Show us your caboose!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


All trains must display a red light or marker to be considered a train, otherwise it's considered a track unit. The red lights should come on in the opposite direction of travel.
A case in point is a train that has been split to double a hill. When the RTC says to get on the rails behind the #### West you have to visually see the red marker before you call the rails clear and jump on. Otherwise you may end up with locos coming back at you to pick up the remaining cars, it has happened. (but not to me)

The spot lights in question are used for reverse movements or track inspection when traveling forward.

Clear as mud? :)

PS: Awesome shot Paul!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice collection there. Here is a close-up of one of my triplets (27, 28, 29)...

DSC01784.jpg

I like your paint scheme Outback:cool:
 
Here is my first attempt at kitbashing. I wanted to come close to duplicating a Pointe St. Charles caboose used on the CEMR, a short line that I am basing my layout on. I started with an Athearn wide vision caboose that I bought at a swap meet for $2. I fabbed up some parts out of styrene and used decals to simulate marker and ditch lights. It is definitely not as nice as an Athabasca kit, but close enough for me.
http://http://cmmr.shawwebspace.ca/pages/view/kitbashing_-_caboose/
 


Thanks Rico - the decals were a bit of a hassle, but all in all I'm happy with it. You said you worked for the CEMR for a while - were you in this caboose? I wasn't sure if the box underneath was for tools or batteries, so I threw a fire extinguisher decal on it for the heck of it.
 
Wow, that's an Athearn?? Great job Gary!


Athearn BB cabooses are great kitbash fodder. Here's a repeat of just one I did. I changed the down angle on the cupola, rebuilt the ends, placed the proper steps on it and even cut out a new window on each side. Another cut removed the toolboxes from underneath and I built the typical SRR squirrel cage on the ends.

SRRAT1.png
 
Thanks for clearing up the marker light issue, Rico. I knew that the reds were facing the rear but didn't know what the whites were for. Not my era I guess


Here's a current project of mine (actually 1 of 2)
pics200.jpg


It's an old craftsman kit of a CPR caboose by Junrco. It just needs some grab rails added to the roof and it's ready for painting. I have a second unbuilt in the box that I want to finish up first so I can pant both at the same time.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top