nwdrummer379
Class of '11
I've never soldered before and as I get deeper into constructing my layout I have some switches I'll need to wire and other accesories. So my question is are there any good soldering irons out there for a beginner?
Hi,
My 02c;
- Cleanliness is the key.
- Get one with an adjustable output, stand and cleaning sponge - A little more $ but much more flexibility and you'll have somewhere to put it when hot.....
- Cleanliness is the key.
- Most solders (of the non-acidic type we use) include flux, but get yourself more - It's available in tubs, pens and probably other ways but you will become religious about applying it before attempting anything else.
- Cleanliness is the key
Practice - Try "tinning" a few wires of different sizes to get an idea of when the flux boils and the solder "flows" nicely. Then try soldering wire to, eg, a big lump of metal - Notice how much extra heat is needed to get it to flow as before. etc etc....
There's some pretty good notes etc in this site; http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/ - Scroll on the left to the "soldering" tab and enjoy!
Good luck - It isn't hard with a little practice.
Cheers,
Ian
,,,purchase a Weller 30-50 watt pencil or gun type, your choice.
You must keep the tip hot and clean when using it. Use a roll of paper towel to wipe the tip about once every two minutes.
Get in the habit of resting it safely out of the way of ...... your $200 fancy structure kit...the one you just finished.
The foregoing means you should only have to tin the wire, tin the tip of the iron, or both, hold the wire tip in place against the rail, and then just touch the other side of the rail web or foot for about a count of "One...two.." and remove the iron immediately.
Selector said:Wisdom is to not use acid flux on electronics. I do use it for tracks....
Ian, by gun-type I mean the handle and probe configuration, not the induction type or fancier soldering tools. Some are pencil type, some are more like a pistol. But I don't mean the one that might also have a trigger to activate as a real pistol would.
I suppose you could dampen the roll of paper towel, but it would take a lot of water, be a heavy sodden weight, and it would be a haven for mould in no time at all in my climate. So, a lighter and dry roll also does the trick. At least, it works fine for me, and also for Tim Warris, the owner of Fast Tracks, who demonstrates his preference for that method in his online videos.
No, the only mistakes I have made with the hot probe is to leave a hole in the plastic lower surface of a tile in my suspended ceiling, and I burnt a finger once or twice. I try to be very deliberate about handling a soldering iron, including when I want to set it aside and get on to other things after using it.
As for the acid flux, it does a better job of prepping the surfaces than a plain resin flux. Unfortunately, the residue, if left undisturbed after the act of soldering, can continue to exert its acidic reactions on the metals and solder, and that often means over time a "parting of the ways". The metals corrode and the solder will actually let go. When we see a greenish tinge at old solder points, it means there is copper sulfate forming, an oxide of copper, which is the main metal in nickel-silver rails. You'll get a really good solder, generally, but maybe not very long-lasting. It is advisable to neutralize the flux residue with a toothbrush dipped in a solution of baking soda and water, scrub, rinse if you wish, and the well-executed solder should last darned near forever. Or, if you have soldered a turnout and PCB ties with acid flux, again the preferred technique for Tim Warris, he just washes the completed appliance in running water and uses a vegetable brush.
Because you wrote 100/140, I assume you have a duel heat soldering gun. If so, after using for awhile the ends of the tip that go into the gun get corroded and will not conduct very well. All you have to do is loosen and re-tighten the nuts to make good connection. If that doesn't work, remove the nuts and clean the two tip ends. BTW: 100/140 is way BIG for this hobby...maybe ok for large bus wireto jump in on this discussion, I have a weller 100/140 which sat on my shelf for 20 years. I turned it on to test it by soldering 2 wires together and it never got the wires hot enough to melt the solder. I then cleaned the tip with steel wool, but no change in the results. Held the iron to the bare wire for 2minutes
The iron was hot because it sizzled when I stuck the tip in the flux paste.
