Running Bear's June 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
A week or so ago, I mentioned I had found and purchased some parts on Fleabay, and depending on what I got in the box, it was either a really good, or really bad deal.
This time, I got the bear. There are probably 20 packs of Microtrains trucks, trucks and couplers, couplers, bolster pins, etc. Also a bunch of other random parts. I am able to refill my parts drawers with the good American-made stuff, and put off indefinitely having to buy the stuff that is now coming from Vietnam.
Yay!
You hit the jackpot should you want to sell the Micro Trains stuff. With Atlas acquiring MT, and old stock starting to dry up. Those may be
gold here in a few months. Knowing Atlas production schedule, who knows when they will get get the stuff to market.
 
Good afternoon fine folks, especially those enjoying the luxury of relaxing in AC on hot days. 91F here right now with forecast of thunderstorms tonight. Got up early and went to Little Rock to meet some folks at the Crooked Rails Train Club. Looks like I will be joining up with a really nice bunch of folks. They do HO modular so I will be building an HO module after I get a couple of N scale TTrak modules done. It will be fun to work on HO again and able to do more details.
Last year I was going to get started with a club and the contact gentleman suddenly was diagnosed with a terminal case of cancer. I started talking with him and a friendship developed. He had gone to one of the country's premier cancer centers in Houston, where they started treatment and now with God's blessing he is in remission. So today I'm meeting the folks at this [another] club, and he introduces himself! We had a great visit, this one thing made the trip worthwhile!
 


Good afternoon everyone!

The mowing and trimming are all done. I even did some weeding on the front landscaping beds. The clouds were building and
it was starting to look dark. I came in and checked the forecast and sure enough we are due to get more thunderstorms this
evening that wasn't at all in the forecast this morning.

Getting ready to head down to Pet Smart to pick up some doggy items We also have to make a quick stop at Kohl's to
return an Amazon purchase and my daughter conveniently need something fro Sephora. I got bribed into going with
dinner out somewhere.

I will probably head to the basement tonight after I get home and try to do something railroad related.

Have a great rest of your afternoon and evening!
 
Last edited:
Good afternoon. 85f degrees but comfortable. No rain this afternoon and none expected so the guessers blew another forecast

The grandson has moved from a good grass cutter to pretty damn good. His cut lines are as good as mine ever were!

My niece now living in Pasadena near my sister is visiting her in-laws “Summer” place on Lake Mendota across from downtown Madison. Said last week she wanted to meet us for breakfast Sunday. Fine! Gosh forbid she drive 10 miles south to us in a no traffic ever area! Breakfast is a meal the Son in law and Terry excel at. Plus we have a comfortable place. Anyway told Terry I don’t care where we go for breakfast but not Craftmens! Well that is what they picked because it’s a mile from where they are staying and her in-laws have an in but thankfully not coming. We go out for breakfast every week and have since we moved to the area in 2014! If there is one place I really never wanted to go back to after many attempts it’s the place we r heading to tomorrow. High end crap and previous poor service is not my idea of a good place. High end pricing for very good to great food and service is fine. But not this place. When scrambled eggs are so wet and run off the plate, that is not good food. Our last try was February per Terry’s log. BUT, because it’s high end it’s where they want to go and her important in-laws know somebody to get us in it is where we r going. It’s a very easy place to actually get into if you use the app Open Table. It hasn’t been exclusive for years.This is 1 time Uncle Tom and Aunt Terry should not pick up the bill. But will while grinning but if it's still crappy management will again be told. Tables of 6 or more, there will be 9 at least automatically have a 25% tip added!

I talked to my brother around noon today. Knows the niece is in town and he asked where breakfast will be. Told him and he said you hate that place. Told him it’s not my decision. He laughed. Said his Vegas place should be completely packed up Monday. The moving company he found has done a nice job and Monday will finish. He’s been ok’d to fly so he is heading home to Maui. They have not decided on a new place here on the Mainland.

Terry, the daughter and granddaughter are out shopping. When she gets back we will go out to the property to check on 3 sites for the new house that they found the other day

I did organize the new shop to my satisfaction this afternoon with the grandson’s help after he finished cutting 4 lawns this morning. His choices for lunch were between Culver’s, McDonalds or Subway. He picked McDonalds. The drive through was packed, maybe 20+ cars in line. We went inside. It is across the street from the baseball complexes and Little League was having a tournament on 4 of the fields so that’s why MickeyD’s was so busy on a Saturday afternoon

Enjoy the balance of the day
 
WOW! Been a while since I visited the coffee shop, so apologies gentleman.

Quick question for you knowledgeable members, KR Models, are they still trading?
The reason I ask is that my friend in Germany pre-ordered a Shay, and has finally given up on ever receiving it, so he went and bought a Bachmann version, but, and for the life of me something I would never do, he paid up front for it and now can't contact KR Models for a refund, he say's their FB page has gone, and his login details which worked last week, no longer works either, plus no response from him phoning them.
Does anyone know what's happening with them ?
 
