Replacing Bachmann 44-ton N Scale Couplers

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


davidpen

Long Haired David
I have just started a small switching layout in N Scale - and I have two Bachmann 44 Ton GE switchers. These are the latest ones with DCC fitted. I find that the couplers don't work too well but I have made it worse. I ran one of the locos off the end of the layout, while I was testing the DCC installation. The loco survived the fall but not one of the couplers.

As I own a model shop, I have an account with Bachmann so could presumably get replacement couplers but I would rather change them for something better. Can anyone advise me on which coupler would fit the best - the amount of space available is very small.

David
P.S. I live in the UK so would have to get these from the USA, I guess.
 
This locomotive was reviewed in the most recent Model Railroader magazine. The review states that you can replace the dummy couplers with Micro-Trains no. 1015 couplers. Elsewhere, I have read that M-T 1016's also fit, as do McHenry's

- Jeff
 
I will check through my MR copies. All I have to do now is find someone that stocks them in the UK or find a shop that will ship here for a reasonable cost.

Thanks for the pointer

David
 


Ah ha!

I got my new issue of MR today (I am in the UK) and there was the article. No wonder I hadn't seen it.

I have ordered some Micro Trains couplers so we will see how I get on.

Thanks for the help.
David
 
Yesterday, I unpacked and ran my Bachmann N-scale 44-tonner for the first time. I was surprised that the stock knuckle couplers seem to work fairly well. They even work with the uncoupling magnets on my layout.

I had assumed that I would want to change out the stock couplers for Micro-Trains. But aside from being oversized, the stock couplers seem to be OK.

- Jeff
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top