SCRAM 1:1 print, transfer to layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


JasonTrain

New Member
I used to be a big fan of XTrackCad (http://www.xtrkcad.org) and it had its challenges at times, became a bit of a turn off. I've since begun using SCRAM (http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html), and for me it’s just been a better software product.

One feature it has is the means to print your layout in “real scale”, then use these prints as templates on your foam board, plywood, etc.

This is where I appear to have an issue I didn’t really think through. Curious on the ideas . . .

I’ve taped together my 50 some odd sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper to form my 8’ x 4’ layout. It looks great, I was shockingly impressed as it even allocated space for printer boarder on paper limitations. So I lay this track-plan down on my board and I started, just for size and testing, putting down some of my turnouts, Everything was lining up just perfectly, again really surprised (pleasantly).

Here is where I fell short, I don’t mean for my template to stay on my board, I’d like to use it to lay my track but then remove the paper template. I have been using pins to hold track down, again this is just testing.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? I want to use the template as it is “precise” regarding where I put my track, but I want to remove the white paper template once the track is down, I feel like a chicken before the egg type scenario.
 
Have you tried carbon paper? Put it under your print and trace the track center, it will transfer the outline to the board and you can move them as you go.
 


The ponce wheel is a fine idea.

What I did was to print a full size printout with XTrackCAD, then use a Sharpie marker which, when touched to the paper, easily penetrates the paper to leave a mark on the surface underneath. I made a series of marks at key locations throughout the layout and then "connected the dots" with a long straightedge and a flexible ruler.

- Jeff

marking_dots1.jpg


drawing_tools1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
JasonTrain

I have just laid over 100 lengths of flex on my layout and used the template from XtracCad - the simplest way if you fit your track over the template is to, prior to pushing track pins all the way, is to get a hobby knife and lightly cut from adjacent to pin to edge of paper and pull paper from under the track - when all removed complete pressing of pins and hey presto..

give it a go
 
I tried using scram last night and couldn't get it opened. Says I need updated drivers so when I get someone a little more computor savey than me to help I'll try it again. Any help would be appreciated. I have windows XP

Richard
 
I just started using SCRAM this week myself. I have tried several CAD packages in the past and I just love SCRAM. The learning curve is very shallow and it has all the features and libraries I need. In fact I have already come up with my best track plan ever after spending just 5 nights with SCRAM.

-Martin :D:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just started using SCRAM this week myself. I have tried several CAD packages in the past and I just love SCRAM. The learning curve is very shallow and it has all the features and libraries I need. In fact I have already come up with my best track plan ever after spending just 5 nights with SCRAM.

-Martin :D:D

I'm in the same place with same results. My new layout is way better then I came up with in XtrkCad. I now have elevations that I can see with tunnels and bridges shown in 3D. What's better than that? It's free.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top