ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Here in Nebraska there are a lot of Silos some of which set next to the tracks.
I want to model these for my layout and wondering what is the best way to go about it. Hobby stores aren't readily available here so buying one is out of the
question. I was thinking of using the paper towel roll and airbrushing it. If someone has a better way I'm all ears.
I used PVC pipe topped with a circle of 'for sale' sign. Then I primed and painted to match the concrete silos with my Walthers grain elevator.
That great info. However most of the silos here are covered in sheet metal.
So what is the best way to do that?
Are they flat sheets with welded or bolted seams or corrugated sheets? If Flat use thin plastic over the PVC if corrugated use the metal sheets that BIS, Northeastern and others have. Attach to the PVC using 3-M 465 transfer tape then paint and weather as you like. If you can't find these locally get back to me as I stock them .
rich
rslaserkits
The Silos or bins as they're called are flat sheet metal looks to be bolted or rivets.
Now when you say to use thin plastic what kind and where do I get if from? And some of the buildings around them are corrugated again where do I get that from or what can I
use in place of? I prefer doing scratch build over kit builds because of cost and to me it's more fun. It causes me to have to think about what I'm doing.
I used PVC pipe topped with a circle of 'for sale' sign. Then I primed and painted to match the concrete silos with my Walthers grain elevator.
Anymore pictures of the grain elevator Corey?
For the plastic I know I hate to say this but Walther's has the evergreen plastic as do most of the better online shops bet even WIG WAG has it. along with the metal sheets . I think you cab get it at .01 thick I don't carry the plastic but have corrugated sheets in HO and N scale and the 3-M tape. Let me know if you need some.
To use the plastic, cut into sections about a 4 x 10 square foot size pieces. Then starting at the bottom wrap a row around your tube overlapping the edges about 2 scale inches. Then work your way up the same way and overlapping the row below. Also stagger the joints as on the prototype, normally about half a sheet. For rivets use Archer decals, much easier then punching them your self.
Corrugated is done the same way but sheets are 2-6 by 8 or 10 feet.
hope this helps. drop me a note if you need more.
rich
www.rslaserkits.com
The Silos or bins as they're called are flat sheet metal looks to be bolted or rivets.
Now when you say to use thin plastic what kind and where do I get if from? And some of the buildings around them are corrugated again where do I get that from or what can I
use in place of? I prefer doing scratch build over kit builds because of cost and to me it's more fun. It causes me to have to think about what I'm doing.
What size should the PVC be? And what is the height of your typical silo? In HO scale that is.
Stephen, here is an older shot of the overall complex. It's actually still a flour mill in my home town.
Photogdad,
The sections I used of PVC were to simulate the larger silos at the end of the mill. I used 4 inch pipe that was cut to 9 inches high. This was the same height as the Walthers grain elevator. The Walthers silos would be the equivalent to 2 inch pipe.
Corey, thanks a lot for that info.
Stephen, here is an older shot of the overall complex. It's actually still a flour mill in my home town.
The sections I used of PVC were to simulate the larger silos at the end of the mill. I used 4 inch pipe that was cut to 9 inches high. This was the same height as the Walthers grain elevator. The Walthers silos would be the equivalent to 2 inch pipe.
Thank you for the additional pic and pipe diameters

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)