Some new photos of my HO scale military base

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have been slowly progressing with the military base section on our layout. It's very loosely based on Camp Irwin (present day Fort Irwin) that is near Barstow, California.

I'm also ballasting the tracks in this area, so you might notice the unballasted section in the background.

Previous photos of the military base can be seen in this older post:

Military Base Old Post



Here are some new photos showing a few new additions (like the Army S1, the gate house, and the barrack/office):

base1.jpg


base2.jpg


base4.jpg


base5l.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey coming along nicely!
I like the quonset and the loading dock, looks much more complete with them.
 
Coming along nicely. I like the white Jeep by the entrance gate guard post.
 


Very well done. Please keep us posted and as always thanks for sharing
 
Thanks all.

Posting these photos made me realize I still have to paint the roofs on the buildings. Thinking about silver like the quonset hut to reflect heat. That and I have to add some window AC units. Oh and also still have to paint that loading ramp a concrete color.

Lots still to do, but I will keep posting as it progresses.


Noticed the loading dock got cut off in the latest photos so here is what it looked like a few months ago:

layoutballast3.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea and great work there. I am a fan!

I have also been considering a spur line on my layout that runs into a military base, there is an abandoned prototype about an hour and half away from here that sort of gave me the idea. But I have yet to start that project if I can find a place to make it fit into my plans.
 
Very nice man! My only suggestion is some barb wire fencing around the perimiter but I assume that is on your to do list lol. I really love how you captured that "out in the desert, restricted area" feel! For our next layout we want a modern military base/airport. We are working on a civilian airport complete with 8 foot runway now, I will have to post some pics when it gets worthy of showing the experts haha
 


just curious, what's the radius on those curves?

That's a good question. I think the tightest are 18". But I'm not sure.

My dad constructed this layout back in 1973. I wish the curves were not as tight but that's what we have so we make the best of it. Everything works pretty well without derailing, it's just that passenger cars need to have truck mounted couplers.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top