Removing numbers off Athearn RTR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have an oportunity to purchase an RTR in the railway I model for almost $30 off. How hard is it to remove the numbers off of RTR?
 
I use an Eraser. One of those medium sized school types. You can use alcohol, but it makes a mess unless you are real careful. The eraser is safer. (Poet).
 


I've used the eraser method too and it does work pretty well. No solvents needed, just a little elbow and finger grease. :D. You can rub through base color as well if you go to far though so be sure that you know when to say when.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I use an Eraser. One of those medium sized school types. You can use alcohol, but it makes a mess unless you are real careful. The eraser is safer. (Poet).

I've got an old (70's vintage I'd assume) GP7 that I'd like to get the Milw Rd Herald off and replace with a colored decal. I tried the eraser and it didn't take anything off, maybe I need to really put some elbow grease on it?
 
I've got an old (70's vintage I'd assume) GP7 that I'd like to get the Milw Rd Herald off and replace with a colored decal. I tried the eraser and it didn't take anything off, maybe I need to really put some elbow grease on it?

Do you have a large eraser on a pencil. Just make sure it's not used up to the metal ring on the pencil because it would leave grooves in your loco.
make sure the eraser is clean before you start. I have used a small amt. of alcohol w/the eraser, but, sometimes it takes off the paint on the shell besides the letters or numbers.:eek:
 
Or 2 more alternatives. #1 Mr Clean Magic Eraser, come in the household cleaners isle in most stores. It's like a sponge, cut it into smaller sized pieces, then just rub the numbers away. It's like a very fine scrubby pad. #2 Q-Tip with a small amount of Testors RED can thinner. I've done Athearn BB, Athearn RTR, Athearn Genesis, Atlas, KATO and Bachmann with these methods.
 


Or 2 more alternatives. #1 Mr Clean Magic Eraser, come in the household cleaners isle in most stores. It's like a sponge, cut it into smaller sized pieces, then just rub the numbers away. It's like a very fine scrubby pad. #2 Q-Tip with a small amount of Testors RED can thinner. I've done Athearn BB, Athearn RTR, Athearn Genesis, Atlas, KATO and Bachmann with these methods.

Ha those magic erasers are amazing when it comes to cleaning my bathroom, no idea they had a use in the modeling world :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top