RS-3's and GP-7 / 9

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jim81147

Active Member
I am looking for these locos , DCC and sound , and it seems that the only ones available are Bachmann's or Athearn Genesis . I have one Bachmann and although it is not a bad model , I would prefer to get something a bit better . I have an Atlas S-2 that is way quieter , smoother and better looking . I really like the Atlas loco's and they say they are set to release some of what I am looking for , but they have been saying that for over a year now . I have never seen , in person , an Athearn so I cant really comment on them one way or the other but if memory serves me correctly I have seen lots of posts of people saying that they had broken gear trouble with these models. Can anyone comment on these brands , one way or the other , or suggest a good alternative?
 
Atlas certainly makes an RS3 with DCC and sound. I currently have one, it has a Loksound decoder. It runs and sounds great.
Walthers also markets a GP7/9/18/20/30 with DCC and sound. You do have to be careful which version you get, as some of them had some not-so-good-sounding sound.
 
Terry , where did you find your Atlas RS-3 ? I am looking for some decorated in DRG colors . As I said , I really like the Atlas locos , all I have had worked and looked great.
 


So I can only speak to the Athearn Genesis GP9. I have two Santa Fe Units and I have to say that I am pretty happy with them, though mine don't have a lot of scale miles on them. I bought both of them in the DC version for less than $70 and ended up putting Tsunami decoders in them. I find that the detailing and at least initial quality is extremely good and I haven't had any bad luck with Athearn over the years.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top