Good Afternoon. Still on top of the grass. It's been a while since I had the computer on. Had to print off proof of car insurance.

Slowly getting over the side effects of the chemo. A month ago I would be out of breath walking 50 feet but now, weather permitting I'll take my dogs about a quarter of a mile down to a neighbor's house to let them explore. They get exercise and so do I. Managed to make a couple of trips up to the dam recreation area. The dogs live exploring up there.

Can't believe some of the prices here in town. Todd can probably echo on this subject. I was due for an eye exam but after that visit I had a while back here in Libby, I had to pay over $500 just for lenses, using my old titanium frames. I was having to go to Kalispell (90 miles) to the medical campus for an MRI and PET scan and meetings for a 6 month checkup. Everything went well. I was told by the surgeon that after the chemo, the PET scan showed no signs of cancer.
While I was there, I renewed my Costco membership and after paying for the Membership, Eye Exam and the lenses with all the bells and whistles plus having to but new frames, I came out almost $100 ahead.

Had to go back a week later and went to Costco again. I had tried to get some rib eye steaks but they wouldn't custom cut the steaks. One size was just a bit over a half inch thick, not really enough for me to have a good dinned and the other size was over an inch and a half thick. I splurged and bought a boneless rib roast and cut my own steaks.

Steak 1.jpg
Steak 2.jpg

Got 18 rib eyes out of it. Expensive but worth it as Costco meat is PRIME whereas grocery stores do not go over CHOICE very often. Love the Food Saver. These steaks melt in your mouth and can be cut with a butter knife. Being alone i use it a lot by freezing different cuts of meat for multiple meals. The grocery stores like to have sale items in "family size" packages. I usually hit the grocery store shortly after 6AM and there are very few shoppers in the store. I am in and out in no time.

I have been selling some of my HO scale vehicles and still seem to have over 100. Still have over 100 freight cars all with Kadees and metal wheels. My current layout isn't that big.
Libby 1.jpg
Libby 2.jpg
This would probably qualify as a short line. I wanted to make a small scenic set up above my TV but I can't fins a piece of plywood only 44x18 inches. The lumber yards here want to charge for a full sheet even if it is damaged. I should get the flex track back to Todd.

Had to take my car to a mechanic for the first time since moving to Libby. I smelled gasoline while and after driving. Still not up the whare I was before chemo, I brough it into a shop where the owner is a big fan of the GM 3800 V-6. It ended being something simple. There was a tiny leak in the metal fuel rail. Took them a while to find it and they were able to build one. It is a metal fuel rail and would have taken a few days to get it in plus I didn't have the tools to work on it.

Spent some time down in Helena at my son's place. Enjoyed seeing them and the grandkids. The DIL let them have one of the raised garden beds because they wanted to grow flowers. They sure grow fast. Malakia and Makiah.
K3.jpg
K2.jpg

I have to get some work done and take thedogs for a walk. I'll try not to stay away as long. Wasn't interested in much for quite a while and really didn't feel very well.
 
Good Afternoon. Still on top of the grass. It's been a while since I had the computer on. Had to print off proof of car insurance.

Slowly getting over the side effects of the chemo. A month ago I would be out of breath walking 50 feet but now, weather permitting I'll take my dogs about a quarter of a mile down to a neighbor's house to let them explore. They get exercise and so do I. Managed to make a couple of trips up to the dam recreation area. The dogs live exploring up there.

Can't believe some of the prices here in town. Todd can probably echo on this subject. I was due for an eye exam but after that visit I had a while back here in Libby, I had to pay over $500 just for lenses, using my old titanium frames. I was having to go to Kalispell (90 miles) to the medical campus for an MRI and PET scan and meetings for a 6 month checkup. Everything went well. I was told by the surgeon that after the chemo, the PET scan showed no signs of cancer.
While I was there, I renewed my Costco membership and after paying for the Membership, Eye Exam and the lenses with all the bells and whistles plus having to but new frames, I came out almost $100 ahead.

Had to go back a week later and went to Costco again. I had tried to get some rib eye steaks but they wouldn't custom cut the steaks. One size was just a bit over a half inch thick, not really enough for me to have a good dinned and the other size was over an inch and a half thick. I splurged and bought a boneless rib roast and cut my own steaks.

View attachment 267659View attachment 267660
Got 18 rib eyes out of it. Expensive but worth it as Costco meat is PRIME whereas grocery stores do not go over CHOICE very often. Love the Food Saver. These steaks melt in your mouth and can be cut with a butter knife. Being alone i use it a lot by freezing different cuts of meat for multiple meals. The grocery stores like to have sale items in "family size" packages. I usually hit the grocery store shortly after 6AM and there are very few shoppers in the store. I am in and out in no time.

