Running Bear's June 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's 76 and clear.
Leaving work early today to get seen by an orthopedic doc over my finger, and I'll be giving a call to the electrician/plumbing place about the issue I discovered yesterday. Then off tomorrow, because my days off have to be fair to everybody.
 
59°F/56°F this chilly morning. At this hour, I expect the temp to fall another degree or two before sunrise.

Willow woke me at 0430 this morning to go out and pee. It was either her or the neighbor with his turbo-Diesel alarm clock. So I find myself standing in my backyard at 0445 watching the sun rise. Still too early for that though. I haven't been up this early since I was working.

Nothing planned for today except a nap later. For now, I'm going to put some Grand Biscuits in the oven in a few minutes and see if a couple of those will keep me awake until lunch.

Have a wakeful day today! Servus.
 
Good morning gang!

62° this morning under sunny skies, looking for a high today of 75°.

Short work week this week. Friday, I am off due to the fact that I worked last Saturday. Plus, I am off the entire next week. Will be heading to North Carolina for most of that week to visit with the grandkids. They are south of Raleigh. Also may take a day to run over to the Coast and visit my sister in Wilmington. Just have to survive the next four days.

BBL
 


Good Morning All!
51F @ 59% no rain and dark.

For those interested: Lil is only getting 3 bottles a day now. She has been face planting in the Goat Chow and munching a ton of grass. Still not drinking water from a dish, but that might be from getting enough from the bottle and the grazing she does.
Before:
IMGP1228.JPG


Yesterday:
IMGP1238.JPG

Maria started weening her from sleeping in the house last night. Brought her in about 2300. Probably do that for a couple of nights, then it is 'all night baby'.

L8r
 
Yea, I would love for this place to be legit. They have a couple of things that are getting pretty scarce at other places, and they
are a bit cheaper than those other places.

They also offer free shipping on anything over $99.00.

They seem legitimate, but they have very little stock on hand except for Atlas track. I checked through figures, structures, Diesel and electric locomotives, and passenger rolling stock. I did not find one item in-stock. It was all located at an 'affiliate warehouse' which in English means they have to order it from a distributor. It just may have been the luck of the draw, but I tried to select what I thought were common for US railroads.

If you don't mind the wait, I say go for it- but you are at the mercy of the time they take to place the order (and there might be a minimum for them to order), how long it takes for the DC to ship, and then of course, the inept shipping company shenanigans.

It wouldn't be my first stop for my railroading hobby.
 
Last edited:
There was concern/mass hysteria/hype/etc about this topic on the other side of the pond as well, after a long standing train show ended their run. The issue was that the people who ran the show were retiring and nobody wanted to take it over. This, of course, was revved up as the youngsters are not interested. But voila! Another show popped up out of the ether, so huh? Clickbait?
I’m not sure about it being click bait but the “hobby is dying” is something I’ve heard since the 70’s. It was a subject near and dear to the model railroad magazine editors. Now I usually see it talked about in conjunction with the possibly dying NMRA.

As a kid of the 50’s and 60’s I started with O27 Lionel, moved to slot cars, golf and trains. From my 20’s till 2 years ago it’s been trains and golf. Recently the slot cars again have entered the picture. Model Trains I believe will always be around
 
Last edited:
Morning all,

On Saturday, we were making no plans for Sunday, when the kids asked if we could take the oldest granddaughter to meet them after a driving school they enrolled the grandson in. We said yes, which ended up getting changed, and we ended up taking our son along the Kansas 13.2 miles of Rt 66, as he'd never been. What was different was a lot of the places were open, so we got to meet some nice folks and learn more in depth about an area of Kansas we only get briefly in the history books. The boy has a Master's in history and does nothing with it. It was the first time I'd seen it actually marked. I know, it is it's 100th anniversary...
 
Good morning. Too good too be true is something to remember. My Ai friend reminded me of that truism when I scanned the

IMG_7243.png


page to it. Basically said the storefront is real. The business is legit but the number of complaints because of the long shipping delays is overwhelming for a business to be successful for long.

### The Verdict

They are entirely legitimate and not a scam site, but they operate at a slower, small-shop pace. If you need parts or scenery supplies with a tight project deadline, the distributor lag and communication gaps might frustrate you. If you aren't in a rush and want to take advantage of good pricing on hard-to-find HO components, they are worth a shot—just expect that it might take a couple of weeks to hit your doorstep.

Take that verdict for what it’s worth! My take, stay away…
###################################################################################################################–

Weather in Wisconsin! 55 now 77f degrees later

Terry has PT later this morning and will drop me off at the shop and hours later pick me up. It’s a decent 2 mile walk but the last mile is rough trails. If I’d walk the sidewalks all the way it is 3.5 miles per the grandson’s odometer on his scooter. The City of Verona does not allow ATV’s access to the streets, the Town of Verona does. I ‘d have to use City streets to get there, the ticket is not worth it.

