Running Bear's June 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps

It's Troy again.

Spent the last few days gluing foam bits to other foam bits. And assembling the abbey/mansion building for the layout.

Abbey 1.jpg

Abbey 2.jpg


Because it was printed in sections, there are some seams and joints that will probably get some extra ivy or other weathering/plant life.

The building has three floors plus a roof, but the roof pieces really needed to be glued to the level below for support. I opted to make each floor a complete structure. In real life the building is designed to be kept in sections so that adventurers in a Dungeons & Dragons' game can explore it one room at a time.

My goal is to to get it painted and weathered, then lit with LEDs inside.

Here's a shot with a 15mm (1:100 scale) figure on a balcony. I need to print some up at 1:87 for a true look at HO scale with this.

Abbey 3.jpg
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps

It's Troy again.

Spent the last few days gluing foam bits to other foam bits. And assembling the abbey/mansion building for the layout.

View attachment 267752
View attachment 267753

Because it was printed in sections, there are some seams and joints that will probably get some extra ivy or other weathering/plant life.

The building has three floors plus a roof, but the roof pieces really needed to be glued to the level below for support. I opted to make each floor a complete structure. In real life the building is designed to be kept in sections so that adventurers in a Dungeons & Dragons' game can explore it one room at a time.

My goal is to to get it painted and weathered, then lit with LEDs inside.

Here's a shot with a 15mm (1:100 scale) figure on a balcony. I need to print some up at 1:87 for a true look at HO scale with this.

View attachment 267754
Very nice.
 


Well, howdy there internet peeps

It's Troy again.

Spent the last few days gluing foam bits to other foam bits. And assembling the abbey/mansion building for the layout.

View attachment 267752
View attachment 267753

Because it was printed in sections, there are some seams and joints that will probably get some extra ivy or other weathering/plant life.

The building has three floors plus a roof, but the roof pieces really needed to be glued to the level below for support. I opted to make each floor a complete structure. In real life the building is designed to be kept in sections so that adventurers in a Dungeons & Dragons' game can explore it one room at a time.

My goal is to to get it painted and weathered, then lit with LEDs inside.

Here's a shot with a 15mm (1:100 scale) figure on a balcony. I need to print some up at 1:87 for a true look at HO scale with this.

View attachment 267754
Beautiful! Can you post a pic with a 28mm figure too?
 
I was a bit suspicious since some of their prices seemed a little too good!
AI pics? Yeah, need to be careful as I got rooked earlier, almost twice, one in US and the other in JP. I did report the US one to the govt fraud site and the CC refunded me.

edit: did find them on the map.
 
Last edited:
AI pics? Yeah, need to be careful as I got rooked earlier, almost twice, one in US and the other in JP. I did report the US one to the govt fraud site and the CC refunded me.

edit: did find them on the map.
Yea, I would love for this place to be legit. They have a couple of things that are getting pretty scarce at other places, and they
are a bit cheaper than those other places.

They also offer free shipping on anything over $99.00.
 


Good Morning All. Light rain and 67°. Heavy rain and temperature drop started at 0630 when it was still at 77°. There was .75" in the gauge in the first 30 minutes. Looks like another hour of intermittent heavy/light activity. At .75", the pool is overflowing through the skimmer again, just after I got the chemicals right! Right or close to it, I've been using it for about 10 days now. Water temperature has been holding steady at 84°.

Yesterday was spent on household and yard tasks. Mowed some more and did the laundry before preparing baby back ribs for supper. My wife who's back on the Keto kick (carb-free diet), made imitation potato salad with cauliflower. Acceptable but not excellent. Needs some tweaking.
Other than the usual bed linen laundry, dishwasher and Mass; today's plans are flexible. Wet grounds and the chance of rain for the next 24 hours will limit things a bit.

While I did make it out to the train shed yesterday, no project work got done. I simply ran trains since I was back and forth between getting in the pool and tending to the ribs.

What are we celebrating today? How about Flag Day, which has seemed to have gotten lost in all of the hoopla at the White House today.

Terry -

Out of curiosity, I clicked on this link and it brought up my wife's cell number.
Tom O - When I read about all of the operating and work sessions that you are involved in (or pass up), I have to wonder about all of the naysayers that claim that model railroading is dead.

Now that I am finally finishing this post, there's 2.15" in the rain gauge with standing water in the usual places.

Everybody have a wonderful Sunday.
Willie, I think the naysayers are idiots.

We are in a more expensive but golden age of model railroading. From my Wisconsin private ops sessions experience I can tell you our ages are all over. There usually in a crew of 15 at least 2 in the 20’s. A few in the 30’s or early 40’s. The biggest group is 50-65 years olds. We do have 70+ years olds like me. Maybe Alan (Espeefan) will check in about his Milwaukee area club’s age groups.

I’ll say it again. I think model railroading is in fine shape among the age groups. Just because the NMRA is ageing out doesn’t mean the hobby is. Forums and Facebook groups are busy because most are retirees with time to post. Lots of modelers are “lone wolves” and rarely do or go to Ops Session let alone open there layout out to others. How are they going to know about the ages of modelers from their workbenches

I have a friend, one of the 2 friends who do most of the driving that just returned from an Invitational in Peoria, Il, he operates usually 3 days a week and on Fridays helps at work sessions. There are quite a few organized opening groups in Wisconsin, I am fortunate to belong to 2 of them.
 
I got the narrow gauge itch again so I built a Davenport critter and a couple of steel hoppers over the last several weeks. I modified a bunch of 3d printed stuff and added some of my own details. Thee engine is built on an old Bachmann 44 ton center cab. I'm thinking about building a display diorama for them. Not my best work, but I survived a lot of frustrating moments and had fun.......at the end.

image000000 (2).jpg


image000001 (2).jpg
 
naysayers are idiots
There was concern/mass hysteria/hype/etc about this topic on the other side of the pond as well, after a long standing train show ended their run. The issue was that the people who ran the show were retiring and nobody wanted to take it over. This, of course, was revved up as the youngsters are not interested. But voila! Another show popped up out of the ether, so huh? Clickbait?
 


back from a nice weekend!
nothing in modelrailroading happened but other than that

- attended a discgolf doubles tournament with my better half
- attended a beach volleyball tournament and had maybe a bit too much beer
- watched (from time to time) switzerland taking a stupid but hilarious 1-1 in the first WC Game..
- noted the CANES win the NHL Trophy
- noted the KNICKS also got it done
- made some BBQ yesterday evening because we have a friend from finland over (yes still friends after they killed our dream at the Hockey WC)

so yeah overall a great weekend. oh maybe i did a little thing on my H0 shelflayout. on the new section i took out 2 lines so removed 2 turnouts, to get more space for scenery. iam still looking at it, but i think it will look better in the end. and i have some ideas about the scenery.

wish you all a great start for the week.
here a picture of me chilling in my garden yesterday.


IMG_2239.JPEG
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top