ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello all, I've been meaning to start a thread on our layout but we don not have internet at home and work has been crazy so I haven't really had any lunch breaks. Anyways, Here is what we have done so far. All of the bench work is done except for the area where the roundhouse & turntable are going. 2/3 of the main is down and most of the main bus wiring is in. It is freelanced because I like Conrail, and U.P. Steam and they didn't mix in real life. Looking for any input or suggestions. (good or bad

)
Thanks,
Seann
Here is the future roundhouse and turntable area. You are looking down towards the town of Halter which will be at the end of the yard.
Continuing down the main. Program track on the right (edge), 2 main's, then what will be the yard.
More yard area. Through the doorway will eventually be a shortline RR that will operate on the other side of the basement. That's a year or so off though.
End of yard, Town area in corner.
Back wall. the top tracks will be under a hill. The bottom area will be some sort of industry.
Around the bend, the bottom tracks duck into a tunnel while the above tracks will return to sight.
Looking down the wall back towards the roundhouse area (can't see it because of the shower curtain)
Standing to the left of the previously mentioned shower curtain. (Round house area over my left shoulder) Lower tracks are starting up grade. You can see most of the no-lix (SP?)
Continuing up the grade. These tracks will be in a tunnel. (Town in the top right area)
Here is the over-under area we wanted. All grades are 1.75% or less. Min 32" R curves on mains. #8 turnouts on mains w/ #6's for sidings and the yard area.
Our cork cutting table. Inspired by MYOWNGOD. Thanks! Alot cheaper this way.
Track laying tools.
Wiring example.
Wow you've gotten a lot done, looks great!
A question... are you going to hang some kind of ceiling? This would be the time to do so.
Ah I love the smell of wood and cork, almost hate to cover it up!
Wow you've gotten a lot done, looks great!
A question... are you going to hang some kind of ceiling? This would be the time to do so.
Ah I love the smell of wood and cork, almost hate to cover it up!
Yeah, going to do a drop ceiling. Gathering tiles from work. They throw them out so all I have to do is collect enough good ones for a ceiling. We want to get the main lines down and then we are going to hange some masonite for the backdrops. We really wanted to be able to run some trains when we couldn't go to club. The cork smells different than the normal RR stuff. Almost has a fishtank/hamsterish smell. Not all that pleasing...
Damn! This is incredible looking already! That is one really nice HUGE looking layout. I sure wish I had that room.
Can you post a track plan?
Damn! This is incredible looking already! That is one really nice HUGE looking layout. I sure wish I had that room.
Can you post a track plan?
Ah yes.. the track plan. I am hesitant because I thought some would bash it for being a spaghetti bowl. But I did say I wanted suggestions (good or bad) right!
Awesome!
What are the room dimensions, 36 x 18?
Keep the progress pics coming!
Awesome!
What are the room dimensions, 36 x 18?
Keep the progress pics coming!
Close. The "room" dimensions are 44'x15'. The shortline will operate in a room 30'x12'.
Far from a spagetti bowl, that is a really good looking plan, I like it.
Far from a spagetti bowl, that is a really good looking plan, I like it.
Thanks! We tried to design it so you only see 1 level of track in each scene. It should work out nicely. The only thing I am worried about is finding a place for the grain silo's. I don't want to put it on the short line. Anyways we like that, coal, and mixed frieght. We have 4 stagging tracks along the bottom wall for "run throughs" including intermodals, passenger, and reefer cars.
Great layout, big yard, place for lots of locomotives, long main line............ I would move food, the fridge and micro down stairs. I wouldn't see the light of day for days ........
Great layout, big yard, place for lots of locomotives, long main line............ I would move food, the fridge and micro down stairs. I wouldn't see the light of day for days ........
Beer/juice fridge is down there now. Recliner and TV in the corner. Getting there but summer is right around the corner and we usually take a hiatus when it gets warmer. To much to do in good weather.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)