ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
...Louis did you ever go to the 34th Street Christmas Light Festival in Hamden? Those folks sure know how to "do Christmas right!"!
They are over the top! I have seen it and I did get to see a bit this year as well. THe really interesting thing to me is if you ride with in a few blocks of the one block on 34th street you can see some amazing although more traditional Christmas light displays on many houses. For hub cap Christmas trees you must go to 34th street! Tha's Bawlmore Hon.
Good evening fellers,
Like I said, I knew the g-tube was coming back. 0800 on 3 Jan this time.
A completely new site will be used on this one since myself and the Dr. agree something was simply wrong with the original site so he'll pick a new one.
I gotta go see what's up Mom's computer.
Be back later on.
E.
Mornin everyone. My daughter had a healthy baby boy yesterday evening so cigars for everyone!!! I need to get my bathroom painted today so we can head down to see her tomorrow. Got the kitchen painted yesterday finally. As soon as the bathroom is done I can start collecting lumber for the layout!
Congrats to you and the family! And remember, grandsons make great excuses for buying trains!

Here is a better picture of my new train set and more information.
HOBBY SHOP EXCLUSIVE SET - "Not all train sets are created equal."
America's most popular railroad never sleeps!
Rolling through the night to get its freight delivered on time, the rugged Pennsylvania Railroad GP38 blows its horn as it nears the next town with a full load of freight in tow. The powerful, dual motored GP38 dressed in Brunswick green and carrying the famous Keystone of PRR pulls an impressive consist of cars.
Set Includes:
- GP38 diesel locomotive
- Unibody tank car
- Hi-Cube boxcar
- 3-Bay hopper with coal load insert
- Porthole caboose with roof antenna
- Eight curved O-36 FasTrack sections, one 10" straight FasTrack section, one FasTrack wall-pack terminal section
- Wall-pack power supply
- LionChief™ remote for locomotive
Locomotive Features:
- Electric locomotive controlled by remote
- Operating directional headlight
- Illumination in cab
- On/off switches for sound
- RailSounds RC sound system with diesel revving and background sounds, horn, bell, and user-activated announcements
- Metal frame and handrails
- Dual powerful maintenance-free motors
- Traction tires
- Operating couplers at both ends
- Engineer and fireman figures
Rolling Stock Features:
- Die-cast metal sprung trucks
- Operating couplers
- Opening doors on boxcar
- Metal platform, ends, and air cylinder on tank car
- Durable plastic version of 3-bay hopper with removable coal insert
- Two removable coil covers on gondola
- Metal frame, interior illumination in caboose, and roof antenna on caboose
Remote Features:
- Forward and reverse speed control knob
- Three buttons for whistle sound, bell, and special freight crew announcements
- Requires three AAA alkaline batteries (not included)
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Ya' gon'na haf' t' d'rty th't on'up Louis, make the detail stand out.
Well-Known Member
Staff member
I've just thrown the top off a 44 gallon drum outside. Goin' out to give it a spray with oil in 'coupl'o'min's. Fry some eggs and French toast for lunch (late B'f'st actually).
Woohoo fellers! Ordered a new motor for my SD40 today. She's down but not out. Out with the grey and in with the gold. Ofcourse I'm stuck waiting for my GP9 until Tuesday. Was supposed to be here Saturday. The seller decided to wait a few days to ship. That's a first for me. I unleashed my Blue Box U-boat on my layout today and man I wish my SD40 ran like that. Well hopefully the new can motor and a fresh set of wheels will solve that. Anyways y'all have a good night and I'll holler at y'all later.
Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
Good evening.
Today we went to Nashville and we did a Christmas celebration with family members there. Hopefully, I will have more model railroad time soon.
Chet .. I like your suggestion of doing at least a little train running on the layout. I decided to run the Empire Builder which was on a storage shelf. I placed most of its cars on the track, but still had 3 cars left to put on the track when the phone rang . I took the call and never had time to run the Empire Builder. Maybe tomorrow.
Sauced7. ... congrats on the new addition !!
Ron. I just read what you did for Eric. That was very good of you.
Happy model railroading.
I'm hoping for Christmas in July,
Ever since the solstice I knew the end of Christmas was drawing near. January 6th comes all to quick.
This year was far too busy to setup My Christmas trains on my O gauge table/layout.
Even my little HO layout in the basement went neglected, no sign of Christmas. The Acela has not only derailed, it has rolled over. No injuries, it was sitting still, empty.
With the Lionel LionChief sets; the Polar Express for passenger service and the Silver Bells hauling the freight, we did have enough rail service under the tree in the living room to support the Merriest Christmas anyone in my family can remember.
That's the end of my random post.
Merry Christmas Everybody!
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Shisbin' a 'ot one, 'ndit's gon'na beyun evin 'otter one t'morra.
Pretty chilly in King George this morning. How chilly? 38 degrees worth.
Went to see the movie Passengers last night. Interesting movie, somewhere between science fiction space and a love story.
