ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have used the WPRR decal set from Microscale and I think they are better quality. The highball ones seem to be really thin.
Also, the engine is still in service today on the Portland & Western as the #3005.
Good work on the engine!
I installed the bell, the Pyle nose light, the front ditch lights and receptacles assembly. Next, I will install ditch lights and receptacle to the rear of the locomotive.
I'm still searching for the correct snow plow and air horn parts. Not sure what to get exactly.
Will the ditch lights be lit? I've done one or two ditch light installations and they didn't turn out as well as I would like them to.
Plow is Details West PL-303, the prototype photos show a large front opening and no MU doors, just slots. Horn looks like an RS3L or an S3 or some sort, stock horn from EMD, the horn that came with the Atlas model should be correct, just move it back to the long hood.
Thanks, I will look for a PL-303 plow. I think some SLR loco use Natan K5 but this one seem to be different.
Yes the ditch light will be lit with bulbs. I will run the wires trough a hole in the pilot. I glue the bulb with Pacer canopy glue so they can be removed easily.
There is no easy way to make working ditch lights on such a thin platform without seeing wires hanging in the front of the pilot. The rear ditch lights are mounted on the pilot face so wire won't be apparent.
Maybe micro LED's would be a better option.
Very nice job so far. Can't wait to see it painted.
I added rear ditch lights and receptacles.
Thanks, I will look for a PL-303 plow. I think some SLR loco use Natan K5 but this one seem to be different.
Yes the ditch light will be lit with bulbs. I will run the wires trough a hole in the pilot. I glue the bulb with Pacer canopy glue so they can be removed easily.
There is no easy way to make working ditch lights on such a thin platform without seeing wires hanging in the front of the pilot. The rear ditch lights are mounted on the pilot face so wire won't be apparent.
Maybe micro LED's would be a better option.
I have done numerous DL installs using 0603 Surface Mount Warm White LEDs and used magnet wire. You can barely see the wires.
I also like the fact that the wire is thin and doesn't get in the way of the shell when it goes back on the frame.
Very nice ditch lights !
I will definitively look for this option instead of using bulbs.
I have done numerous DL installs using 0603 Surface Mount Warm White LEDs and used magnet wire. You can barely see the wires.
Mark, do the class lights work on the front of this model?
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)