SP Kodachrome GP9 Help

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


QRR Fan

Engine Collector
I'm currently in the process of building my layout after the Feather River Route, including the Western Pacific Railroad Museum at Portola. I'm hoping to have a few of the locos that they do. One that I'm interested in having is SP 2873. It's a GP9 painted in the kodachrome scheme for the hopeful SP and SF merger in the 80's. The problem I have is that no one makes a kodachrome GP9.

What I'm looking for is some advice as to what I should do. I don't think I could tape and paint the curves as well as I want. There are a few SF kodachromes, but none as a GP9. Can any of the ones available be kitbashed into a GP9?
 
What I'm looking for is some advice as to what I should do. I don't think I could tape and paint the curves as well as I want. There are a few SF kodachromes, but none as a GP9. Can any of the ones available be kitbashed into a GP9?

I had very good luck repainting my Kato F40PH into the Rio Grande Ski Train paint scheme. I used spray paint from home depot and blue painter's tape. I was a little nervous about taping the "V" on the front but it came out great.
Here is a pic:
-Art
SkiTrainF40PH.jpg
 
Have you ever seen/used 3M parafilm? http://www.micromark.com/Parafilm-M,7551.html It stretches to 5x it's original size (if I recall correctly), mold extremely well to surfaces, and will conform to compound curves very easily. I've used it to do some very intricate designs on model cars in the past and have been extemely pleased with the results.
 


I guess I should at least include a picture of what I want to do.
View attachment 27357
View attachment 27358

Rather than try to paint in the curves consider painting the engine yellow then make clear decals the proper shape of the redish color. The yellow will show through the redish decals. It will take many practice runs with an inkjet printer to get the color and shape of the decals right so print samples on regular paper till you get the colors and shapes that will work on your engine.
Here is an example:
If you need help I am very good at Photoshop. I would pictures from multiple angles to get the decal correct. Hope this helps.
-Art
ExampleredDecal.jpg
 
Id buy a set of santa fe decals, use the curve ones as a template, and paint the red and yellow. Do the yellow first then the red using a template and you should be fine. Ive seen this done and it seems to work very well
 
Id buy a set of santa fe decals, use the curve ones as a template, and paint the red and yellow. Do the yellow first then the red using a template and you should be fine. Ive seen this done and it seems to work very well

I second this. Atleast thats what I would do...
 
I found the easiest way was to paint the unit yellow, then mask the bonnet and spray, in my case blue, but for the Kodachrome, red.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top