Running Bear's January 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
On a long ass 25 hr plus drive from Toronto 🇨🇦 to San Antonio Tx 🇺🇸…flying back thankfully

Saw some parked freight in Buffalo NY…a moving NS pulled freight consist somewhere in a snowstorm in PA and some more parked freight in Cinicinatti OH…

Passed a bunch of rail museums in KY…

Tomorrow hopefully I will get to Houston…
 
Being a low bid house we’re renting it has a standard contractor grade 80% efficiency furnace. The service guy said it was good and dirty.
An 80% efficient gas furnace is not bad, and it should not be producing much soot.

Heat increases the rate of oxidation in metal. Which is why the flame sensor needs to be cleaned.

Even the old low efficiency (50%-70%) gas furnaces won't create much soot if the flame is burning clean. Soot can be highly flammable; it is something every furnace was designed to prevent regardless of efficiency.

Soot is created by incomplete combustion. Which is most often caused by a malfunctioning burner or an improper fuel-to-air ratio. A clogged or severely dirty air filter and draft problems can also cause soot.

Modern furnaces reach 90%-98.5% efficiency and higher by utilizing advanced heat exchangers, secondary heat exchangers with condensing technology on the exhaust side. They also incorporate sealed combustion, variable speed blowers, electronic ignition, better overall insulation and more. Programable thermostats can also increase efficiency.

But of course it had not been serviced in who knows how long.
I service my furnace at least once a year and I pay attention to how it operates in between. Even with my poor hearing I can hear a slight difference in the sound of the blower fan. I will need to replace that in the future. But for now, there is no play in the bearing, and it spins freely.

As an industrial mechanic I worked on several kinds of large industrial furnaces. I have a fair understanding of the technologies. Getting to know the practical aspects of my residential furnace has taken some trial and error. God knows the manufacturers don't want homeowners servicing their own furnaces.

Most service technicians simply follow a manual of diagnostic procedures. (If this than that) These manuals are not readily available to homeowners, I've created my own through trial and error.

I love my furnace, and I have enjoyed getting to know it. I have had three furnace failures in nearly eight years. I have spent under $110 on two parts to fix the problems. A motherboard and a pressure switch. What's not to love?
 


1736762941707.png
1736762968077.png
1736763027611.png

Good morning! It's 28°F in Tipton.
1736763135505.png
 
gday friends

week started.
ZRH Airport up and running but freezing cold outside.
but thats great for our business, because deicing is needed ;)

was in my trainroom on sunday. did a lot of progress, and it starts to look like a modelrailroad not just a plywood desert :)

IMG_8921.JPG


i also started to design another building for my industrie section.
its one where i will hide the corner of the layout.
you can find some more pictures, in my building thread.

wish you all a good start for the week.

cheers
jay
 


Good Morning All. Clear and 26°, headed up close to 50° today. By Thursday we'll be in the 60's and then Saturday night, the cold front repeats without the snow this time. Relatively typical winter here so far except the warmer days in December.

Boring day yesterday, that I can't remember what I did besides cleaning the ashes/embers out of the wood stove. Oh yeah! I did 2 loads of laundry and scrubbed the kitchen range. Today starts with the dishwasher again.

I spent a bit longer out in the train shed yesterday; longer than the typical Sunday. Took another 8 structures off to the workbench for cleaning and repair. I also rubbed the Tidy Track cleaner over 30' of main line and another 18' of passing siding. I'll get the industry spurs today. There's still 20+ structures left to do in this section. Current batch of trash receptacles has been painted.
IMG_0175.JPG
I intend to weather some before I add them to the layout.
After much contemplation, I have decided on the next "big" project after the cleanup is finished in a couple more days. First some background: Over the years of building this layout, I concentrated mainly on bench and track work first. Then I went back and started scenicking things. At present, I am working on the scenery on roughly 2/3 of the entire thing. The last 1/3 is purposely being ignored until I get closer to 100% on the rest. I'm about 70% right now. Along the way, I concentrated on seeing trains running as I completed each 20' or so. As a result I didn't install all of the ground throws on all of the switches. So I decided that finishing that up would be a good project. Not totally necessary because all of the switches can be thrown with my fingers, but I just want to tie up that loose end so I can scenic some of those areas. First was an inventory to see where my starting point would be. I counted switches and really surprised myself. I was expecting 120 or so, but there are 174 presently! Did I ever post that I like switching the most. This includes 26 staging tracks scattered about, some of which are double-ended; and 11 passing sidings along with all of the industry spurs. There's 2 other short run-around tracks as well. OK, 138 have the ground throws (or remote electric mechanisms) already installed, so only 36 to go. Looks like I have all that I need, just have to install them. Will I get all of them done together or will I get sidetracked doing something else? My guess is the latter.

Troy - No problems here with dancing, I couldn't even dance when young and drunk.
I've had some of those Keto pizza crusts before. OK, but not close to the real thing.
Airbrush - Have a safe journey, both ways.

Everyone have a marvelous Monday and stay safe and warm.
 
Good morning from cold at 5f degrees So Central Wi. Heading to 18 this afternoon. The sun is bright and the wind is calm.

Today is mainly in the train room. At 3 the car dealer will be here with one of 3 cars I will test drive over the next 3 days. I’ve decided to buy a car before the tariffs kick in or the prices just go up because…

I want a smaller SUV but Terry does not

Enjoy the day
 
I finished up the NYC RS-3 today and I'm done with the wall artwork. Back to working on the layout now. I'll be sending some photos of the completed room later today. I thought I could use Coral Draw to create a more realistic looking wheel set, but too much time involved in that. I like my old Coral Draw program better than the upgrade. It's just easier just to use the Windows paint program.
Swal

NYC_RS.png
 
Last edited:
Well 12 more days before the Amherst Big 'E' Train Show in West Springfield, MA.