I want to finish a few little projects before starting back in on the paper mill and today should be a quiet day there. Terry when she picks me up will join me inspecting our possible living quarters while the house gets built. Right now the space is plumbed out, drywalled and painted a bright white. It will need to be divided and finished off. It is 32’ x 48’ above the stables so more than big enough. I’d be ok with it. It has its own entrances.

No matter how you feel about the UP and NS possibility of combining you have to be enjoying the videos of 4014 running east of the Mississippi River and yesterday of seeing Reading’s 2102 passing UP 4014 in Scranton. 4014 is now on display at Steamtown till 6/30 with ticketed viewing only! The Muesum has its own static Big Boy I believe 4012. They will be on adjacent tracks there…

Enjoy your day
 
Last edited:


Morning all,

On Saturday, we were making no plans for Sunday, when the kids asked if we could take the oldest granddaughter to meet them after a driving school they enrolled the grandson in. We said yes, which ended up getting changed, and we ended up taking our son along the Kansas 13.2 miles of Rt 66, as he'd never been. What was different was a lot of the places were open, so we got to meet some nice folks and learn more in depth about an area of Kansas we only get briefly in the history books. The boy has a Master's in history and does nothing with it. It was the first time I'd seen it actually marked. I know, it is it's 100th anniversary...
Well you definitely can say you’ve driven all of Route 66 in Kansas. I have done all of it in Illinois and more that 1/2 in Missouri. Seen parts of it in New Mexico and Texas. We were going to drive it all a few years ago starting in Chicago but gave up in Missouri. I had asked last year about trying again but the answer was no and I agreed. My brother suggested we take the bikes last year but I hadn’t driven a bike in years and didn’t think it was a great idea having that much horse power under me
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with wheels of one sort or another.

It's Troy again.

Still waiting on my beta readers to get their feedback to me. The book is pretty darn clean, but one did find a continuity error that I hadn't noticed. So a few more reports will be good. It's releasing in 12 days, and I want to get another version cleaner uploaded by Thursday.

Wife stayed in bed extra long this morning. She said she feels like she was involved in a minor collision the way her body aches. I'm not happy with how fast this arthritis is progressing. Two weeks ago it was just her hands. Two weeks before that it was just a her index fingers and thumbs.

Now it's her entire body aches.

Hoping all the lab results hit the computer today, and she can put a poke into her doc and get that stuff reviewed. Looks like there are drugs that are first line of defense to keep it at bay. She wants to start those ASAP.

In other news, tonight is our HOA board meeting. The contingent of the board that I'm calling "the Chair Police" are gung-ho to get a bunch of rules for what we can have where, what forms need to be filled out, etc. are pushing through rules changes. Some rules do need clarification. They really dislike having people sitting on their front porches facing the walking paths through the neighborhood. Evidently Midwest Nice and Hoosier Hospitality don't mean anything to this small group of neighborhood rules-n@z!s.

I'm sure our porch has three violations right now.
Screenshot 2026-06-15 at 9.22.46 AM.png


Four if you count the mat to wipe our shoes off. Bricks are not mentioned, but they'll probably throw a fit about it too.

Here's what one can see from the walking path.
Screenshot 2026-06-15 at 9.23.03 AM.png


Oh, and the two-light window above our porch was approved, but if the window is ever replaced, it has to go back to a three light like the neighbor's window next to it. Because we all have to be assimilated into the borg collective.

Yep, the meeting might get lit tonight.
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with wheels of one sort or another.

It's Troy again.

Still waiting on my beta readers to get their feedback to me. The book is pretty darn clean, but one did find a continuity error that I hadn't noticed. So a few more reports will be good. It's releasing in 12 days, and I want to get another version cleaner uploaded by Thursday.

Wife stayed in bed extra long this morning. She said she feels like she was involved in a minor collision the way her body aches. I'm not happy with how fast this arthritis is progressing. Two weeks ago it was just her hands. Two weeks before that it was just a her index fingers and thumbs.

Now it's her entire body aches.

Hoping all the lab results hit the computer today, and she can put a poke into her doc and get that stuff reviewed. Looks like there are drugs that are first line of defense to keep it at bay. She wants to start those ASAP.

In other news, tonight is our HOA board meeting. The contingent of the board that I'm calling "the Chair Police" are gung-ho to get a bunch of rules for what we can have where, what forms need to be filled out, etc. are pushing through rules changes. Some rules do need clarification. They really dislike having people sitting on their front porches facing the walking paths through the neighborhood. Evidently Midwest Nice and Hoosier Hospitality don't mean anything to this small group of neighborhood rules-n@z!s.

