My first question here received a lot of good answers and I thank you all.
Before I go out and spend my hard earned money I am trying to diligently study so that I pick the correct scale for modeling my layout. I have considered cost of all the major scales and have decided that quality over quantity will be my guide for the first couple of years.
Here are my thoughts on the various scales as they apply to my circumstances: (I have included only the more popular scales) I have underlined my questions if any of you would be kind enought to consider replies.
N - Being older I use reading glasses a lot. Just from the visual apsect this scale seems impractical. I do like long trains. I don't know much about the reliability of these tiny engines. Do these smaller N scale trains hold up OK?
HO - Seems like a good compromise. I guess 4X8' would be adequate for a minimal HO layout? I am not familiar with the better brands and reliable equipment.
O - LOVE the size of the cars. I DO NOT know what space would be needed for a minimum layout that doesn't look cramped. What space is needed in O-27 for more than just a circle? Also, is there anyway to make the three rail tracks look more realistic? The turning radius on true - O (howver it should be properly named) makes it prohibitive for me.
G - This is a great scale but I don't have the space or money. I live in town and can't put anything in the yard. Too many kids in the neighborhood.
I appreciate anything you can offer.
Before I go out and spend my hard earned money I am trying to diligently study so that I pick the correct scale for modeling my layout. I have considered cost of all the major scales and have decided that quality over quantity will be my guide for the first couple of years.
Here are my thoughts on the various scales as they apply to my circumstances: (I have included only the more popular scales) I have underlined my questions if any of you would be kind enought to consider replies.
N - Being older I use reading glasses a lot. Just from the visual apsect this scale seems impractical. I do like long trains. I don't know much about the reliability of these tiny engines. Do these smaller N scale trains hold up OK?
HO - Seems like a good compromise. I guess 4X8' would be adequate for a minimal HO layout? I am not familiar with the better brands and reliable equipment.
O - LOVE the size of the cars. I DO NOT know what space would be needed for a minimum layout that doesn't look cramped. What space is needed in O-27 for more than just a circle? Also, is there anyway to make the three rail tracks look more realistic? The turning radius on true - O (howver it should be properly named) makes it prohibitive for me.
G - This is a great scale but I don't have the space or money. I live in town and can't put anything in the yard. Too many kids in the neighborhood.
I appreciate anything you can offer.
