Scratchin my head

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I gotta tell you how I did my layout. Almost everyone on this forum told me to get a track plan. Didn't. Used the one that I had pictured in my brain. Mind you, I had a large layout in my building before I ripped it all out & started this one. Before the layout was 18ft wide & 34ft long w/54" table heighths. It had 2 to 4% grades, sharp curves & tons of bridges.
Now, my "Last" layout is 24ft wide by 36ft long. I have over 650 ft. of track w/2 main lines. I can run 4 long trains on 2 mainlines. I'm only DC. I have one huge scratchbuilt bridge that is 55" long & almost 3ft high. The layout is flat. No grades. When people visit they think I have a lot of grades. Don't. have a lot of long mountains down the middle of long tables, mountains in the outside corners, mountains in the 3-d background, tons of tall skyscrapers, lots of industry, large downtown area, over 150 semi's, over 100 containers, over 100 HO vehicles, over 500 figures, 60 diesel engines, no steam(yet), 16ft long by 34" w. intermodal yard(added 1 yr. after original tables were built), large dock area(added after layout built), train station w/2 long sidings(added after layout tables finished) & you can see it all at my PhotoBucket acct. which is posted on my signature.
I have tons of visitors every winter from all over the US & Canada. I spend about 6 to 8 hrs. a day 6 days a week working on my layout, weather permitting. This is my 8th layout since 1961. I'm retired.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top