ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Going to HO after dealing with N scale switches that where geared to run at about 150 scale MPH.
What small steam switchers are out there that will handle a 18" radius and run slow ?
Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick,
MDC made an 0-6-0 tank loco/switcher that runs very slow and should be great for yard work or short trips on the mainline. It's weighted very heavy too for very good traction.
As far as handling an 18" Radius I think it will/should.
Problem is they aren't made any more as far as I know.
I just picked up a little 0-4-0 Dockside by Model Power but it seems to want to run much faster and needed to have the axel plate tightened up considerably to get it to run right and still it's no where near as stable as the MDC.
Also check into a Mantua 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 as they use to run much slower but the ones I have are about 50 years old at this point.
HTH,
David
The Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0T is supposed to be pretty good. I have one, but I haven't put in a decoder yet.
An IHC Mogul would be good, if you don't want an 0-x-0.
Kennedy
The Mantua (now owned by Model Power) 0-4-0 is a pretty ncie little engine. I picked it up for around $20 at Hobby Lobby (with 40% off coupon). Couldn't resist!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)