Repowering a Life Like BL2

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


smlull163

New Member
Greetings to the Board!

I've gotten myself into a pickle. But short story is: I have a Life Like BL2. Still has original open frame motor and standard lights. I has cracked axles and I'm ready to fix that. My question is, I'd like to repower this loco with a can motor, but I'm confused between the A-Line and NWSL choices. I had another one, but it had an older Sagami motor, that you can no longer find.

Has anyone done this? It's more than a switcher, so I'd like it to have some pulling power. It looks alot like an Athearn model under the covers. The BL2 has a history, so putting a new motor into it is fine.

I don't have a milling machine (though this may be a good excuse to buy one!) but it doesn't look all that difficult, I'm just a little thick headed and can't seem to make the difference between A-Line and NWSL.

Oh, I do have in the box an OLD NWSL 163-4 repower kit. Says SD40 and the motor is an 18x36, with two flywheels. But that motor (18367-9) doesn't show up on NWSL pages

Feedback, advice and comments are welcomed!

Scott, Virginia Beach
 
Check out Walthers webpage (www.walthers.com) under quick search, type in repower. That will give you a list of NWSL and other repower kits. Then just measure the shafts and length of your old motor to select the new motor!:D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top