ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have an Athearn RTR P42 that I would like to add sound to, would the new Digitrax SDH164D be a plug and play for this unit. Just connect the 2 9 pin connectors to eachother? Any other suggestions?
I have installed several of those sound decoders. They are not plug and play. They have to be hard wired but you could buy a 9 pin connector and solder the appropriate wires on the decoder to it. That's what I did with my Bachmann GS4 SP Daylight. Hope this helps.
-Art
Actually, according to the manual, it IS a plug and play. All you need is a 9-pin plug for the 9-pin socket on the decoder, or an appropriate harness for an 8-pin.
http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/SDH164D.pdf
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)