Recommend me a new beginner set?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


BamaMan

Roll Tide! Dothan, Al
Hey guys. I am sure you get this all the time but I really need some help in picking out my first set. I would rather have a set than to pick out each one individually. I think I can get more for my dollar with a set. Probably not as good quality but thats ok for now.

I know I am on the HO board, so either HO or N scale will be ok. I initially just want to set this up with the wifes Christmas Villages so N Scale would be great for that due to the size of the counter those Villages sit on. The more I think about it, I think I would ultimately want my set to be HO, but the Villiage train needs to be N but I dont have to do that if we cant find an N. Also, I may copy this over to the N Scale boards so they can help me too.

Here is the problem, I really dont want to spend over about 120, maybe 140. I KNOW already, from reading other posts, that that is not really enough to get started as you guys think. Thing is, for this amount I can get a set that will run thru the villages and then I can buy more later. I can replace and upgrade if this hobby still appeals to me as much as I think it will after Christmas.

The counter I want this on is 24 3/4" by 10 ft. So really, I dont know if thats wide enough for even an N Scale. Bear in mind that I do have an office out back that is 24 ft by 30 ft that I will have plenty of room for.

Problem is this, there is WAY too much info out there for the new guy. I look at different sites, or even ebay but there is so much available for Model RR. I dont know which brands are good/bad. I dont want to buy a brand name that is just no good. I dont want to buy a set that has some track or train that will only work on THAT track and not a more standard track. Any help here guys? The nearest hobby shop is about 50 miles from here. I dont mind driving over there buyt finding the time can be tough. Somebody point me in the right direction please.

Thx
 
Bamaman- The counter I want this on is 24 3/4" by 10 ft. So really, I dont know if thats wide enough for even an N Scale.This is your key statement for your immediate need.
Nominal radius for HO is 18" (36" diameter) and N is a nominal 12" radius or 24" diameter.
It will be a tight fit on a 24-3/4" wide counter and most train sets are segments of a pre-detiremined radius. A 24" x 60" oval will be on 12" radius.

You can probably get away with 11" radius with a small engine with 4 wheel trucks (2 sets of axels on each drive motor). Something like a GP7 will not be part of a set, and you would need to use N-scale Flex track to achieve a 11" radius. Look at Modeltrainstuff.com to see models and prices of commonly available engines and cars.

Most of the train sets I have seen used with Dept.56, Lemax and other Christmas Village settings have been HO scale, but they are out of scale to the figures and structures.

After you make a decision on HO or N for this counter space, we can give a 100 reasons to go HO or 75 reasons to go N in the office space you have.:D
Mikey
 
Here's a link to a bunch of sets.
http://www.trainsetsonly.com/
One of the members here, Trussrod, is a dealer and posts in the for sale section. You could look at the site above and ask him his thoughts on them since he probably has seen them.

The Atlas line and higher end bachmann line are my personal suggestions but I'm sure there are several others that are just as good.
 


I haven't done anything in N Scale since the 80's so I don't know much about the current products. HO on the other hand I do know about. A set under $140? HO Scale? You wnat it to be rugged because it's gonna be out in the open? I recommend Athearn. They make some excellent rtr sets. I usually grab the ones with the F7 locos. They come with the loco, usually 4 cars including the caboose, Bachmann nickel silver EZ-Track and a model T-001 7VA DC power pack. The ones I've been snatching cost around $90. Do yourself a favor and grab some Kadee #5 couplers and change the couplers out.
 
Here's an example of a perfect N scale train set for you: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Atlas_N_2100_Trainman_Train_Set_with_BNSF_GP_15_p/atl-2100.htm. It's made by Atlas and is the Trainman series, which means the general quality of the locomotive and cars is far better than the junk N scale sets you see in places like Hobby Lobby. It comes with a 24" x 30" oval, which will easily fit in your space. You can buy additional straight track if you want it to go out to the full 10 feet. The best thing is that's it's only $99! With the economy down, this is a good time to be buying train sets so go for a good one.
 
Bamaman- The counter I want this on is 24 3/4" by 10 ft. So really, I dont know if thats wide enough for even an N Scale.This is your key statement for your immediate need.
Nominal radius for HO is 18" (36" diameter) and N is a nominal 12" radius or 24" diameter.
It will be a tight fit on a 24-3/4" wide counter and most train sets are segments of a pre-detiremined radius. A 24" x 60" oval will be on 12" radius.

You can probably get away with 11" radius with a small engine with 4 wheel trucks (2 sets of axels on each drive motor). Something like a GP7 will not be part of a set, and you would need to use N-scale Flex track to achieve a 11" radius. Look at Modeltrainstuff.com to see models and prices of commonly available engines and cars.

Most of the train sets I have seen used with Dept.56, Lemax and other Christmas Village settings have been HO scale, but they are out of scale to the figures and structures.

