Railroad Jobs

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


logandsawman

Northern Pacific history enthusiast
I have an interview next week with BNSF for the conductor trainee position. Would anyone wish to share a story about their first weeks on a railroad job?

Thanks, lasm
 
My great Grandfather was killed by a train in 1928 near Battlecreek, MI. He was walking back home along the NYC tracks as he usually did everyday and apparently didn't hear the train.
 
As Ken's story implies, safety is very important to the RRs. As they say the rules are "written in blood". So be prepared to say something about what you've learned about safety in your previous work experience. It might be a plus if you've worked around heavy equipment. Don't worry about knowing the job of being a conductor. You will get plenty of training about that. And don't brag about being a "foamer". They don't like them!
 


What is a foamer?

I was hoping for some better stories.

I spent a great part of my life in the logging industry, better than 15 years. I owned and operated some pretty big stuff, though nothing like a locomotive. My only lost time injury was in 1983, got hit in the face by the butt of a popple tree. Broken nose, concussion. For real just about killed me.

I guess 30 years accident free running logging, farming, and frack oil field maybe something to be proud of.

lasm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Logandsawman
Your work around lumbering can be a benefit to you as safety was important to you. Don't mention your injury but they may know about it if they have access to Workman Comp records. If it comes up, tell them how you overcame any problems. Used to be a RR conductor myself but left that 9 years ago so can't be much help w/ current employment conditions. Just keep a positive attitude w/ them & don't let their questions intimidate you.
 
Sorry, my first weeks at the railroad involved going in and sitting down at a desk every day...... I don't get to play with the trains.

But the real reason I am writing is I wanted to ask are you signing up for the conductor training where they send you to NARS in Kansas City KS or are you talking about their internal program in Ft. Worth TX?
 
Iron Horseman,

A super big thank you for actually answering my inquiry!!!!!!!


This is just the person to person interview, and the job location is Superior, Wisconsin. I don't know anything else.

I currently have a desk job, and I even have my own office with a window and secetarial staff, which is not at all my normal environment. I am considering shifting to this new occupation.

For all my life up until now I have worked "field" jobs, but because I have so much practical experience accomplishing tasks, they hired me for this cushy desk job seeing that others accomplish tasks.

Thank you, again, for your input.

lasm
 
I first hired as a clerk and my first afternoon on the job was a blur. I was assigned to "post" (train) with a guy named Stanley, who called everyone "Cockroach" and muttered in Polish. The guy worked as B tour yard clerk/crew dispatch clerk. First task was signing off on A tour crews time cards. I never thought I'd make it. Eleven months later, I was able to transfer to engine service as a "fireman". That was 47 years ago. There were no established training programs back then, just on the job training and trial and error.

Good luck with your interview.

Joe
 


Logandsawman,
I have no experience since I am a heavy equipment mechanic, but I would like to wish you good luck.
 
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the kind words! The interview was yesterday and there was a roomful of candidate conductor trainees. Sounds like the job is divided between yard work and on the road training preparation to get promoted to the locomotive engineer position.

Anyway, everyone had a great attitude and BNSF had top notch recruiter and HR staff.

that big chunk they cut out of my thinning hair could go with a creative halloween costume.


lasm
 
Good luck. Hope things work out for you. The only thing better than working with model trains is working with the real ones.
 
They cut off your hair in the interview process? Was this for a hair folical drug test? If so, why are they doing this in the interview?
 
Montanan, thanks for the encouragement, and as I recall, you are the one who informed me of the job! Thankyou

Motley, They want to make sure they don't get any druggies driving the trains. Can you blame them?

lasm
 
When I was a kid, I spent countless hours riding in the cab of steam, diesel and electric locomotives. Those were the days. Couldn't do that today with the rules on the railroads. Keep us posted on what's going on.
 
Motley, They want to make sure they don't get any druggies driving the trains. Can you blame them?

lasm

Sure but in the interview process seems odd to me. Drug testing should be after they offer you the job, and part of the pre-employment process. Never heard of drug testing in interviews.
 
Michael,

I am going to guess that they want to make sure you are suitable before they invest any time or money in you with the background check. The way the job market is today, I think perspective employers can take a lot of liberties because candidates are so hungry for a good offer.

Just the fact that you are willing to submit to a hair test is going to say something about your interest in the job.

lasm
 
20-30% of applicants are disqualified because they test positive in the drug tests.

Railroad life is not easy. Its a not a job, its a career. It can be frustrating and, at times, mind numbingly boring. It takes a lot of sacrifice of you and especially your family. Its working in rain and snow, on Christmas and your kid's birthdays.

On the other hand it can be one of the most interesting jobs there is. Once you adapt to the lifestyle it can bring a certain amount of freedom and variety not found in 9-5 jobs. Working for a large class 1 means if you want to, you can travel all over the country, and the opportunities for upward movement are limited only by your willingness to work for them.

34+ years service.
 


good luck with this. I work for the Fort Worth and Western in Dublin TX. I never mind getting up and going to work, but this is all I ever wanted to do. we have 4 runs out of Dublin. my job as a conductor/engineer is 6 am to 2 pm. best hours, but more switching. took me a lot longer to get settled in than I thought being that I have always liked trains and thinking I knew more than the average person. I tried to learn it all too quick. if I can do it, anyone can. yesterday was my first "big run, for me" as an engineer. took 3 sd 40's to cresson, tx light, and brought 6000 plus tons back to Dublin. made it fine, it was mostly frac sand, with some local feed and lumber cars to be switched out. good luck to you
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top