Shunting...Yard Staging

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


waredbear

Member
Are there any videos on YouTube or anywhere else that shows modelers shunting cars and setting up a consist for a long haul? I've viewed a lot of them but they just show a train moving one or two cars. I'm trying to get an understanding of how the procedure is completed. I understand that a train will come in with a mixture of cars destined for several locations. The local switcher will move and jockey them around to get them in sequence for their journey down the line. I would like to see this process in action.

Thanks
 


shunting, is that what they do on hump yards? If so here's a video I shot from a local club here in NJ.

Isn't that more of a ramp yard than a hump yard? I've never seen one like that where the engine stops and the car rolls down the ramp into the yard. I like it though.
 
Shunting is British (and perhaps Euro?) for switching.

A hump yard in the US is one in which a group of cars is pushed to the top of a hill, each car is uncoupled, and the cars roll downhill individually onto a particular classification track. The cars (goods trucks, I believe) are slowed by mechanical retarders that squeeze the wheels of the car as it rolls down the hill so the contents (lading) and the cars themselves are not damaged.
 
My bad. :rolleyes: I have watched too many movies on YouTube about "switching" and most of them are...hold that pinkie out...British. I've seen some really good ones from across the pond.
 


That was really cool. How are you un-coupling? Is that delayed magnetic? Please explain how that works.

These are Kadee under the ties magnets. I use them at the class tracks without steel plate, this way they work not so strong. You can couple over the magnet. When you push the cars a little bit from the magnet they will stay coupled.

Wolfgang
 
These are Kadee under the ties magnets. I use them at the class tracks without steel plate, this way they work not so strong. You can couple over the magnet. When you push the cars a little bit from the magnet they will stay coupled. Wolfgang

Great videos. I watched all of them with real interest. When are you coming out with the next one? Your fans want to know.

I have not used Kadee couplers so I'm guessing when the coupler passes over the magnet causes the bent metal piece on the coupler to move over and then the engine can pull away. I've also noticed that you backed up and pused the cars deeper into the yard. What prevents the couplers from reconnecting?

Thanks
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top