Rolling Stock Storage?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have to say there are some amazing collections here. I have to ask though, when you have as many locos as Jerome and Straight Track, do you guys carry special house hold insurance on this stuff? I don't want to mention it but I could not imagine loosing something like this in a fire. You could almost forget about theft based on the sheer volumes involved here! Some of these collections are priceless though!
 
I have to say there are some amazing collections here. I have to ask though, when you have as many locos as Jerome and Straight Track, do you guys carry special house hold insurance on this stuff? I don't want to mention it but I could not imagine loosing something like this in a fire. You could almost forget about theft based on the sheer volumes involved here! Some of these collections are priceless though!

In my case...yes I do. After moving 3 times and realizing how much "stuff" I had I sought out that very thing. So I went to my ins co and asked questions of what would be needed since I live Fl well pretty much the damn state is a flood plain too. So I sought flood, fire and theft. What I had to do was log everything I wanted covered litterly. I eventually have photo of every item and video of "lots" which was acceptable. Then they wanted a detailed list with description. This was tedious. I ran across a program written by Peter White of Shenandoah Software http://shenware.com/ which helped me tremendously to this job and later the program really became an asset for a lot of other things. Amazing capabilities for one who hates to type! LOL!

*I also found after doing this data base for my MRR collection I was able to export this into the JMRI with ease as well a plus for me!

Anyways in a nut shell I was able to accomplish this and got a policy that include other items than MRR items but all were of "hobbies" category.

I know NMRA offers a ins plans of some sorts but it wasnt for me at that time, it may be for you or others.
 


I have to say there are some amazing collections here. I have to ask though, when you have as many locos as Jerome and Straight Track, do you guys carry special house hold insurance on this stuff? I don't want to mention it but I could not imagine loosing something like this in a fire. You could almost forget about theft based on the sheer volumes involved here! Some of these collections are priceless though!

Most insurance companies offer "riders" to their policies. Like James said, it's an extra for collections and they want lots of documentation. I was lucky enough to have a local agent that came by the house. When he walked in my office and saw literally 300+ engines on display, all's he said was "WOW!!! :D
 
I use old computer paper cardboard boxes. Using the 2 flats the come with these, plus some from others, I make a tray just deep enough for the cars to fit into and of course have slots as others have mentioned put into the trays.

At the edge of each I cut a little strip of cardboard and install it in a "V" shaped pattern, making sure it is high enough to clear the couplers. This strip keeps the couplers from becoming damaged should they roll back and forth in their slots.

I use hot glue to hold it all together, the boxes stack nice, and if you plan a road trip just put pieces of plastic bags at the car ends to hold them snug.

Works great, takes a bit of time, and your only cost is a little hot glue.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top