Speed Matching

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


leestevenson

ONE TRACK MIND
I know this is a subjective topic. Looking for the easiest way to speed match my fleet. I use 3 types of decoders, is there a best practise, or just lengthy trial and error?:confused:
 
You must use your slowest loco and use that as your base and work the others down to it's level.
 
If you've got any Proto 2000's, will probably be them. Lovely slow speed running and not high at the top.
 


I have found the best, and fastest, way to speed match locos is to use JMRI/DecoderPro. With it connected to your main, you can easily adjust the speed tables on it via a computer interface. (Digitrax's Pr3, RR-CirKits Locobuffer USB.) It allows you to open up as many windows of speed tables for individual locos as you want. But, for me, 2 locos at a time are enough. The individual speed steps are adjusted by using sliders on the computer screen.

You don't have to remember which CV adjusts what. Its all just a mouse click away.
 
I have found speed matching can be interesting. I have two locos with Soundtraxx decoders. One is a K4 Pacific, large wheels, and a 2-8-8-2 with small wheels. After some work and research, I found that Soundtraxx does not support CV5 and 6. Instead, Soundtraxx uses CV 23 and 24 to do the same. But it does help to use JMRI Decoder Pro for this process. This makes it so much easier.

I am still trying to figure out how to get the two running at the same speed. They do run the same at startup, but as I accelerate, the faster loco in front, pulls ahead. Adjusting CV2 helped the startup ssue. Now to figure out the speed table. They say it is pretty simple. Guess I don't have a simple enough mind! LOL But I will keep trying.

Will keep working at it. Do the same.

Ted
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top