I have been selling some of my HO scale vehicles and still seem to have over 100. Still have over 100 freight cars all with Kadees and metal wheels. My current layout isn't that big.
View attachment 267661
View attachment 267662
This would probably qualify as a short line. I wanted to make a small scenic set up above my TV but I can't fins a piece of plywood only 44x18 inches. The lumber yards here want to charge for a full sheet even if it is damaged. I should get the flex track back to Todd.

Had to take my car to a mechanic for the first time since moving to Libby. I smelled gasoline while and after driving. Still not up the whare I was before chemo, I brough it into a shop where the owner is a big fan of the GM 3800 V-6. It ended being something simple. There was a tiny leak in the metal fuel rail. Took them a while to find it and they were able to build one. It is a metal fuel rail and would have taken a few days to get it in plus I didn't have the tools to work on it.

Spent some time down in Helena at my son's place. Enjoyed seeing them and the grandkids. The DIL let them have one of the raised garden beds because they wanted to grow flowers. They sure grow fast. Malakia and Makiah.
View attachment 267663View attachment 267664
I have to get some work done and take thedogs for a walk. I'll try not to stay away as long. Wasn't interested in much for quite a while and really didn't feel very well.
Good to see you back, and even more pleased to hear your good report.
 
Good afternoon. The temp has dropped to a brisk 95. And to think I put away my winter jacket last week...
Speaking of MIA people, has anyone heard from our resident Scottish Laird? He hasn't put in an appearance in several months now.

It's supper time here, and I'm dining on a Caesar salad.
I was able to use some of the parts I got today, and put a pair of boxcars and a locomotive back on the road. I also got frustrated over every 8-coupled steam engine derailing on a curve in the only inaccessible part of the layout--the tunnel. I pulled off the side cover, got on my hands and knees with a flashlight, and watched closely as the trains derailed. It turned out to be a simple fix, there was a very small bit of plaster residue stuck to the inside of the outer rail in the tunnel that was picking the flanges, and allowing the wheels to ride up and over the outer rail. Once I cleared the plaster, I tried running a test train of my largest engine, and I'm happy to report UP 4014 has been tooling around the layout for the last hour while I was preparing and eating my supper--sans derailments.
 
Good Afternoon. Still on top of the grass. It's been a while since I had the computer on. Had to print off proof of car insurance.

Slowly getting over the side effects of the chemo. A month ago I would be out of breath walking 50 feet but now, weather permitting I'll take my dogs about a quarter of a mile down to a neighbor's house to let them explore. They get exercise and so do I. Managed to make a couple of trips up to the dam recreation area. The dogs live exploring up there.

Can't believe some of the prices here in town. Todd can probably echo on this subject. I was due for an eye exam but after that visit I had a while back here in Libby, I had to pay over $500 just for lenses, using my old titanium frames. I was having to go to Kalispell (90 miles) to the medical campus for an MRI and PET scan and meetings for a 6 month checkup. Everything went well. I was told by the surgeon that after the chemo, the PET scan showed no signs of cancer.
While I was there, I renewed my Costco membership and after paying for the Membership, Eye Exam and the lenses with all the bells and whistles plus having to but new frames, I came out almost $100 ahead.

Had to go back a week later and went to Costco again. I had tried to get some rib eye steaks but they wouldn't custom cut the steaks. One size was just a bit over a half inch thick, not really enough for me to have a good dinned and the other size was over an inch and a half thick. I splurged and bought a boneless rib roast and cut my own steaks.

View attachment 267659View attachment 267660
Got 18 rib eyes out of it. Expensive but worth it as Costco meat is PRIME whereas grocery stores do not go over CHOICE very often. Love the Food Saver. These steaks melt in your mouth and can be cut with a butter knife. Being alone i use it a lot by freezing different cuts of meat for multiple meals. The grocery stores like to have sale items in "family size" packages. I usually hit the grocery store shortly after 6AM and there are very few shoppers in the store. I am in and out in no time.

I have been selling some of my HO scale vehicles and still seem to have over 100. Still have over 100 freight cars all with Kadees and metal wheels. My current layout isn't that big.
View attachment 267661
View attachment 267662
This would probably qualify as a short line. I wanted to make a small scenic set up above my TV but I can't fins a piece of plywood only 44x18 inches. The lumber yards here want to charge for a full sheet even if it is damaged. I should get the flex track back to Todd.

Had to take my car to a mechanic for the first time since moving to Libby. I smelled gasoline while and after driving. Still not up the whare I was before chemo, I brough it into a shop where the owner is a big fan of the GM 3800 V-6. It ended being something simple. There was a tiny leak in the metal fuel rail. Took them a while to find it and they were able to build one. It is a metal fuel rail and would have taken a few days to get it in plus I didn't have the tools to work on it.

