Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Got an inch of snow coming sometime in the next few hours. It's 36 now, but we've got a big temperature drop coming as well, so this snowfall may actually hang around.

We're holding off on the asbestos abatement until after the holidays. Among other things, this'll give me time to solve the derailment problem before ripping everything up. I want to run some trains, damn it!

In related news, we're also working on a home equity line of credit. Since we're having the basement flooring replaced, we're also going to have one of those macerating toilets installed. We only have the one bathroom, which can get awkward, and the act of going down the basement stairs has a mystical effect on my bowels.

Before we can do that, however, the bank wants us to get flood insurance because we live near a river. OTOH, if FEMA says we're above the 100 - year flood line, we don't need flood insurance.

Sigh. All I want to do is run some trains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Afternoon All,

Have to leave in about 35 minutes to pick up eldest grandson from school. As you can tell from my previous posts what I was doing earlier along with my laundry.

Chet- That is a very interesting family story.

Sauced07- You are correct about our youngsters these days. Welcome to the forum. What part of SC are you in? MOH grew up in the Jedburg/Summerville area. We were stationed at the Navy base in Charleston 1979-1980. MOH did not want to move back there after retirement (I was willing). Thank you for your suggestion. I will take a look at that next time I am in the train room.

NG- We have all done things like that. It's just part of the fun.

Corey- Good to hear from you and I wish you all the best.

Ken- Thanks, I look forward to seeing your idea.

I hope everyone has a good night.
 
I'm in upstate South Carolina in the small town of Inman. I am a short drive from Saluda grade. I grew up in Massachusettes and always wanted to come down to see that grade in action. I was a few years to late. I worked on the New England Central railroad mostly out of Palmer Ma and Brattleboro VT. Mass Central for a spell and the South Carolina Central railroad out of Hartsville SC. Been thru Summerville a few times.
 


Good afternoon Rail Setters & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, my two favorite waitresses here at Jeffreys' Dinner. I'm still watching for the running bear's?

Weather wise it's been pretty darn chilly as last night dropped down to about 32* so I've been waiting for it to warm up a bit to go out back to do some work.

Good to see everyone, I have some things to take care outside right now but will return in awhile.


Sauced: Good to see you here at Jeffreys' Dinner.


Later...
 
Mmm, tough call PRR. You look like you have room to squeeze it in there without loosing too much track. It blends well with the rest of the look no matter where you plop it down. Good stuff!
 
Good Evening Everybody!

The second week of Advent is half over and I am still scrambling like Fran Tarkenton being chased by Harvey Martin to get done before Christmas albeit at a much slower speed.

Have a good night Everybody!
 
... Ken- Thanks, I look forward to seeing your idea. ...

Hmmm...Looks like sauced07 had the same idea I had, 5 minutes earlier! "Great minds think alike" LOL. Here is a diagram to better illustrate the concept (not to scale):

CurtsYardTracks01.gif


Just extend the benchwork outward a few inches with a small shelf, and put your station on that - along the outermost track. That way, you don't have to redo any existing trackwork or electrical wiring.

Of course, since I've never actually been in your trainroom myself, I don't know exactly how much aisle space you currently have...
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Ken, i don't know if i ever your question but, yes, i missed 2 weeks of chemo which would have finished this 9-week session. I don't know what the onco dr has in mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
Good morning Everybody!

I am so happy to hear your good news E!!! You made my day, I am glad I stopped in this morning!

It's been busy here, working, thank God! And preparing for Christmas. My basement Christmas trains and Christmas decorations have not even been taken out of the box yet.

My wife called me at 8pm to tell me I had a water hater failure, my Nanny always said things come in 3s, who's next? After a long day that still was not over I had more fun to look forward to.

This "green" water heater requires you to disassemble the entire sealed burner assembly, but I was fortunate because a quick check with the multi-meter had showed all I need was a thermocouple. A quick trip to home depot (15 minutes before they closed), under $12 for parts and 15 minutes to put it in and we were heating water again.

The hard part was I built my layout around the then (January 2013) new water heater. I had to remove the boxes from under that end of the layout, luckily they are the Christmas trains and accessories that need to come out any way.

It was no fun working under the layout at 10pm after a busy 13 hour day that included 7 hours of billable work, but like Larry the Cable Guy say's I had to get'r done.

When I first checked the voltage it read 10 millivolts. Hmm that is low, but should be enough, the minimum use to be 10mv. Then I thought of Al Gore (&%$^#^@) I better check the specifications for this "green" water heater. Sure enough the gas valve requires 13 mv in this "thing". So it was off to home depot covered in dust bunnies. I had a really nice young man help me find my thermocouple, he had no idea what it did, but he knew where to find me one!

Needless to say I was relived when she fired back up. I was dreading the thought of dismantling the end of my layout. It's not much of a layout, but it's my O gauge layout!

I am supposed to be taking a day or 2 off between work days, but Christmas is my excuse for ignoring the doctors. I feel fairly good and there will be plenty of time to rest and play the new video games with my grandson after Christmas.

