Running DC and its compatibility with other loco specs...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


What I mean to say is this...

I just finished my list for items to purchase for my layout and I have room to purchase one more diesel...spending about 1000 dollars in supplies for a 4x8. I already have 15 locos and 125 cars so I'm not going to be going DCC on this layout, at least, maybe way off into the future.

Question is...there is DCC Ready, DCC Equipped, DCC On Board, and who knows what else. Which of these will and wont work with straight DC. I know more than just DC locos will work...I think I have a couple of DCC Equipped locos that work fine...so you get it...enlighten me. :)
 
Depends on whether you want sound or not and what type of controller you're using. You can use most DCC with or without sound if you're using a modern DC controller. Tsunami sound decoders specifically warn against using the old sliding or rotating knob type that use a copper wound voltage regulator (rheostat) as they don't deliver the current smoothly or consistently enough. DCC Ready means it's DC with the capability of easy upgrade to DCC (quickplug) but not always sound. DCC Equipped means exactly that but not always easy sound (speaker) capability. DCC on board means the same thing. Proto 2000 have recently introduced "standard DC" which is not easy to upgrade to DCC or DCC/sound although it uses modern circuit boards for motor and lighting control, they do have DCC/sound locos as well, but not DCC Ready off the shelf.

I think the Athearn DCC ready stuff is all sound (speaker fitting) capable, i.e. there is a mounting provided in the chassis for their proprietry speakers (seem to be MRC speakers).
BLI Paragon2 DCC/sound will run well on once again modern controller equipped layouts as will their earlier "blueline" models which were DC/sound/DCC ready.

So yeah, confusing, ain't it.

There is a proviso though, multi unit or consisting is not always possible between DC and DCC equipped locos and certainly not running locos in consist tail to tail. The only ones I personally know of that will are those older "Blueline", where it was possible to insert bridging plugs into their circuit boards that cut out the "start-up" delay most if not all sound equipped locos require before moving.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I believe anything will work on DC although the bells and whistles may not.

That's what I forgot to say!. The only ones I know of that will are the earlier Athearn Genesis locos (pre Tsunami, about 08-09) that were fitted with MRC DCC/sound (they came with a hand held radio? control to operate horn etc in DC) and the aforementioned BLI's in either Blueline DC/sound or the later Paragon2 DCC/DC/sound locos, but with them you need their "DC Master" that fits into the wiring (simple hookup) between your powerpack/speed&direction controller and the track. The advantage with this is you can also adjust the CV's on either BLI type so you can run locos in true consist as well as operate the horn etc. Doesn't interfere with the operation of non-sound DC locos.
 
I already have 15 locos and 125 cars so I'm not going to be going DCC on this layout.
Why not?

Question is...there is DCC Ready, DCC Equipped, DCC On Board, and who knows what else. Which of these will and wont work with straight DC.
First, DCC ready means absolutly nothing. DCC Equipped and DCC On Board would both mean that the loco already has a decoder in them. Whether or not they will work with a DC current would depend on whether they are "dual mode" or not. You will have to check each manufactures specs to know for certain. I know many manufactures want to sell to the mass markets and have this "feature".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an athearn gp 9 with sound. lucky for me, they sent the wrong road. anyway, on dc, I did have sound, but no control on dc. I found it annoying running it this way. nothing wrong with the engine, just no way to control the sound. maybe something you may want to consider
 
I bought an athearn gp 9 with sound. lucky for me, they sent the wrong road. anyway, on dc, I did have sound, but no control on dc. I found it annoying running it this way. nothing wrong with the engine, just no way to control the sound. maybe something you may want to consider

Therefore that engine would have been a Genesis, equipped with a Tsunami DCC/sound decoder if it is a recent release (in a dark blue box), in which case you WILL need DCC control on your layout to take advantage of all the functions. You would only get the automatic sounds (Diesel engine, brake squeal etc) on a DC controlled layout. Also note the earlier warning about the type of DC controller you are using.

If it's the ealier Genesis (mostly yellow box with blue band), then it will have the MRC DCC decoder with a seperate "radio" controller for operating the bell, horn etc on a DC system with automatic sounds also.
 


I still don't have any DCC stuff and the more I hear and see of it, the more I think that I won't. I'm an old guy with many hobbies and a limited amount of time that I want to spend learning new stuff. Considering that I have no layout at this time, I guess that makes it easy to choose.

Steve
 
...

First, DCC ready means absolutly nothing. DCC ...

Actually it does. It means that at the least, the motor is completely isolated from the frame, so the modeler doesn't have to worry about doing that. At the most it means that it has a socket for a DCC decoder to be plugged in to. No hardwiring in this case.
 
What I mean to say is this...

I just finished my list for items to purchase for my layout and I have room to purchase one more diesel...spending about 1000 dollars in supplies for a 4x8. I already have 15 locos and 125 cars so I'm not going to be going DCC on this layout, at least, maybe way off into the future.

You won't need 16 diesels for a 4X8, so you can save the money. In fact, you could probably sell some of the other 15 and at least half the cars ...
 
I still don't have any DCC stuff and the more I hear and see of it, the more I think that I won't. I'm an old guy with many hobbies and a limited amount of time that I want to spend learning new stuff. Considering that I have no layout at this time, I guess that makes it easy to choose.

Steve

I'm turning 75 in a couple of weeks and aiming for 150, (got a lot o' things to do), so I'm trying to learn as much as I can (haven't got a "smart" phone yet either, but no-one calls anyway), and no layout, but DCC makes trains so much more enjoyable. Accept the challenge and keep the grey matter functioning.
 
You won't need 16 diesels for a 4X8, so you can save the money. In fact, you could probably sell some of the other 15 and at least half the cars ...

Pfft...not even.

I am a variety guy and the more trains I have the more interested I remain. More locos the better and rolling stock??? Ditto. As far as what fits on the layout at the same time...of course only a small fraction of my roster will be simultaneously utilized. But that's what I like about the hobby...trains and detailed scenery. The less I see my locos and rolling stock, the fresher they stay to my eye.
 
G'day..If I was turning 75 soon it'd mean one thing for certain...I'd be retired and spending as much time as possible modelling trains..Go for it with DCC..I was the same , very unsure of leaving DC...but once I bought my first sound loco , the main reason I wanted to do DCC,, I was even more hooked than before..It was an Atlas 8-40 CW..with Quantum sound...and it's still a favourite...Now I have 11 sounders and another 8-9 DCC non sound...The other great thing is that you can run a layout analog alongside as long as your tracks are seperated with DCC...if you wish. Occasionally I disconnect the NCE powercab and drag out my old Bachmann dial controllers and run some old non digital locos for a while..especially a few old SD40-2s I bought to start with...Ease into DCC....I reckon...but sound brings it alive...On my original layout I built a Madison Central track plan on the inner track , totally DC analog but my double main track was DCC..Worked a treat...Ran two consists in DCC and one in DC...As someone once said...."The fun is in the journey"....That sums up model rail perfectly for me... Cheers Rod...
 
Pfft...not even.

I am a variety guy and the more trains I have the more interested I remain. More locos the better and rolling stock??? Ditto. As far as what fits on the layout at the same time...of course only a small fraction of my roster will be simultaneously utilized. But that's what I like about the hobby...trains and detailed scenery. The less I see my locos and rolling stock, the fresher they stay to my eye.

To paraphrase; Variety is the spice of model railroading. ;)
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top