Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ran my new Kato ED16 around last night and noticed that the headlight was very dim in one direction. Then I flipped the loco around and ran it and the headlight was nice and bright. Didn't think much of it for some reason.

Today, took the body off to see what was inside and noticed that the headlight runner on one end is missing. Made sure that the lense wasn't stuck to the cab.
View attachment 274720View attachment 274721
View attachment 274722View attachment 274723

Wrote to Kato, who don't like responding, and let them know. I brought up that I hope it isn't a factory defect and asked if they could send me a replacement lense as I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back to the retailer, only to get another defective one back.
Aren't some locos set up to have the headlight bright when traveling forward and dimmed when in reverse? This may not be a flaw.

John
 


Good morning all. Continuing to enjoy the nice, cool temps. Typhoon is steering in a favorable track and it is guessed that we will have cloudy, breezy days. The bright yellow thing may pop out tomorrow.

Right eye vision reminds me of watching an old TV with rabbit ears. A bit grainy and unclear. The big floaties are slowly dissipating and am actually looking forward to seeing the doc on Friday. It'll be another wait all day for a 5 minute consultation and I hope it will be with the surgeon, Dr. K. Friday is when he is supposed to be there.

Two more weeks of not lifting anything over 5 Kg (11 lbs). Can't wait as I am slowly dwindling away. BP looks better at 115/80, but the diastolic seems high as compared to the systolic. Will continue to take readings first thing in the morning and will send to the base doc. Continuing to not take the lisinopril for now.

You folks' temps seem to have plummeted. You went from summer to winter with nothing inbetween.
 
Good evening. It’s currently cloudy and 81.
The dimming when stopped or backing is called Rule 17. It is in the US and Canada, and probably also Mexico, though I’ve never checked. Model train companies long ago started having directional lighting, which at the time they started doing it was a rough approximation of rule 17. It’s now turned into something of a tradition with model trains, though IRL it is not how it really works.
 
Good evening folks, 75 here right now, only got to 81 today, a beautiful day. Both Church Services were good today, we went to lunch at Arby's between them. It's quick, tasty and allows us to get back to Church in time for Andra to write out checks. [She's our Church's Bookkeeper ].
Got home last night to find an Amtrak car waiting for me from an Ebay sale. Listed as N Scale but the one that arrived is HO. Contacted the Seller who stated he has no idea about MR stuff and allowed Ebay's AI to write the description. If I wanted to return it, I would have to pay postage again to get the refund on the car itself or he would give me a partial refund and I keep the [useless to me] car. What a nice guy. His feedback will not be Positive.
Anyway, you guys have a good evening.
 
Good morning all. Continuing to enjoy the nice, cool temps. Typhoon is steering in a favorable track and it is guessed that we will have cloudy, breezy days. The bright yellow thing may pop out tomorrow.

Right eye vision reminds me of watching an old TV with rabbit ears. A bit grainy and unclear. The big floaties are slowly dissipating and am actually looking forward to seeing the doc on Friday. It'll be another wait all day for a 5 minute consultation and I hope it will be with the surgeon, Dr. K. Friday is when he is supposed to be there.

Two more weeks of not lifting anything over 5 Kg (11 lbs). Can't wait as I am slowly dwindling away. BP looks better at 115/80, but the diastolic seems high as compared to the systolic. Will continue to take readings first thing in the morning and will send to the base doc. Continuing to not take the lisinopril for now.

You folks' temps seem to have plummeted. You went from summer to winter with nothing inbetween.

