scenery before track?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


cowboydfk

Member
Has any one done this?(rough scenery not ground cover or trees) I'm thinking about trying this but of course I would lay the track and road bed in the tunnel areas first.What are some good points and bad?

1 cleaner no mess on track

2 no need for masking track off
 
your track should be tested and bullet proof before starting scenery, at least that's what conventional wisdom says. would you be able to get to everything if you had to fix anything doing it in reverse?

Please yourself, but...not me! I'll stick with track first.

Good Luck!
 
Track first, no questions asked. I belong to a club and trying to fix track work when there is scenery in place already is a pain in the neck.
 


as far as wiring I can get to all of that and I only have a few switches for sidings I just hate the thought of getting plaster and paint on the track and roadbed but I might reconsider:confused:
 
Recently in a different thread there was a bit of discussion/joking about how the prototype railways were of course made by blasting/cutting into existing mountains & landscape where needed, and that it would be, uhh..."interesting" to model a complete landscape and then imitate the above mentioned prototype methods. You could be the guinea pig! :D ;)
 
Yes, track first. You can cover the track with tape to keep the debris from the plaster or whatever from getting on it.

Ballast I would put in last, the final touch.
 
I agree with everyone at the same time...:cool:

Track first, then scenery... otherwise you have an annoying job trying to remove a perfect rock outcropping (the best on the layout)... right where it gets in the way of track, or it derails your engine...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top