Rapido FP9A - anyone got one yet?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


notabob

Member
Seem to have shown up en-force in the usual channels within the past week. Has anyone received theirs yet? Any 1st impressions? In an impulsive, sleep-deprived haze I ordered one from MBKlein this morning, but curious what others' impressions are so far.
 
It finally came in a few days ago... She's a stunner! Very highly detailed, amazing sound quality, great lighting effects, excellent slow speed characteristics. Smooth as butter even at 1/128th.

Makes me wish I had gotten a 2nd one, but as it is I've already busted through my fun allowance for the next two months... Will have to live with just one for the time being.
 
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like Rapido hit a home run with the FP9A.

How was the packaging on the locomotive? I heard that Rapido improved the packaging so I am interested to hear your feedback.

Best regards,
Brian
 


Thanks for the update.

Sounds like Rapido hit a home run with the FP9A.

How was the packaging on the locomotive? I heard that Rapido improved the packaging so I am interested to hear your feedback.

Best regards,
Brian

Packaging is very Genesis-like at first glance, but Rapido seems to have added additional soft pads in critical areas to eliminate any and all possible movement of the model within the sleeve. Packaging seems to have worked well, as the model box itself had a pretty considerable dent in one of the corners, yet the model had no damage whatsoever. It's a winner for sure!
 
For such a small market, or what one might think would be sure to be a small market, Rapido has outdone itself and much of its competition. As a fellow Canadian, I take some pride in their accomplishments, although I know one's nationality is hardly relevant when it comes to achievement. Still, I am happy that Jason et al. are doing well, and that all their hard work and angst are paying off. My hope is that they can continue with their current orientation, broaden their client base a bit in terms of their non-Canadian offerings, and continue on to become a major force in the hobby.
 
For those interested, here are a few quick shots of the packaging and a couple of the model.

Now, to patiently wait for their GMD-1...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0093sm.JPG
    IMG_0093sm.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0095sm.JPG
    IMG_0095sm.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 451
Looks like a REALLY NICE model! With all that detail, I think that I would almost be afraid to handle it. I would like to see them do some F-7's or F-9's as well as GP-7's and 9"s.
 
The front coupler looks like it droops.... Hmm maybe a shorter shank Kadee will fix it?

I will be getting a pair of them, but I'm still waiting on the undecorated ones since I will be getting them custom painted for Pan Am Railways, which owns two of them for their OCS.
 


Regarding the http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Inter...r-49983-02.htm loco.

If you had one numbered 1750 as well, along with a F-9 B unit lettered for the Algoma Central, you could replicate these scenes. Both of these are in my neck of the woods. I work at Duck Creek power plant sometimes during outages and the bridge across the Spoon River is a place that I have spent a lot of time at with my brother-in-law.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=368352&nseq=3

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=373760&nseq=2
 
The front coupler looks like it droops.... Hmm maybe a shorter shank Kadee will fix it?

I will be getting a pair of them, but I'm still waiting on the undecorated ones since I will be getting them custom painted for Pan Am Railways, which owns two of them for their OCS.

The front coupler indeed has a very slight droop to it that should be easily fixable.

PanAm HQ is actually in the next town over from where I live... Hadn't caught their OCS going through town yet though.
 
Wow! Ditch lights, marker lights, lit #boards and of course headlight, all LED's I'm guessing? I'm impressed.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top