Return to Railroading Layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


PITFan48

New Member
So last weekend me and my dad began construction on my first layout since I was 12. I'm 20 now so most of my railroading stuff has been sitting in a box in a back room of my basement for the better part of the last decade. In those years alot has changed in the world of railroading, particularly the introduction of DCC controlled loco's.

This, being my first layout since I was a boy, is nothing too over the top. I am planning on introducing scenery and industry to the layout, as well as using a singular road name on the rails. I'm stuck between either the Union Pacific or Santa Fe (Not BNSF) most likely set in the late 40's to the late 60's. I have not purchased any of the motive power yet so I am yet to decide a certain era, but I will have DCC on the layout.

The layout itself sits on a 4' x 8' table with a 4' x 4' table added to one end to make it L-shaped. It will feature no elevation changes due to the fact that I will most likely be running a desert scenic operation. Without further ado, here are some pictures on the basic track plans.





Reviews and criticism are encouraged :)
 
Looks like you're just laying down track? I would come up with a track plan first. And include your industries, scenery, and structures.

When you have a track plan, post it up here and you will get a lot of input from some very experienced modelers.
 
You might read my Beginner Guide to Layout Design. You can click to it below. I will take you about 5 minutes to read.
 


Welcome back to the hobby! Things are different in a lot of ways, but in a lot of ways nothing has changed. Take some time to read and learn about new products, new methods, and new materials being used. This forum is a wealth of information and gentle criticism (when needed).

As far as your current railroad is concerned, I would start by putting your design on paper. It doesn't have to be fancy or created on a CAD program. It should, however, be drawn to a scale (for example, 1"=1' is typical). By creating a scale drawing you will be certain that what you have designed for the allowed space will actually fit in the allowed space. A side benefit is being able to post it here on the forum and receive comments from other railroaders.

I look forward to seeing your trackplan!
 
Do you have a clear idea of what every track is for? I know there's a tendency to want to cover the available space in track, but most of the layout doesn't seem to serve a purpose. The inner loop is for...what? It looks like you've created a section of the layout where the ruling curve radius will be too small for anything but small steam or diesel power. The level crossing also doesn't seem to make much sense except to act as a choke point. The extension area looks like an ideal place for a yard and engine facility, but it's laid out so you've wasted a lot of space. You really need to get a computer program like XTrackCAD (http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage) and start planning what each track is supposed to do and experimenting with different track designs. You'll have a much better idea of where you're going if you know where you're starting.
 
I'd get a book of plans and also look at some plans online. I'd avoid the Atlas track planning book though - their plans are very unrealistic IMO. As UP mentioned, one key to realistic design is that the tracks need a reason for being where they are.

Now if your intent is to have trains running at random like a Christmas display, that's ok but a totally different story...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top