I'm sure our porch has three violations right now.
View attachment 267799

Four if you count the mat to wipe our shoes off. Bricks are not mentioned, but they'll probably throw a fit about it too.

Here's what one can see from the walking path.
View attachment 267801

Oh, and the two-light window above our porch was approved, but if the window is ever replaced, it has to go back to a three light like the neighbor's window next to it. Because we all have to be assimilated into the borg collective.

Yep, the meeting might get lit tonight.

Our first home (townhouse) was in an HOA. I kept my pooper scooper on my front porch. I received "that letter" stating I was in violation of some HOA etiquette rule. I went to the monthly HOA meeting and looked right at the president as I said, " I pick up after my dog. When are you going to start?". The issue was dropped and I never had a problem leaving it on our porch again.

In some ways having an HOA is good if it's not militant, but there's too many Karen's and Chad's now that have way too much time on their hands. My brothers development has a very reasonable HOA. It's just there to make sure you keep your yard maintained and your vehicles are parked in your driveway or garage.

We've never lived in one since. We're currently the only street/neighborhood around us that doesn't have one.....thankfully.
 
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 70°, heading up to just 83° later on. The rain has been removed from today's forecast. Yesterday morning's rainfall totaled 2.15"

I'll return Tom O's favor and pick up the tab on all drinks in the Coffee Shop this morning.

Usual chores yesterday, without the outdoor stuff. But all of the standing water has drained so I might be able to do something later today. Picked Tomatoes yesterday; it has become a daily thing now (Hooray!), which can be done anytime. Meanwhile, we're going to town this morning for TP, since my wife forgot to realize it was low last week. We'll do a Target run, I'll take some pool water in for a follow-up test and we'll probably stop at the DG Market on the way back home.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with my latest project area. I redid the area around the ground throw that I was unhappy with. I also started the road markings using the stick-on ones instead of the paint that I used to use.

Alan - I'm the same way about making a charcoal fire for just two steaks; worse for a couple of pieces of fish. I always have hot links or dinner sausage cooking as well.
It normally doesn't rain as much here as in Milwaukee, so I generally don't have to mow as often, so I am on an 8 day schedule. But parts of the area that I keep mowed (~3 acres total) only get it every 12-14 days. It looks quite rough as well.
Terry -
For any of us in the US, today is Flag Day.
I think that it was also someone's birthday.
Troy - The Coven Mansion turned out really nicely.

Everybody have a great Monday.
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with wheels of one sort or another.

It's Troy again.

Still waiting on my beta readers to get their feedback to me. The book is pretty darn clean, but one did find a continuity error that I hadn't noticed. So a few more reports will be good. It's releasing in 12 days, and I want to get another version cleaner uploaded by Thursday.

Wife stayed in bed extra long this morning. She said she feels like she was involved in a minor collision the way her body aches. I'm not happy with how fast this arthritis is progressing. Two weeks ago it was just her hands. Two weeks before that it was just a her index fingers and thumbs.

Now it's her entire body aches.

Hoping all the lab results hit the computer today, and she can put a poke into her doc and get that stuff reviewed. Looks like there are drugs that are first line of defense to keep it at bay. She wants to start those ASAP.

In other news, tonight is our HOA board meeting. The contingent of the board that I'm calling "the Chair Police" are gung-ho to get a bunch of rules for what we can have where, what forms need to be filled out, etc. are pushing through rules changes. Some rules do need clarification. They really dislike having people sitting on their front porches facing the walking paths through the neighborhood. Evidently Midwest Nice and Hoosier Hospitality don't mean anything to this small group of neighborhood rules-n@z!s.

I'm sure our porch has three violations right now.
View attachment 267799

Four if you count the mat to wipe our shoes off. Bricks are not mentioned, but they'll probably throw a fit about it too.

Here's what one can see from the walking path.
View attachment 267801

Oh, and the two-light window above our porch was approved, but if the window is ever replaced, it has to go back to a three light like the neighbor's window next to it. Because we all have to be assimilated into the borg collective.

Yep, the meeting might get lit tonight.
I am in no way connected to the medical community but have your wife get checked for Lyme disease. Those are very similar to aches and pains I’ve had twice and both time it ended up being Lymes
 


I am in no way connected to the medical community but have your wife get checked for Lyme disease. Those are very similar to aches and pains I’ve had twice and both time it ended up being Lymes
Probably on the radar, but the doc said it sounded more like arthritis than lyme since it began in small joints (finger and thumb) rather than major joints like knees.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top