Show us your caboose!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I don't have $46.95 right now, and I've seen the kit. It's more than a few steps above the level of kit assembly that I am comfortable with at the moment.
 


Nice shot Z, reminds me of the good old days when cabeese were easy to come by and the dollar was lower!
Here's a similar shot to yours.
Here's one more of a couple GWWD cabeese, what kind of pal would I be if I didn't put one up to tease Rlundy??:p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And for $46.95 you can have one. Some assembly required!!!!! ;) Plus $6 for 910.102A: MP SBW Caboose Etched Metal Upgrade with CD-ROM

Mine cost $6... :)

IMG_4161.png


IMG_4162.jpg


IMG_4191.png


...and it has the etched metal upgrade. ;)

Greg
 
Nice shot Z, reminds me of the good old days when cabeese were easy to come by and the dollar was lower!
Here's a similar shot to yours.
Here's one more of a couple GWWD cabeese, what kind of pal would I be if I didn't put one up to tease Rlundy??:p

Cool. Reminds me of the photos of the old steam locos lined up to be scraped.
What becomes of these old cabooses? I saw a steel CPR caboose the other day on an industrial siding with graffiti on it.

Thanks.
 
Old cabooses, unless sold to a shortline or hysterical society, usually end up meeting their fate at Mandak Metals or other scrap dealers.
That's when I step in and try to preserve or strip what I can from them.
The cabeese in the above shots are long gone although I believe I saved one of the GT cabs.
The CP cab you saw may still be in service, or maybe stored for a private owner.
 
Cool pics Rick. Until now I'd never seen a GWWD caboose. Thanks.

On a side note, there is an old GN caboose along the river out here in the bush and overgrown. It was from the old line here and was purchased privately to be used as a cabin. it was abandoned long ago as such and has since steadily deteriorated. I'll try to grab a pic when enough snow has melted away to get down there. It's not the safest place to travel, by Jeep or on foot!
 
Hey a pic would be cool Dunc! A friend has a bunch of GN stuff from that line, it used to end in Portage La Prairie I believe.
I have a couple old wooden cabeese left, both rotten and hard to move, you really have to keep the rooves up on those things or they go quick!
 


Actually Rick the line that came through here from ND went up to and ended in Brandon. I'll have to check into to be sure it but I think that is right. There was a huge trestle across the Souris River at Bunclody that is now gone - the line was closed and dismantled in 1936 - but the embankments are still very obvious and other portions of the ROW are still visable and discernable.
 
The 3 short bay window cabeese got their lettering today. The first 2 are prototypical, the last one is free-lanced for my railroad.

100_1603.jpg
 
Wright Trak Central of Georgia resin kit. And an Atlas Trainman relettered as a Central of Georgia. Before weathering.
 
Here's my Bay Bayou and Gulf (BB&G) transfer caboose right before I rebuilt it:
(you can see the damage to the roof support on the far side)

IMG_1806.jpg


When the shops were chopping down the full sized caboose to a transfer length, the crew requested the roof be left on full length for protection from the brutal Gulf sun, and the frequent summer thunderstorms... someone brought some lawn chairs to eat lunch out on the deck, and then they put a grill onboard for cooking said lunch... also Bubba always brings Ol' Blue to work. He's a good dog, and like to watch the rear...

In the rebuild, I beefed up the roof supports, painted the roof gray for cooling purposes, added an A/C unit on the roof, and installed a muffler for the under-slung generator.
 
Here's my Bay Bayou and Gulf (BB&G) transfer caboose right before I rebuilt it:
(you can see the damage to the roof support on the far side)

When the shops were chopping down the full sized caboose to a transfer length, the crew requested the roof be left on full length for protection from the brutal Gulf sun, and the frequent summer thunderstorms... someone brought some lawn chairs to eat lunch out on the deck, and then they put a grill onboard for cooking said lunch... also Bubba always brings Ol' Blue to work. He's a good dog, and like to watch the rear...

In the rebuild, I beefed up the roof supports, painted the roof gray for cooling purposes, added an A/C unit on the roof, and installed a muffler for the under-slung generator.

Interesting diopama. And the interesting caboose!
It is good for making individually.
 
I have some caboose from BACHMANN. I want to have more authentic model of the caboose. And I have bought it WALTHERS for 40 dollars.
Help... Who here the such did the caboose?!
In the complete set there are many additional details.
How them correctly to paint?
What color of metal details?:)
 
That's a very creative caboose, V... :)


IMG_1806.jpg


Do you have an "after" photo? I'd like to see it.

I put a loco cab that Larry gave me on my caboose...
IMG_5185.jpg


Greg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top