Running Bear's June 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with two left feet.

It's Troy again.

I survived the HOA meeting.

Sounds like there are a very small minority of squeaky wheels in the community. Guys with no children and landscaping/horticultural degrees, who want everyone to conform to their way of thinking.

One of them, Chris, who ran for the board previously, and didn't make it, even comment that the dates to have holiday decor out that go a full month or more (Halloween and Christmas only), are too long. Because "Come On! Halloween is only a day. You just need two days for it."

I turned to him and said. "Dude! Halloween is a seasons that begins the day after labor day. The time allotted for decor isn't long enough."

Which got an eye roll from him.

A few moments later "Chris" complained that there are chipmunks destroying his front stoop, and burrowing under his unit. People need to stop feeding the animals.

People are feeding the chipmunks? people asked...

well, all the animals. stop feeding them all, the geese, the rodents, the feral cats.

I asked "Even bird feeders? get rid of them?"

He nodded enthusiastically as if that would make the chipmunks leave. And the geese leave. Never mind all the oak and walnut trees in the neighborhood.

Oh, he has a unit along the front row that overlooks the big pond. Next, he's going to tell us the fish in the pond are too noisy. The kids with the poles should stop feeding them worms.

After a lot of discussion, the prez cut it off, and had the board vote.

It was a look of utter exasperation on all of them as they voted to approve the new measures.

I would have voted no, but they need closure on it. They're trapped between Chris and a few others that say the rules don't go far enough. And a now vocal majority that say they're biting off too much, and we need some more freedom, or at least standards.

I've got a problem with some of the language in the articles. The grandfather clause for stuff that might have been approved on accident - like I've got a new 2-light window that used to be 3-light. Our plan was approved by the appropriates. But I'm going to have to submit a form so they know it's an issue and it was approved. New language approved said it can remain as is until major rennovations to the exterior of our unit.

Like redoing the concrete patio that we want to do in five years or so.

Or, slightly more than half the buildings are still scheduled for siding replacement. Ooops... sorry, your grandfathered stuff is no longer grandfathered. Shell out for new (whatever).

While I'd love to not have an HOA, we're three years away from paying this place off. And the housing market is inflated right now. I don't want to take a 3 year pay-off window, and turn it into a 15 year payoff. Wife doesn't want to pull from our retirement funds to make a move like that. And she likes the walking trails and no maintenance.

So, moving isn't an option. Especially with her arthritis onset, she doesn't want a yard to look after.

That means, I'll probably run for the board, and hope to keep Chis and his anti-chipmunk buddies off.
 


Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with two left feet.

It's Troy again.

I survived the HOA meeting.

Sounds like there are a very small minority of squeaky wheels in the community. Guys with no children and landscaping/horticultural degrees, who want everyone to conform to their way of thinking.

One of them, Chris, who ran for the board previously, and didn't make it, even comment that the dates to have holiday decor out that go a full month or more (Halloween and Christmas only), are too long. Because "Come On! Halloween is only a day. You just need two days for it."

I turned to him and said. "Dude! Halloween is a seasons that begins the day after labor day. The time allotted for decor isn't long enough."

Which got an eye roll from him.

A few moments later "Chris" complained that there are chipmunks destroying his front stoop, and burrowing under his unit. People need to stop feeding the animals.

People are feeding the chipmunks? people asked...

well, all the animals. stop feeding them all, the geese, the rodents, the feral cats.

I asked "Even bird feeders? get rid of them?"

He nodded enthusiastically as if that would make the chipmunks leave. And the geese leave. Never mind all the oak and walnut trees in the neighborhood.

Oh, he has a unit along the front row that overlooks the big pond. Next, he's going to tell us the fish in the pond are too noisy. The kids with the poles should stop feeding them worms.

After a lot of discussion, the prez cut it off, and had the board vote.

It was a look of utter exasperation on all of them as they voted to approve the new measures.

I would have voted no, but they need closure on it. They're trapped between Chris and a few others that say the rules don't go far enough. And a now vocal majority that say they're biting off too much, and we need some more freedom, or at least standards.

I've got a problem with some of the language in the articles. The grandfather clause for stuff that might have been approved on accident - like I've got a new 2-light window that used to be 3-light. Our plan was approved by the appropriates. But I'm going to have to submit a form so they know it's an issue and it was approved. New language approved said it can remain as is until major rennovations to the exterior of our unit.

Like redoing the concrete patio that we want to do in five years or so.

Or, slightly more than half the buildings are still scheduled for siding replacement. Ooops... sorry, your grandfathered stuff is no longer grandfathered. Shell out for new (whatever).

While I'd love to not have an HOA, we're three years away from paying this place off. And the housing market is inflated right now. I don't want to take a 3 year pay-off window, and turn it into a 15 year payoff. Wife doesn't want to pull from our retirement funds to make a move like that. And she likes the walking trails and no maintenance.

So, moving isn't an option. Especially with her arthritis onset, she doesn't want a yard to look after.