This is a short sample of the BP readings they took from me. They are all over the map:


118/74 mmHg

Sep 16, 2026 05:40 AM
114/71 mmHg


Sep 16, 2026 01:31 AM
102/68 mmHg


Sep 15, 2026 09:31 PM
112/69 mmHg


Sep 15, 2026 05:52 PM
101/53 mmHg


Sep 15, 2026 02:02 PM
90/58 mmHg


Sep 15, 2026 09:58 AM
111/63 mmHg


Sep 15, 2026 05:43 AM
104/58 mmHg


Sep 15, 2026 01:28 AM
109/65 mmHg

Sep 14, 2026 09:49 PM
105/61 mmHg
 
1791159207624.png
 


Got home last night to find an Amtrak car waiting for me from an Ebay sale. Listed as N Scale but the one that arrived is HO. Contacted the Seller who stated he has no idea about MR stuff and allowed Ebay's AI to write the description. If I wanted to return it, I would have to pay postage again to get the refund on the car itself or he would give me a partial refund and I keep the [useless to me] car. What a nice guy. His feedback will not be Positive.
Complain directly to eBay. I haven’t used eBay in years but occasionally see stuff on the eBay Reddit. You can request return due to not matching description. eBay will regulate it.
 
called Rule 17
I guess they do it in Japan as well, since my HO EF58's DCC decoder does it. I haven't noticed if the other decoder manufacturer does it or not. But that's DCC only, not DC.

Anyway, Kato Japan answered and I have to send the model back to them, so out came the fiber. I hope they don't notice or mind the blue tac that I put in to keep the red from bleeding into the front windshield when I put in the tail light mod.
 
I love Rush and especially Neil Peart
I do too, but his drum solos are always too long!
Lousy day for my sports teams.
The Ravens won! Big Blue, The New York Football Giants won too! Both finished the game with backup quarterbacks. The Giants started the game with their backup QB, Jamison Winston; 2015's NFL Rookie of the Year, 2019's NFL Passing yards leader and he is a former Pro Bowl player also in 2019. It pays to have an experienced backup QB.
 
This is a short sample of the BP readings they took from me. They are all over the map:
First- I am not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV. But i do have some experience with blood pressure.

Those readings don't look too bad. The one that did catch my eye - 90/58 worked out to a Mean Arterial Pressure (MAP) of 69.
A MAP ≥60 mmHg is believed to be needed to maintain adequate tissue perfusion.
A MAP ≥65 mmHg is recommended in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock by the Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines Committee.

You are on the safe side and still on the right side of the grass! Keep up the good work and thanks for the updates. You weathered quite a storm.
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with BPs

It's Troy again.

Well, another week, and another CD or two have fallen into my order cart on the big river store.

Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 5.16.17 AM.png


Louis: Neil Peart was referred to as "The Professor"
In the tribute documentary on his legacy, I learned that to pursue his craft farther, after already being an iconic drummer, he spent time training with a Jazz Drummer of reknown. I couldn't remember his name, so I asked the AI overlords:
Neil Peart trained with two primary jazz drummers who significantly influenced his technique: Freddie Gruber and Peter Erskine.

  • Freddie Gruber: Peart began studying with Gruber in 1994 after being impressed by the improvement of drummer Steve Smith. Gruber helped Peart rebuild his technique from the ground up, incorporating jazz swing components and a more fluid sense of time into his rock playing.
  • Peter Erskine: In 2007 (some sources cite 2008 for the performance impact), Peart studied with Erskine, a jazz-fusion drummer known for his work with Weather Report. Erskine focused on helping Peart improve his "chops and groove," specifically through metronome work and improvisation.

And, Peart was told by drummers like Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith: "You get the air drummers (at concerts)... How do you get the air drummers? I want the air drummers too!"

So, When the Professor of prog-rock drumming speaks with his sticks... one should pay attention.

Here's a good chance to practice your air drumming.


BTW: he called Chad Smith right after the show and said "I dropped my stick on Letterman"

Se if you can catch it. It's a blink and miss it moment.
 


I am a fan of Department 56's Christmas Village buildings and figurines; they are the best! If you enjoy their stuff, check out this thread.

I know I have a few more Dept 56 things, but I can't remember which ones. Of course, I remember this one.
1791197405355.png
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top