SD70M radius

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


It might, if the trackwork is perfect. Most of my 6 axle power is restricted to 32 in radius or more for 3 reasons. First, they are more finicky about track than 4 axle units and secondly, when pushing through a tight turn, the couplers can go so far off center they can derail whatever they are coupled to, and finally, they just look a little goofy with all that overhang.
Kinda reminds me of my great uncle Irving's gut over his belt buckle!:eek:
 


I am running 2 AC6000's an SD60i. an Sd40-2 and SD35 on 22 inch curves with no problems. You might have to do some adjustments to prevent them from riding over in low or high spots, but should not be a problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have one later production Genesis SD75M that doesn't seem to like my trackwork, even though everything else, steam and diesel alike, seems perfectly happy with it. A first issue of the SD75, also Genesis, seems just fine. :confused: My tightest curves are 24".
 
I have 4 genesis sd75's all in boxes atm. The reason they are boxed up is that they absolutely despise my temp tracks with their 26" r. All other engines and stock will roll across the temp tracks in consists up to 50 cars, but the gens won't even go thru the track solo without jumping a wheel.
 
But they should! And I feel that if one were to do a couple of things, things that a purist would probably hate in at least one case, the model would do very well. I think that the truck(s) have to be removed and pared in a few places to ensure clearances between the bumpers and the under-frame/skirting. One of my trucks seems to have more separation between it and the underframe. The other lets the superstructure sit very low, and I feel that the bumper impacts the body when the truck wants to turn in a curve, even one as wide as 80".

Or, so my eyes suggest to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I was running my Genesis IC SD70 through my clubs layout no problem. It went through #4 switches and around some tight curves flawlessly. I want to say they are about 20" at one point. Sure it looked a little goofy but no problems. Come to think of it, I didn't have a single derailment last night except when a fellow member threw a switch under my train... :rolleyes:

All my other 6 axle stuff works fine too...

Good luck!
 
I have an athearn genesis sd-70 that runs on 22" curves with no problems. Only problems it runs into is the powered frog. Likes to short out sometimes. Makes a nice blue spark though.
 


I have both kato"s and Proto's SD70's. 5 of them. All run fine on my 18in radius line and also on my 22in radius line. At all speeds. Don't look the best but they work. The first car in my 24 car freight has a long shank coupler to allow for swing.

Bob
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top