Removing factory lettering

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


WVrailfan

Member
I need to remove the lettering from an Atlas HO S2, lettered for the C&O. I'd rather leave the factory paint than strip and repaint the whole thing.

I have used Solvaset and alcohol in the past to remove lettering but the lettering on this thing is stubborn.

Any suggestions for removing letting without harming the paint?

Thanks
Jim
 
Something I have used in the past to remove lettering has been model airplane glow fuel on a cotton swab. Use it in an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn't harm the main color coat.
 
I need to remove the lettering from an Atlas HO S2, lettered for the C&O. I'd rather leave the factory paint than strip and repaint the whole thing.

I have used Solvaset and alcohol in the past to remove lettering but the lettering on this thing is stubborn.

Any suggestions for removing letting without harming the paint?

Thanks
Jim

Is the lettering slightly raised like on this steam loco? Note these two overland locos where I would love to remove the numbers because they are slightly askew. Note the lowered "2" on the green one and how the number "2655" is angled upwards towards the right. Some say I'm picky, but it really ticks me off considering the price one pays for brass.

Like you, I'm really nervous about removing them without damaging the paint.
Hope you get some good replies.
Cheers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Something I have used in the past to remove lettering has been model airplane glow fuel on a cotton swab. Use it in an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn't harm the main color coat.

Well, I'll give it a try on a conspicuous place, Thanks for the tip.
 
This raises the question of the process of how numbers and letters are applied.
I'm going to see what I can find out on the net.
 
Stamped on with a big rubber stamp at the factory.

Seriously. The shell goes in a cradle in the machine and rotates it around, stamps, rotates the next one, stamps, and so on and so on.
 
Note the lowered "2" on the green one and how the number "2655" is angled upwards towards the right. QUOTE]

Awe you're just not running your trains fast enough if you can see the numbers! :D

Removing numbers with chemicals can have diferent results on diferent colors of paint.
For example, most reds, browns, or dark colors are mineral based, while most greens, blues, and light colors are vegetable based.
Not always, but most of the time you can rub the heck out of a dark color with no ill effects.
(again, most!)
 
Stamped on with a big rubber stamp at the factory.

Seriously. The shell goes in a cradle in the machine and rotates it around, stamps, rotates the next one, stamps, and so on and so on.


Thanks.


I'm sure they spray a finish over them also, which will make it more difficult to remove.
 
Note the lowered "2" on the green one and how the number "2655" is angled upwards towards the right. QUOTE]

Awe you're just not running your trains fast enough if you can see the numbers! :D

Removing numbers with chemicals can have diferent results on diferent colors of paint.
For example, most reds, browns, or dark colors are mineral based, while most greens, blues, and light colors are vegetable based.
Not always, but most of the time you can rub the heck out of a dark color with no ill effects.
(again, most!)


Thanks for the info.

I'll just have to run them more often, take my glasses off, and stand back a few feet with my handheld throttle until I get the nerve to attempt to remove them.
 
One other suggestion, non-acetone nail polish remover on a Q-tip works in some cases. Again, try an inconspicuous part 1st, if OK, go for it. I've also heard of some folks using soft pencil erasers with success. (havn't tried that one yet.)
 


Well so far far no luck in trying to get the numbers off my brass diesel and loco. Tested all sorts of solvents on inconspicuous places and some start to remove the green paint, but have no effect on the yellow numbers! Nothing is removing them. What are these number made from? ceramic? vinyl? Anyhow, I give up; don't want to ruin the model. I don't have the time, skills, or money now to have the cab repainted.
I'm totally amazed that cheaper plastic locos have better numbering and lettering that isn't crooked or askew. I've examined many brass diesels and locos on the net last night and couldn't believe how many of them had their numbers applied so sloppy. I'm now thinking of weathering the model in some way to hide the flaws.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well so far far no luck in trying to get the numbers off my brass diesel and loco. Tested all sorts of solvents on inconspicuous places and some start to remove the green paint, but have no effect on the yellow numbers! Nothing is removing them. What are these number made from? ceramic? vinyl? Anyhow, I give up; don't want to ruin the model. I don't have the time, skills, or money now to have the cab repainted.
I'm totally amazed that cheaper plastic locos have better numbering and lettering that isn't crooked or askew. I've examined many brass diesels and locos on the net last night and couldn't believe how many of them had their numbers applied so sloppy. I'm now thinking of weathering the model in some way to hide the flaws.
Numbers and the lettering are usually glossy, where as the body is a flat paint. The flat is easier to absorb any solvents where as the gloss is a tighter bond and more stuborn to remove. You almost have to paint the solvent on just to the area to remove, with a fine brush, not getting all over the place. I use a tooth pick sometimes to help scrape.
 
I have a junk box of seemingly worthless loco shells. Some came from 50-cent flea market sales. I keep them just to experiment on, regarding removing paint and testing for lettering and paint removal. Even if it's dog-chewed, stepped on or floor-fallen it can still have some future purpose. I learned that from a friend that has a motto - "never throw anythng away".
 
Try scraping off the numbers with a round blade X-Acto knife. It works on Athearn diesels since the numbers are pad-printed on. The numbers disintegrate into a powder when scraped off.
 
I've used 91% alcohol, Solvaset, Microsol ,fingernail polish remover and others. It seems that they all take a little different method sometimes.
 
Thank you all for the advice. However, I chickened out and did something different. I put a decal over the numbers that were askew then weathered the edges of the numbers, I didn't want visible, and dullcoted like crazy.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top