Gotta go into the office this morning then out to the remote office. I think I might go see Rogue 1 this evening on the way home from work.
Ya' gon'na haf' t' d'rty th't on'up Louis, make the detail stand out.
Any dirt on my equipment is not intentional. I love the Brunswick Green locomotive and a PRR GP38 at that!
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Any dirt on my equipment is not intentional. I love the Brunswick Green locomotive and a PRR GP38 at that!
Aaaah!.....So.....to borrow from the "Beatles" Penny Lane. "It's a clean machine"
Good Morning All. 33° with mostly cloudy skies this morning.
Life has been getting in the way of my planned trip to the LHS, so track-laying is on temporary hold for right now. Not a worry, as I have more than enough other projects in the works. I sorted through all of my DPM and Walther's modular wall kits to begin construction of the low-relief structures that will occupy the wall along the new extension. When my old LHS owner retired last year, he gave me his entire stock of Walther's modular kits, 36 kits in all. Problem is that none of the kits were wall columns used to attach wall to wall. They are no longer in production and there's none to be found on the Internet anywhere. I am fabricating my own by slicing blank wall sections down to 2' scale widths. DPM columns don't match the brick pattern. He (LHS owner) told me that the Walther's sales rep indicated that Walther's just made "x" number of each kit without noting that the quantities did not match up.
Garry - Dang! You have spent more time on the road than the nearest truck driver lately. At least they are all safe miles.
Ken in Md - Get well soon. First Chet sends his winter weather, then his cold! What's next?
Dave - Sounds like the new job is working out. May God bless you for taking care of those people in need. Sad to say, but when I was younger, most families took care of their own relatives, at least those with families. I am sure that some still do.
Did someone put a sign on the door banning CA residents? We haven't seen Sherrel or David in a few days. Ditto for Joe and Terry from the east.
Well everyone have an awesome day.
Willie
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Good morning all, we have 19 and cloudy. Really light traffic on the way in to work this morning.
This is the first time in years that we don't live very near the tracks. Some nights I can hear the train off in the distance, powering up. Cloquet was the opposite, my last abode; trains throughout the night sounding their presence.
more later
Mid 20's and a light dusting of snow, non stick type!
I hope Terry is ok! I need him to be able to mail my Riv, Big Boy back when I send him the shipping and repair/impound fee!
I've owned it for two years and ran it a whole foot, sure would like to see it run in person like the video he sent me shows it doing!
I don't mind being broke MOST of the time but it sure can be inconvenient when things need to happen that require a little moola.
Good morning. Need a cup, black, no sugar. The weather this morning is a bit strange. Started off at 43 degrees with some light winds. The weather will be changing. Checked the forecast and I guess we better enjoy this now ad by the end of the weekend low are predicted to be below zero with highs maybe getting up to zero. Ready for spring already.
Eric - sorry to hear about the g-tube going back in. Hopefully a new location will be better. At least you have tsome train stuff to keep your mind busy.
Bruce - Good luck with the Big Boy. Ran a whole foot before crapping out. What a bummer.
Garry - Better luck today to get some trains running. At least most of the Empire Builder is already on the tracks.
Dave - Good to see you back visiting the Coffee Shop. Any plans on starting another layout yet?
Justin - Good luck with the new motor. I put can motors in the few Athearn locomotives that I have years and years ago. I did go with more expensive can motors, but what an improvement. They're still running like a gem almost 30 years later.
Had to come to the office today also to get a couple of last minute things taken care of. Hope I can get out quickly and head home. Bowling league tonight. We're having a number of couples over tomorrow night from bowling league for a new years get together. Maybe I can get down to the train room for a while tomorrow afternoon. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to do any train projects or even get to do any running.
Later.
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Hi Chet,
It will be a while before I start a new layout. My mother passed away over Christmas and it is my duty to settle the estate. This is no small task as Dad was a history buff and has an office full of old papers. Plus, they lived on the farm which they owned for 58 years. So I will be selling the farm and dividing the proceeds, as well as filling out all the probate paperwork which I just started on.
My dilemma is my regular job. It is going to be very difficult to get all this done. There is plenty of money in the estate for me to work on that full time. I know my dad would have liked the history put in order.
However, my wife does not want me to leave this position.
What think?
Sorry to hear about your mom. I had to go through that same situation a number of years back when my parents passed away. I was a bit of a pain, but like you, it was up to me. It did take a while, but I did survive. If your dad was a history buff, it would be a shame not to go through and organize his paperwork. I think it would be the right thing to do.
Afternoon All,
Today was indeed the odyssey to Wally World and it was packed today. It was in the 40's this morning and the high is supposed to be 61 F. That's fairly chilly for here. MOH is dressed like we are in Alaska!
Louis- A Pennsy train set is a great train set!
NG- I totally understand you when it comes to funding our hobby especially after retirement.
Dave- Sorry for your loss.
I hope everyone has a good night.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)