Removing a P2K SW1200 shell

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


RockDoc

returning to the hobby
I've picked up my first lightly used P2K SW1200 and am hoping someone could clarify how to separate the shell from the frame. I'd like to give it a good look over to see if I can disassemble it enough to modify into a SW1200RS without damaging it.

I've removed the coupler pockets.... I see some tabs from below, but I think they hold the shell to the running boards rather than to the frame... Is it simply a friction fit at this point? Do I need to force those plastic tabs? Is there something I'm missing?
 
Doc, you don't do anything with those tabs. As you thought, they are holding the hood to the sill. If you have the coupler pockets already out, just grab the engine by the sill and start gently rocking side to side while pulling the fuel tank/air tank towards you. It will slowly work it's way apart. Don't force it!!
 


Took a bit of time, but it is off clean. :) Thanks

Now to spend a bit of pondering time to decide if it will go under the knife.. and if I need to pick up a second cheap unit at the local shop. I wish the details and railings were installed in such a way that they could be removed without doing damage. I'd like to detail a couple former CPR SW1200RS units, so I'd need add the RS numberboards, railings mounted to the side sills, flexicoil trucks and redo the fuel tank/air tanks. And paint of course.
 
Doc, not a problem. Always here to help. Sounds like your going to need to strip that one completely to make an SW1200RS. I'd like to see your progress as you build it. I have 3 CP Rail SW1200's, but I bought them already built. I still need to make the hand rails for them.

101_0519.jpg


101_0520.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Those are Athearn-based units? I've had a quick look through your switcher roster thread, but haven't seen it all.

If I go through with the conversion I'll post up as I go. Right now I'm at the photos and detail/alteration listing stage. Any thoughts on the flexicoil sideframes? Though I haven't looked into it, I'm assuming there haven't been any Proto flexicoils.... Athearn and Minitures by Eric are the options I know of.
 
Doc, they look like Athearn units. Just not sure what frame it is. They have been heavily modified. I use Athearn flexi-coil sideframes. They are cheap and abundant.
 
Mintures by eric makes both a CN and CP SW1200 kit for the Proto2000 engine, it's not cheap by it has the parts you need.
 
I picked up a second SW1200, I'll have to start collecting parts and head down the RS path with them.

Plan right now is:
-M.b.Eric CN 1200RS kit to get a pair of RS numberboards (thinking I'll remove the class lights from the "front" to match the "rear" and have a pair to model units with class lights removed)
-M.b.E. 1200RS fuel tank kit for the P2K unit
-Athearn flexicoil sideframes, though I see now that Smoky Valley and Kaslo also make them
-DA rad intake to get a more see-through look with shutters
-fabricated sill-mounted handrails
-small details to suit

It will likely be a while before I get moving forward.
 


Thought I would share a few pics. I've decided to detail these as Milw -> Soo units (the >1205 units here: http://www.mountainrailway.com/SOO Line Roster Archive/SOO 1200 Page.htm) rather than CP units to avoid changing to flexicoils and adding the RS number boards. First step has been the extended range fuel tanks, which have been done with laminated styrene strips and repositioning of the air tanks.

Any suggestions on the best stripper for the P2K (LL era) paint? Isopropyl?
 
It's actually the black and yellow scheme rather than the green and yellow. I'll start on the Noodle unit and if anyone on this side of the border wants to trade a more suitably ugly shell for this one, I'd be open to it.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top