After you make a decision on HO or N for this counter space, we can give a 100 reasons to go HO or 75 reasons to go N in the office space you have.:D
Mikey

OK thx. I dont think either scale HO or N will be in scale with the village. May look stupid and if it does, I will not do it that way. I believe when you talk radius of the curve, your are measuring from the 'middle' of the track also, not from the inside edge, correct?

Here's a link to a bunch of sets.
http://www.trainsetsonly.com/
One of the members here, Trussrod, is a dealer and posts in the for sale section. You could look at the site above and ask him his thoughts on them since he probably has seen them.

The Atlas line and higher end bachmann line are my personal suggestions but I'm sure there are several others that are just as good.

I have been looking alot at Atlas. Someone over email told me emphatically to stay away from Bachman. Maybe he just had a bad experience with them. WIll chek out the website.


I haven't done anything in N Scale since the 80's so I don't know much about the current products. HO on the other hand I do know about. A set under $140? HO Scale? You wnat it to be rugged because it's gonna be out in the open? I recommend Athearn. They make some excellent rtr sets. I usually grab the ones with the F7 locos. They come with the loco, usually 4 cars including the caboose, Bachmann nickel silver EZ-Track and a model T-001 7VA DC power pack. The ones I've been snatching cost around $90. Do yourself a favor and grab some Kadee #5 couplers and change the couplers out.

By rugged you mean cheap? Well I dont want to sink $1k into this and realize its not really for me. I dont mind sinking 150 or so into it initially and seeing how it goes.

Athearn is another brand I had looked at also already. Not sure why I looked at those two but I have. For $90 bucks (F7 Locos 4 cars etc...), your talking everything I need initially to have this thing running?




I may have to move the village to another counter, but then again I think the other ones are only about 30 inches so unless I run this thing back and forth, my counter idea may not work.
 
Athearn is another brand I had looked at also already. Not sure why I looked at those two but I have. For $90 bucks (F7 Locos 4 cars etc...), your talking everything I need initially to have this thing running?
I've been running Athearn locos for many years and have found to be ruggedly dependable and easy to maintain. The set comes with everything you need to get started. Loco, cars, track, power pack. All in one box with a convenient carrying handle.
 
Here's an example of a perfect N scale train set for you: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Atlas_N_2100_Trainman_Train_Set_with_BNSF_GP_15_p/atl-2100.htm. It's made by Atlas and is the Trainman series, which means the general quality of the locomotive and cars is far better than the junk N scale sets you see in places like Hobby Lobby. It comes with a 24" x 30" oval, which will easily fit in your space. You can buy additional straight track if you want it to go out to the full 10 feet. The best thing is that's it's only $99! With the economy down, this is a good time to be buying train sets so go for a good one.

Is this worth it? I mean is it a good deal really? I will order it tonight if you guys think so. What else would I need? Maybe some of that 3' flex track (I think its call flex track)? Also, this track is code 65 which if I remember rt is the height of the rail? So I assume that all my track would need to be that code? This is perfect, what I needed if you all think its a good deal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Yes, it's a good deal for a quality complete N scale set. Code 65 rail does roughly equate to the weight of real rail per yard. Code 65 is not as nice as code 55 in terms of prototype but it will operate more reliably for you as a starter. This track already is in plastic with simulated ballast and looks a lot better than just flex track nailed down to a shelf. If you want to expand your set, you'd buy more Atlas True-Track, since it will match up exactly with your existing track. You can buy additional True-Track sections and switches at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=true-track. They are also very reasonably priced.

If I had settled on N scale (not sure you've done that yet), I would buy this set in a heartbeat. It should run well for you and still be decent material if you really get into trains.
 
Yes, it's a good deal for a quality complete N scale set. Code 65 rail does roughly equate to the weight of real rail per yard. Code 65 is not as nice as code 55 in terms of prototype but it will operate more reliably for you as a starter. This track already is in plastic with simulated ballast and looks a lot better than just flex track nailed down to a shelf. If you want to expand your set, you'd buy more Atlas True-Track, since it will match up exactly with your existing track. You can buy additional True-Track sections and switches at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=true-track. They are also very reasonably priced.

If I had settled on N scale (not sure you've done that yet), I would buy this set in a heartbeat. It should run well for you and still be decent material if you really get into trains.

GREAT! I am fixing to order the set/track in discussion. And ya know, just because I order this set does not mean that I cant order an HO size soon.
 
Ahhh, nice watching a kid be re-born :D


:D
No doubt about it. I am sure I wont get this till next week, but it was like 35 bucks to have it overnighted. I am as impatient as can be but I went with the 2-5 days shipping. Not sure where this company ships from but am definetly looking forward to it!
 
I know the feeling for sure. Just picked up an Atlas Gold MP15dc last weekend. I saw it and just had to have it. I even made it home 50 miles away only to talk myself into driving back 2 days later LOL. :p
 
BAMAMAN- only one additional warning, because I speak from experience.
Be very careful running your train along the edge of the counter. A 2.5 foot fall from the counter is equal to a 400 foot N scale fall.:mad:
Mikey
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top