running to me as soon as they see me come out the back door.

We also have alligator lizards in the yard, though they mostly stay hidden. I have on occasion been able to coax one of them to take mealworms from my hand.

Ray you bring me fond childhood memories:) when I was a kid living in Upland California, that was a past time catching those lizard you named! Those Alligator lizards get that name for a very good reason!:eek: we have eastern fence swifts here. they look a lot like the wester one but not as heavely armored!
 
...
Having lizards, anoles or others, would be like watching those old Sci-Fi flicks from the '50's and early '60's. Imagine a 5-foot iguana traipsing around the garden layout. It would be like the "Galapagos Central RR".

My question would be, who has the right of way?

Bob


Whomever's resolve was the lesser. :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top