Running Bear's July 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

67 and drizzle

I will eat a McDonald's burger, a Whopper Junior, maybe every other month. Brings back good memories, and I don't think my health suffers too much.

However, the order of cheese curds I ate at the fair Saturday had me feeling a bit out of sorts Sunday.

Started painting little people yesterday, I counted 7 that are in different states of completion. I do one color at a time and usually wait at least several hours before adding another.

I also noticed 3 machinery kits need assembly.

Trains are running in fine order, so some of that up for enjoyment,

I am cooking supper tonight, Swiss chard tossed in smoking ghee and massala, basmati rice, and chapatis.

Pretty fancy stuff for us, but now that I am retired...

Back later, Dave LASM
 


Terry since retirement does price shop as both a form of enjoyment and frustration at times.
I thought I was the only one who enjoyed grocery shopping. Since I started using those electric carts I can cruise up and down every isle again. Even when we only need a few things, I like to look. And my wonderful wife tags along with me.
that’s me and it’s in my head
You are not alone. I have a lot of "stuff" in my head too! If it is not hurting anything, who cares?
I was baking my own but they weren’t always healthy.
I used to bake bread. My wife, and my grandson both love bread, plain bread, no butter, nothing! I'm not a huge fan of bread, but homemade, hot, and fresh from the oven with Land O Lakes butter is too good! My Cutco bread knife can slice hot bread if I'm patient with it.

No more bread making for me. My hands can no longer kneed the bread, and I don't like the Kitchen Aid mixer. More of the stuff in my head.

My daughter-in-law has a bread machine. It's not what I would call bread, it's an abomination! One thing came from having diabetes, "Please don't bring me bread, it is not good for me" Which is true, but sometimes not telling the whole truth is best.
I never tried the “Keto” breads, how is the taste?
The Sub/Hoagie rolls are kind of sweet. My trick is to load them with flavorful meats and condiments. Yellow mustard, yellow onions, and mild banana peppers are my friends. The Rye is fairly good. My wife likes multigrain white bread. None of them are as good as regular breads. We have yet to try all the varieties. I will let you know if I find one that is better than the others. The best thing to do is try them, see what you like. I have yet to find one the birds won't eat if I don't like them.

I have finally got past worrying about wasting money on food. It took a long time to get that out of my head, and I still must fight with it.

I only eat one sandwich per day. My A1C had been over 10 for more than a year, despite losing over 25lbs. Now with adjustments like Keto friendly bread it was 7.0 last week. My doctor was ecstatic. Using the glucose meter was the biggest help.
 
@bnsf971 @Patrick and any other computer experts I bought this computer for my wife from Costco. She wants to make videos.

MSI Codex R2 B2NVN7-450US Gaming Desktop – Intel Core Ultra 7 265 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5060 Ti 16GB – 32GB RAM DDR5 6000MHz RAM – 2TB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive – Windows 11 Home $1499.99​

I know I got the "horse in front of the cart" by asking after the fact, but I was wondering what you think. It was $200 off and the "While supplies last" got me.
 
It's a "cool" 88F and 66% out here on the patio today. The light breeze feels great.

Nearly got the camera "housing" finished yesterday, but turns out I had some dimensions slightly off (?!), so I'll have to fix them and re-print it. Sigh. Don't know yet if I'll get to that today, but we'll see. Depends on what else goes on.

My uncle passed away last night, sadly. My folks are coming back down today, and may stop in for lunch since it's on the way. Nothing much more going on than that.

Y'all have me craving English muffins, but I don't have any. The last craving this place generated was Lucky Charms, and I do have some of those at least...

@Bruette -- It'll work just fine most likely. Computers have gotten to the point now where even a decade-old machine will probably do great unless you're doing something really spendy performance-wise, like high-end gaming. Home video editing? Piece of cake! The equipment-replacement treadmill has finally slowed to a tolerable pace.

Have a good Tuesday, folks!
 
@bnsf971 @Patrick and any other computer experts I bought this computer for my wife from Costco. She wants to make videos.

MSI Codex R2 B2NVN7-450US Gaming Desktop – Intel Core Ultra 7 265 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5060 Ti 16GB – 32GB RAM DDR5 6000MHz RAM – 2TB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive – Windows 11 Home $1499.99​

I know I got the "horse in front of the cart" by asking after the fact, but I was wondering what you think. It was $200 off and the "While supplies last" got me.
It certainly looks good on paper.
Most of those desktops will accept a 3.5” hdd for additional storage, as well.
 
Not that I needed one, but HP sent me an email offer of $600 off a replacement laptop. Just for S&G, I clicked through everything, and of course was approved for financing. I scrolled through the terms, and the interest rate of 35.99% nearly gave me a coronary.
Even though I wasn’t going to get it anyway, I backed out and exited that website so fast its electrons were swimming.
 
