ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
WIP but I think these turned out pretty well. I think the logo I downloaded as a stencil was ever so slightly stretched width wise since it doesn't seem to line up with the panel lines on the prototype. Slightly diluted Vallejo Flat Brown, a dash of powder, then dabbed a lot of it off with a wet Q-tip. Technique was discovered completely by accident as I'd started to wipe off what I thought was a failed first attempt.
Plan is to give them another light fading pass with a yellowish tint, then some powders for general grime and some airbrushed earth tones on the bottom. Need to paint the hatches white too.
I've had a RBOX sitting for awhile that I wanted to do ghost letters on too, but I don't think I could make a delicate enough stencil to pull this technique off. Is there a good way to do it besides more decals?
I think that turned out pretty good!
Quite often accidents are how discoveries are made.
I only have two cars (HO) out of staging that I can find ghost lettering on…
Largely finished these AND got to run them on a real actual layout this weekend.
I spent some time on this one…
Athearn cement hopper with a number whose digits add up to 21.
Wow, is that a custom decal?
It’s a Walthers NDYX Logimex car… I painted it… no added decals…just paint..

Please share your technique there!
Fading…masking…Tamiya XF paints…Hairspray chipping…Artists oils…custom grime mix…pigments..
it was a complex process…
I have another one to do and honestly I am not sure what I did when…
The chipped grey border on the NDYX was done with Tamiya Smoke…that was one of the last things I did..LOL
Below is the original car…
Every time I think I'm getting ok at this stuff I realize I have a very long way to go.
Proudly modeling the CM, MT & SL in HO Scale
It’s a Walthers NDYX Logimex car… I painted it… no added decals…just paint..
That's impressive! I had wondered if it was paint or a decal too.
Every time I think I'm getting ok at this stuff I realize I have a very long way to go.
lol…
Proudly modeling the CM, MT & SL in HO Scale
Here's my first attempt on this patched out, rust bucket covered hopper.
Opposite side with graffiti, just for the record.
Patch I have a lot of but only one ghost lettering.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)