Somebody has to pay for the new PS4 Pro and special Gears of War edition Xbox One S. My grandson is going to be so excited to play the new games with his poppy. He tells me "we make a good team poppy".

I am so far behind I almost forgot to buy the new Lionel 2016 Christmas boxcar. The LLCA Christmas boxcar was ordered back in September and has been here long ago. They send so many emails you can't forget.

When I saw an add for the Lionel car on Facebook I realized I had not ordered that one, SOB! I quickly checked MB Klein and they only had 2 left and one is now mine and on it's way! Everybody else wants $69.99 for them MB Klein $48.99 plus $6.80 USPS shipping and MD sales tax of course! I don't even have time enough to go pick it up. Besides that will save me a few more bucks because I always find something I "must have" when I go there.
LIO-6-82954-2.jpg

Have a great day Everybody and enjoy the Holidays!
 
Good morning everyone. Not bad weather wise here. Gonna get cold this weekend, highs in the low 40's. Told the wife we're gonna make chili in the crock pot, serve it in bread bowls covered in cheese and Netflix it this weekend. My stomach loves this time of year!
 
Hi, guys it's freezing out there. Literally!

12 years to the day my Dad died, no wonder I was so depressed. Did a very rare thing for me anymore, walked down to the bar and had a shot of cheap scotch, I think it was Dewars, they don't have much that is very good behind the bar in my hood. One shot and a mile in the sun and I felt much better.

All right E, E&E from the house of pain! SWEET!
 
Good Morning All. Not as cold as they had forecast, with 30° and mostly cloudy. High today only 40° and back into the 60's by Sunday. Spent a bit of time outside yesterday getting things ready for the "big freeze", which didn't quite happen. Putting up garden hoses, making sure that the water lines and pool filter were empty, things like that. Grilled a delicious 1 1/4" ribeye for supper before the winds hit.
I did make some progress on the new extension in the train shed. Got the first 8' of lower level benchwork built and installed. lumber for the second and final 8' lower section is cut but not assembled. I also got the lumber for the first 8' of upper level cut. Whoops! I ran out of 1/2" plywood needed to complete the upper level. Thought that I had enough, but the sheet that is left is 3/8". Might use it since I won't be standing on the upper level anyway; we'll see. That section that I installed makes for a handy temporary workbench for assembly. Better than the floor!

Chet - You can keep those minus temperatures up there in Montana. Brrrh! I'll get the benchwork done all right. It's just that I take a break and run a few trains and before you know it, several hours have elapsed. Then it's beer time and no more power tools!
Corey - Hey, Thanks for stopping by. We've been wondering about you. Glad that everything seems to getting "righted" again.
Sherrel - George Soros is paying them!
Curt - I like sauced07 and Ken's suggestion regarding adding to the front of the benchwork.
Eric - Keep thinking positively. Hopefully the missing two weeks didn't set you back any, and it can be resumed soon.

Well, time to move on. Everybody have a great day.

Willie
 
Oh boy, I saw something I'm sure I was not supposed to but things happen. The crazy wench got me a stack of building kits two feet high! I realized I was looking at a two stall engine house and quickly looked away but JEEZ LOUEEZZ it was on a pile of similarly shaped boxes! This should be an interesting Christmas.

Too bad about the guy from ELP, good music but I had a roommate that played em WAY too much and I got burned out big time on the ELP! I always remember "Hockey Night in Canada" for some reason every time I hear them!
 
Good morning, everyone. 20 degrees this morning, a "dusting" of snow on the roof and ground - probably could count the flakes! Won't make it past freezing today - first time that's happened this winter. Things improve for the weekend. That coffee pot should just stay on this side of the table, ma'am - and those cinnamon rolls look great - I'll have one of those!

Eric - Like everyone else, I'm glad to hear you're "home for the holidays"! We're all in your corner and praying for you!

This weekend I'll finish the first part of the benchwork so we can lay some track and run some trains using a temporary turnaround. Will finish benchwork next year. BTW, my wife had said she wanted a Christmas train to run around the tree, so I found one on sale at MBKlein and surprised her with it last night. It's on snaptrack which lets me run it on the carpet, but we can run it on the main layout later on.

Hey, got a question: I need to buy a number of decouplers, and have been reading some negative reviews of the Kadee ones. Any opinions on that? What do you use in your turnouts and trainyards?

Have a great day.
Johnny
 


Morning Chaps! Early for me ... Have to head up the road for a 9am CT Scan .. Takes anywhere from an hour to hour and half depending on traffic - then another 15-20 min to park, get in the building, and sign in. I have about reached my overflow mark on the CT business. As this is for the original surgery a year and a half ago, I think that it is just a checkup. God knows, Please don't find anything else - Have had enough!

It's 42 outside with a high expected of 69 (was 61 yesterday). Weather is saying "today is expected to be much warmer than yesterday".

Have mixed feelings, CURT, on the station. I sort of like it nestled between the tracks - not on the side.

ERIC - Made good on the escape - Good. Glad to see that you still have your sanity!

Louis Glad the heater was a simple fix - I know, your going to make me look up "Thermocouple" lol?

I'll check in later!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top