ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hey everyone, I have an ATHEARN - 4923 CN C44-9W #2521 and I want to change the wheels to Nickel Silver. There are 3 sizes, 40", 42", 45" how do I find this out or can someone tell me, and do I need half axle or do I need the hole axle with gear?
Thanks
According to Wikipedia the Dash 9 had 42 inch wheels.
Not sure about your other question. I have put wheels on several OLDER Athearn locos and alway used the half axles. The wheel/axle is pressed into the gear. In some cases the fit was too loose, so a tiny drop of acc to make sure it stays. Make sure to use a NMRA gage to check the wheels when assembling.