ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
This particular site is one of those rare places that one comes across that actually deals in this type of thing. Most "scrap yards" we model are those involving cars and such---maybe this could be done? i have a few---er--um---pieces that might work
---and then a small thing here----plastics plant--it was the hoppers that got me. Imagine you have a surplus of these things---use them to model this little fellow!
These hoppers sat on approximately 6' piers and only needed a couple of 6" lines to fill/empty the chambers. They would hold a number of different sizes of plastic pellets.
A simple idea---a pick up truck hauling a trailer mounted pump that is now connected to one of these hoppers and transferring pellets from hopper to a bulk carrier truck-----
My wife refers to it as a "turkey killing plant" which she worked at several years ago. That is the large squarish building there---but they also just so happen to do the feed part there but that is for their own farms---
Barry,
That plastics mill is wild with the hoppers as storage. I've never seen that before, any more photos of the way the hoppers are mounted, the way the pellets are moved, and the walkways above. Way cool.
Barry,
That plastics mill is wild with the hoppers as storage. I've never seen that before, any more photos of the way the hoppers are mounted, the way the pellets are moved, and the walkways above. Way cool.
I've got to retake some as they don't seem to be showing the detail well enough
All I can say is that they are mounted on 6-8' concrete piers, top is all one platform, and the piping is very minimalistic. A set of 6" and 10" piping is all I saw there. I seen a pick up with a trailer mounted pump being used to transfer pellets from one of the hoppers via a stiffened pipe connected to the flex pipe to a bulk trailer nearby yesterday. Did I have a camera then? Nooooo!
L-R A couple more from Well's Foundry(est. 1914) the neighbourhood has this foundry right in the middle of it--no seperate locale for this place, plastics storage facility--street on which landscaping occurs-
OK--now we have a few from the Hensell Coop Elevators in London ON---the photo on the far right shows how imperfect the concrete forming was for these bins--there were these crater like things pockmarking the bins all over the place.
And some more---This coop is quite a complicated looking little beastie. The grain driers are large enough to take up a fair bit of space. Note the structural space in the third photo...
Just to add to the fun and games I came across the Hale and Trafalgar grade seperation project--need to get more pix up here on that. The pile driver on the second from left is involved in that project.
L-R I'm almost tempted t think they're clawfoot rollers here--any suggestions as to what they are called?--Cat 816F, Old ROW for powerstation, One of many different big powerlines, trailer behind fence--