SOO LINE modelers

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
This car is made by Kadee. And I'm dying to know what the DF on the door stands for and would this paint scheme, and the DF on the door, still be around in 1974?
 
DF = Designated Freight. Some cars were specifically used for a certain item

Also Damage Free- SRN is correct as per a website dealing with TRR terms.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always understood that DF stood for Damage Free for a car equipped with load restraints. I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Edit: I recall as a kid seeing cars in the 50's or 60's with both the DF logo and the term Damage Free on the sides. This was on the SP, but I don't remember if all the cars like that belonged to the SP or not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


This car is made by Kadee. And I'm dying to know what the DF on the door stands for and would this paint scheme, and the DF on the door, still be around in 1974?

The DF means "Damage Free"- which was one of several kinds of load restraint devices inside the boxcar to hold the load in place from shifting in transit. The "XML" AAR code on the car indicates it is equipped with either load dividers, load restraint belts, perforated side walls with rub rails and restraint bars or moveable bulkheads inside the car.
I have a shot of a former SOO 50 footer like this at Stevens Point, WI in 2000 with Wisconsin Central marks with the "DF" still prominently on the door.

5103286610_0788121412.jpg


I'll have to look when I get home, but I believe these Soo cars had restraint belts and rub rails- hope that helps.

Matt Holman
Spring, TX
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Now, to the second part of your question. Yes this car would still be around in 1974, but with one modification. It would have had it's roof-walk removed just after 1968, when they , the roof-walks, were banned. So remove the roof-walks from this car and you're good to go for 1974.

Dan
 
Now, to the second part of your question. Yes this car would still be around in 1974, but with one modification. It would have had it's roof-walk removed just after 1968, when they , the roof-walks, were banned. So remove the roof-walks from this car and you're good to go for 1974.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I noticed in some protoypical shots of some boxcars that the roof-walks are still on the cars right up until the 1980's. Were roof-walks banned all over the North America?

As you can see in this shot the roof-walk is removed, but not on the CN car.
 
I can't recall at this time what the cut-off date for interchange cars was. But, you should be fine for the 70's. Perhaps others can shed more info on this topic?

Dan
 
Thanks Dan. I noticed in some protoypical shots of some boxcars that the roof-walks are still on the cars right up until the 1980's. Were roof-walks banned all over the North America?

As you can see in this shot the roof-walk is removed, but not on the CN car.

I can't recall at this time what the cut-off date for interchange cars was. But, you should be fine for the 70's. Perhaps others can shed more info on this topic?

Dan
1974 was the cutoff, though I've seen a few "outlaws" into the 1980's, depending on what they hauled and where they hauled it.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top