REintroduction

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


P&LE

Member
Hello (again) everyone,

I've posted here in the past, but life events have taken me away from the hobby AGAIN for several months. Now I'm back (hopefully for good) and ready to get started again.

As I've posted in the past, I will be modelling the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, probably on a 4x8 to start. I've been forced to move (again!!) but I'm fairly certain I'll be in this house for quite a long time.

Looking forward to rejoining the conversation here and hopefully being able to contribute some useful things.

PLE
 
Hi PLE,
Yes, life does get in the way at times in one way or another if we let it but often it unavoidable. I've been through it as we all have to one extent or another. You just have to take advantage of your free time as you can.

As far as your layout, a 4 x 8' is the usual starting point but I would strongly suggest, it space allows it to get two sheets of 4 x 8' and cut one sheet into two 4 x 4' sections to use a the ends for return loops and the other sheet would be cut into two, 2 x 8' lengths, which could be shortened as needed and build an ' L ' shape layout as it offers so many more operational abilities as well as a much more pleasing aspect in watching your trains run.

You don't have to use the two long narrow sections in their full 8' length, but can cut them shorter to get things to fit in. You also will need a 45* section of about 18" on the longer side, for the inner corner to act as filler to allow your track to curve around easier.

Also a layout of type, a dog-bone is much easier to reach across except for the ends in some cases to rerail cars or doing scenery etc also.

Give it some serious thought, ok.

Welcome back.
Ps: I like your Line logo!
 
Thanks Trussrod.

The main reason I'm planning on using the 4x8 is portability (the room has to usable for other things) and I also REALLY like the Virginian 4x8 from MR. I think it will make a great P&LE coal branch layout and I can always add additional modules and staging.

PLE
 


Welcome back. I agree with you, the Virginian layout MR did a couple of years ago is a great plan. (Has anybody noticed how similar it was in the basic configuration to the Rock Ridge Central from 2002? I always thought that was a great one, too.)

Good luck and welcome back!

From the DairyStatePhone
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top