Spent some time down in Helena at my son's place. Enjoyed seeing them and the grandkids. The DIL let them have one of the raised garden beds because they wanted to grow flowers. They sure grow fast. Malakia and Makiah.
View attachment 267663View attachment 267664
I have to get some work done and take thedogs for a walk. I'll try not to stay away as long. Wasn't interested in much for quite a while and really didn't feel very well.
Chet, glad to hear you're still on top of the grass. I've been told it's easier to pull weeds than push them.
 


Well, howdy there internet peeps. It's Troy again.

blood pressure is going up, as I read the latest installment of the new rules the HOA is going to be shoving up our arses this coming Monday

I hope they're ready for the mobs to descend.

I ran the latest through ClaudeAI in an ongoing discussion. He's not impressed, and poking holes in it.

WILLIE: going to send you a DM about windows. I need to understand some stuff about the manufacture of such. No need to clog up this thread with my silly questions.
 
WOW! Been a while since I visited the coffee shop, so apologies gentleman.

Quick question for you knowledgeable members, KR Models, are they still trading?
The reason I ask is that my friend in Germany pre-ordered a Shay, and has finally given up on ever receiving it, so he went and bought a Bachmann version, but, and for the life of me something I would never do, he paid up front for it and now can't contact KR Models for a refund, he say's their FB page has gone, and his login details which worked last week, no longer works either, plus no response from him phoning them.
Does anyone know what's happening with them ?
Speculation on RM Web leaning towards gone out of business.
 
WOW! Been a while since I visited the coffee shop, so apologies gentleman.

Quick question for you knowledgeable members, KR Models, are they still trading?
The reason I ask is that my friend in Germany pre-ordered a Shay, and has finally given up on ever receiving it, so he went and bought a Bachmann version, but, and for the life of me something I would never do, he paid up front for it and now can't contact KR Models for a refund, he say's their FB page has gone, and his login details which worked last week, no longer works either, plus no response from him phoning them.
Does anyone know what's happening with them ?
Welcome back Chris.

Don't be a stranger, come around more often!
 
WOW! Been a while since I visited the coffee shop, so apologies gentleman.

Quick question for you knowledgeable members, KR Models, are they still trading?
The reason I ask is that my friend in Germany pre-ordered a Shay, and has finally given up on ever receiving it, so he went and bought a Bachmann version, but, and for the life of me something I would never do, he paid up front for it and now can't contact KR Models for a refund, he say's their FB page has gone, and his login details which worked last week, no longer works either, plus no response from him phoning them.
Does anyone know what's happening with them ?
Hi Chris

He needs to contact his credit card company and request a refund. Don’t wait and if they say it’s too late report it as fraud
 
Good afternoon. The temp has dropped to a brisk 95. And to think I put away my winter jacket last week...
Speaking of MIA people, has anyone heard from our resident Scottish Laird? He hasn't put in an appearance in several months now.

It's supper time here, and I'm dining on a Caesar salad.
I was able to use some of the parts I got today, and put a pair of boxcars and a locomotive back on the road. I also got frustrated over every 8-coupled steam engine derailing on a curve in the only inaccessible part of the layout--the tunnel. I pulled off the side cover, got on my hands and knees with a flashlight, and watched closely as the trains derailed. It turned out to be a simple fix, there was a very small bit of plaster residue stuck to the inside of the outer rail in the tunnel that was picking the flanges, and allowing the wheels to ride up and over the outer rail. Once I cleared the plaster, I tried running a test train of my largest engine, and I'm happy to report UP 4014 has been tooling around the layout for the last hour while I was preparing and eating my supper--sans derailments.
David has been missing since about 2-3 weeks after he arrived state side. Haven’t seen him over at MRH forums either
 
WOW! Been a while since I visited the coffee shop, so apologies gentleman.
Welcome back to the Coffee Shop Chris. I knew that you weren't too far away as I have seen a few posts from you in other threads. Are you still piloting the buses?
I have no direct information regarding KR Models, but I believe that they have dropped out. Maybe one of our friends from north of the border can respond better. As I recall, they are/were based in Canada.
 


Good evening gang!

Didn't cut the lawn. Came home from work, the house was quiet. Went into the bedroom to change clothes and my back beseeched me to lay down, just for a few minutes. 3 hours later SWMBO came home with Chik-fil-A for dinner and found me snoozing. Maybe tomorrow I'll cut the grass early.
I don't see the squeeze handle...
See, I told you I had one!
IMG_2120.jpeg

Complete in the case, last used maybe 20 years ago.

So now I am awake, sitting here eating pretzel rods covered in peanut butter with a Coke Zero. Anyone else have a weird favorite snack like mine??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top