Definitely looking forward to it. I have my list and well I am re-checking it every couple days as I get closer to the date. I will bring my laptop along with me so no worries there. I am sure there will be some impulse buys, but I will be focusing on my list too. I will be going solo as my buddy will be riding with another young fella which will be his first time going. We will all meet up there. I hope to see any members here that are going to show. Just send me a private message and we can arrange a meet if interested.

I leave for Vegas on Monday, should be an interesting trip. Looks like it will be mid 50° F weather to upper 50°s we shall see. Shorts weather for me lol

Not much else to report although I did pickup 2 more locos on my hit list, on ebay. I was searching for these locomotives for run through power to go with my other NW ex IT locos. I got these 2 at 180 bucks each with full sound and LEDs so I am happy about that. To top it off they are in number sequence but different color scheme, black opposed to the green. So, I now have NW 2961 (black), NW 2962 (green prime to grime with custom-heavily weathered), NW 2963 (black), NW 2965 (green prime to grime) and NW 2966 (green prime to grime). Yep, I am missing NW 2964 which is on my list for search. Hopefully I will find it and complete this consist. These are all EMD SD39s. I will post pictures at a later date although the NW 2962 and 2966 was in my earlier post when I had the programing session a week ago Saturday.

Ya'll have a good week. It's been busy at work. Temps here has been going up and down like a yo-yo, but I will take the warmer weather....
 
Last edited:
I put my foot down hard on cauliflower

After I clean it off my shoe, I pronounce no cauliflower. It has no taste, but never grinds as fine as I'm lead to believe.

Wife really liked the Mozz crust. i'm OK with it. But it's not one I look forward to.

Cauliflower rice as a substitute for rice isn't bad. If you put something on it. Like gravy, or stir-fry, or taco stuff, or something.

I like cauliflower raw, but not so much as a cooked vegetable. Much prefer broccoli.

Not sure using it for making crusts or anything of that sort is a good idea.
 
Well it's been along time coming and I've decided to put the KG & B Railway in storage for awhile so I can build some other models that I've been doing since moving to another state. The railroad really hasn't been up and running since the move and the hobby room needed space for my hobby power tools so something had to give. The railroad is on casters and in it's own shadow box so moving it into the wood shop (covering it up) was never a problem.

Something I've always done just for fun is put out a newsletter to all my "stockholders" (family and friends) to tell them what is going on with my railroad. I've included a copy here (hope it comes out right). Also, a picture of my hobby room in the wood shop.

I'll always visit here, not going anywhere, and I'll post pictures and comments of things going on in my world.

Thanks for everything and see on down the line.

Kurt
Hobby Room 1.jpeg


image0 (15).jpeg
 
Welp... change of plans again

Did my sciatica stretches this morning. The nerve flossing (extend leg & Arch back while sitting on a stool or table, then tuck leg under and hunch forward) - that one told me just how tight my muscles were. I haven't been stretching, and now I'm paying the price.

OK... I did some more stretches and tried to calm everything down. Thought I was good (famous last words)

Went to Lowes this morning, and they don't stock the 2 inch foam any longer at that store... you have to drive to the other side of town to get it...

No thanks, I'll go to Mendards. Halfway back to the area where I believe the foam would be, and my sciatica kicked in hard. Oh CRAP! Back out to the car. Once home, I teeter tabled, and spent some time doing the nerve flossing. Got it loosened up, but it's not a good day for sitting. So, its work on the train table day.

I decided to just use the 1 inch foam I've got here now. I just have to move the point where my descent from the 2 inch height happens. I did a test fit and it looks like I can keep the 2% grade and make it all fit. Now for figuring out if I have enough turnouts on hand.
 
Good Monday morning, folks. In Nac its 37 with w/c 31, clear, no precip in the forecast, so another nice day in the Pinewoods. Nurse Judy is off to Navasota with Daughter #1 for a few days, so Phelix the Cat and I have the house all to ourselves until Wed evening. Moving Day 2 weeks away. Not too much left to do. Cheyenne is cold, as usual, but at least we're moving in winter and have summer to look forward to. Glad we didn't do this in the middle of summer dreading winter...
Willie - great layout! I wouldn't know what to do with all that acreage, both inside the train shed and outside.
Troy - I like cauliflower but not as a sub for potatoes or flour. My favorite is oven roasted with a bit of olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper.
Airbrush - Stay safe on your drive and return trip. Early in my trucking career when I was pulling a van, after my days off I would pick up a load of empty frame racks at the GM plant in Shreveport and take them to the Budd plant in Hamilton. Also made several trips into Alberta and BC. A lot easier to get into Canada than it was to return to the US. I remember one time a US customs guy made my open a gallon of maple syrup I guess to make sure it wasn't some of that fine Canadian whiskey...
Y'all have a good day and week.
 
Good morning all!

Another cold Northern Illinois day. Currently 9F, but with that wind it feels like -14F. No precipitation predicted for the foreseeable future.

Today will be some light laundry and a quick pick-up from the weekend. We have a volleyball game tonight, but at least its a home game so no traveling tonight. Not much else happening in my area.

Still have the layout blues going. I tried to do some work on it this weekend, but little was accomplished other than day dreaming. I did run a few trains around.

Have a safe warm day everyone!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top