My uncle passed away last night, sadly.
I'm sorry for your loss.
It'll work just fine most likely.
Thank you!
The equipment-replacement treadmill has finally slowed to a tolerable pace.
I used to build, sell and service my own brand of PCs. "Bruette Computers". But and it is a big but! A lot has changed in the last 25 years, and I have not kept up.

My son keeps up, but he would want to build the computer himself. I know how busy he is, the last thing he needs is something else to do. I didn't even mention it to him.

It was an early morning spontaneous thing. I often wake up before midnight. I consulted with Microsoft's AI, it said it would be good for video editing and the price was good.

It certainly looks good on paper.
Most of those desktops will accept a 3.5” hdd for additional storage, as well.
Thank you!

I have a few USB 3.0 solid state drives; how would they do?

It is a mid-tower chassis. It has a standard ATX-form motherboard. It has four PCIe x16 expansion slots, fitting the ATX spec but in a more compact mid-tower footprint. I would think it would accept 3.5” HDD. But I would rather plug in a USB drive. I struggle with my hands.
 
Last edited:


I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you!

I used to build, sell and service my own brand of PCs. "Bruette Computers". But and it is a big but! A lot has changed in the last 25 years, and I have not kept up.

My son keeps up, but he would want to build the computer himself. I know how busy he is, the last thing he needs is something else to do. I didn't even mention it to him.

It was an early morning spontaneous thing. I often wake up before midnight. I consulted with Microsoft's AI, it said it would be good for video editing and the price was good.


Thank you!

I have a few USB 3.0 solid state drives; how would they do?
They would probably work okay, though by now they are several generations behind the current standard.
 
Not that I needed one, but HP sent me an email offer of $600 off a replacement laptop. Just for S&G, I clicked through everything, and of course was approved for financing. I scrolled through the terms, and the interest rate of 35.99% nearly gave me a coronary.
Even though I wasn’t going to get it anyway, I backed out and exited that website so fast its electrons were swimming.
I think Guido down at the "social club" would give you better terms.
 
@bnsf971 @Patrick and any other computer experts I bought this computer for my wife from Costco. She wants to make videos.

MSI Codex R2 B2NVN7-450US Gaming Desktop – Intel Core Ultra 7 265 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5060 Ti 16GB – 32GB RAM DDR5 6000MHz RAM – 2TB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive – Windows 11 Home $1499.99​

I know I got the "horse in front of the cart" by asking after the fact, but I was wondering what you think. It was $200 off and the "While supplies last" got me.
This looks like nearly the same PC (but with a slower CPU): https://www.newegg.com/msi-gaming-desktop-pc-geforce-rtx-5060-ti-intel-core-i7-14700f-32gb-ddr5-2-tb-ssd-codex-r2-b14nvn7-440us/p/N82E16883151663?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=afc-ran-com-_-Toastybros&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=afc-ran-com-_-Toastybros&utm_source=afc-Toastybros&AFFID=3652758&AFFNAME=Toastybros&ACRID=1&ASUBID=&ASID=https://www.youtube.com/&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=3652758&ranSiteID=evnKC4nfyvo-VA9as8YkZ_iHVfkWR__0sw

Same price. You might notice one of the possible upgrades, with the CPU you got, but with the next level card, a 5070Ti, runs $500 more (and $200 more if you get the same CPU with a 5070).

Bottom line: You avoided buying a video card with only 8GB RAM, you have a solid mid-range PC with otherwise standard specs, and...you actually HAVE it in hand. All good, and you didn't "get took." Plus, the longer it's been since your last PC the faster it'll seem anyway.
 
Last edited:
I never tried the “Keto” breads, how is the taste?
I know you’re asking Louis. But.

The ones I’ve bought at the store taste like cardboard. They were keto white bread equivalent. Costco and Walmart and other grocery stores here carrying carried it but I don’t remember the name.

There are probably ones I’ve not tasted that are good. But the ones I’ve tasted were not bought again.

And speaking of bread. I don’t eat a lot of breads but occasionally splurge. I like multi grain breads and stuff or a good sourdough. But the very best is a good bagel. With butter and cream cheese (or alsonwith salmon and stuff if we have it but we usually don’t).
 


Good afternoon. Currently at 1220, it is 94°F with a heat index of 108°F.

I fired up the grill about 1030 when it was slightly cooler and cooked in the shade. No way I was going to get out there at 1600 and try this. H/I will probably be over 110°F by then.

Beer brats are pretty good for lunch. Bar-B-Q chicken thighs for dinner.

Not been doing much at all with this heat. Enjoying my new guitar is about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top