Replacement metal wheels

  • Thread starter Thread starter tmiller
  • Start date Start date
ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


T

tmiller

Guest
Hey guys, I have a lot of old rolling stock that is maybe 20+ years old. I have replaced most of the wheels with new metal ones. But in most instances, they simply do not roll as easily as new stock. I bought a flat bed car over the weekend, and it simply glides down the track so smooth. But it is a heavy car. So here are my questions:

Before replacing the wheels, should I ream out the trucks? I see Micro-Mark has a tool to do just that. Anybody with any experience using that tool? In other words could the truck bearings be dirty and causing the wheels not to turn freely? Some wheels spin freely, and others will not. Maybe the trucks are in need of total replacement?

Secondly, do I need to really weight down the cars? Obviously this would help, but not as far as the wheels are concerned. Maybe the two put together would make a difference?

I would like to salvage as many cars as possible, as they are really nice detailed cars. My other option would be to buy all new rolling stock, which would be expensive.

Any comments from the experts?

Ted
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wheels that spin, but stop after you stop apply force means that the journals are either dirty or have flash in them. In that case, I would ream them out with the tool.

Wheels that give considerable resistance while turning should probably be replaced with ones that have shorter axles. I'd still try reaming them out just in case.
 
I use a similar tool from REBOXX and it can make a big difference. So yes, get and use one of those tools to clean out the truck journals.
 


Ted, I have used that little reamer tool and absolutely swear by it! Wow. I've been changing out all my old plastic wheels for new metal ones. I used to replace and test roll, now I remove the old, run that reamer in both ends of both sets of trucks and you would not believe the way they roll.

Just my 2 cents,
Scott Virginia Beach, VA
 
I've been using the Truck Reamer tool since it came out. I, To, Ream, Replace wheels w/IM NS & then put Graphite powder in the end of every axle before I put it back on the rails. I also check the spacing on every axle w/an NMRA tool & then it's finished.
 
Thanks guys. great testimonials. Will get one ordered tomorrow. Makes a whole lot of sense to have that tool in the arsenal!

Ted
 
I have the Reboxx journel reamer and found it a tad short compared to the same tool offered by micromark making it harder to use because you have to press the sideframes together harder in order to keep it from falling out while using. .
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top