That means, I'll probably run for the board, and hope to keep Chis and his anti-chipmunk buddies off.

Hey Troy,
Is this Chris??



1781574372459.png
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with two left feet.

It's Troy again.

I survived the HOA meeting.

Sounds like there are a very small minority of squeaky wheels in the community. Guys with no children and landscaping/horticultural degrees, who want everyone to conform to their way of thinking.

One of them, Chris, who ran for the board previously, and didn't make it, even comment that the dates to have holiday decor out that go a full month or more (Halloween and Christmas only), are too long. Because "Come On! Halloween is only a day. You just need two days for it."

I turned to him and said. "Dude! Halloween is a seasons that begins the day after labor day. The time allotted for decor isn't long enough."

Which got an eye roll from him.

A few moments later "Chris" complained that there are chipmunks destroying his front stoop, and burrowing under his unit. People need to stop feeding the animals.

People are feeding the chipmunks? people asked...

well, all the animals. stop feeding them all, the geese, the rodents, the feral cats.

I asked "Even bird feeders? get rid of them?"

He nodded enthusiastically as if that would make the chipmunks leave. And the geese leave. Never mind all the oak and walnut trees in the neighborhood.

Oh, he has a unit along the front row that overlooks the big pond. Next, he's going to tell us the fish in the pond are too noisy. The kids with the poles should stop feeding them worms.

After a lot of discussion, the prez cut it off, and had the board vote.

It was a look of utter exasperation on all of them as they voted to approve the new measures.

I would have voted no, but they need closure on it. They're trapped between Chris and a few others that say the rules don't go far enough. And a now vocal majority that say they're biting off too much, and we need some more freedom, or at least standards.

I've got a problem with some of the language in the articles. The grandfather clause for stuff that might have been approved on accident - like I've got a new 2-light window that used to be 3-light. Our plan was approved by the appropriates. But I'm going to have to submit a form so they know it's an issue and it was approved. New language approved said it can remain as is until major rennovations to the exterior of our unit.

Like redoing the concrete patio that we want to do in five years or so.

Or, slightly more than half the buildings are still scheduled for siding replacement. Ooops... sorry, your grandfathered stuff is no longer grandfathered. Shell out for new (whatever).

While I'd love to not have an HOA, we're three years away from paying this place off. And the housing market is inflated right now. I don't want to take a 3 year pay-off window, and turn it into a 15 year payoff. Wife doesn't want to pull from our retirement funds to make a move like that. And she likes the walking trails and no maintenance.

So, moving isn't an option. Especially with her arthritis onset, she doesn't want a yard to look after.

That means, I'll probably run for the board, and hope to keep Chis and his anti-chipmunk buddies off.

Does Major Hochstetter and General Burkhalter show up for these meetings, or do they run the place from Berlin?
 
1781596032449.png
Good morning Coffee Shop! It's Tuesday, 61°F (16°C) and clear.
:cool:

Weather:
Mostly sunny toward daybreak then partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Have a great day! ;)
DINER_WAFFLES.png
 
Todd, the little goat is cute, but I can't let my wife see that post. She wants a herd of pygmy goats for our Border Collie to herd, and I keep telling here model railroader families don't keep goats!
Karl: Pygmy's are pretty benign and will keep the grass/weeds/whatever down really good. If you have the room, let your wife go nuts and have fun! Their staples are pretty much Water, Hay, 3Way grain, and the grass// as above. Don't get a Buck unless you are ready ... pretty odoriferous. In our case, Maria only pursues papered pure breed. And you thought that last Engine you got was expensive! Oh, almost forgot ... get a Goose too and throw her in with the crowd. You will just enjoy the Pygmy's getting in a line and waiting for the Goose to clean their ears.. they taxi up one at a time and stand there; well at least ours did - brown/white thing named Chocolate. She would also come up between us and join in our conversations - almost like she knew what we were/are talking about; don't forget the eggs for Pasta..

L8r
 


Good morning all!

Weather guessers say some rain might roll thru the area this morning than clear up to be mostly sunny. Currently its 58F with
an expected high of around 72F. Looks like a cool pattern at least thru the weekend.

Have a couple loads of laundry and the dishwasher to empty from last night. Other than that not much going on at the moment.

Have a safe day everyone!
 
Good morning all!

Weather guessers say some rain might roll thru the area this morning than clear up to be mostly sunny. Currently its 58F with
an expected high of around 72F. Looks like a cool pattern at least thru the weekend.

Have a couple loads of laundry and the dishwasher to empty from last night. Other than that not much going on at the moment.

Have a safe day everyone!
Okay, my new glasses may need an adjustment. I thought the above said “have a couple of loads of laundry in the dishwasher”…
 
Wife just came upstairs and told me we had an earthquake. Said she yelled it up earlier, but I didn't hear it. I also didn't feel it since I wasn't sitting down. If I'm standing, then my normal swaying and staggering negates the earthquake effect.

Funny that my phone didn't start screaming. Must not have been all that after all.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top