Question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hi guys, I am looking to build a layout and I need advice on how much curved track I would need to make an oval with a 22" radius. I am going to use Atlas HO Code 83 track.

Thank You
 


There are many videos on youtube about how to measure and lay flextrack. It is worth getting to know, and worth getting your feet wet. Soon enough, you are away to the races and you'll never look back. As for turnouts, I use Peco Streamline Code 83 #6 turnouts that are insulated at the frog (insulfrog). They are excellent and reliable. Micro-Engineering are also good. I don't know about Atlas Customline, but I hear good things.
 
Flextrack Calculation

Assuming you mean "circle" and not "oval," we can determine how much flextrack is required for a circle of 22 inch radius.

The circumference of a circle is:

Pi x 2r

Where r = radius of circle = 22 inches, and Pi = 3.14 (approx.). So:

3.14 x 2 x 22 = 138.23 inches of flextrack.

Each piece of Atlas Code 83 flex is 36 inches long, so you would need 138.23 / 36 = 3.84 pieces of flextrack. However, because you may lose a bit of track when cutting and fitting flextrack, AND because the curve radius is measured at the centerline of the track, the actual amount of flextrack required is somewhat more than calculated -- a little over 140 inches.

For an oval (straight sections connected by curves with 22 inch radius), you would need the same 140+ inches, plus whatever amount of track you choose for the straight sections. In the track diagrams below, all of the curves have a 22 inch radius.

The lefthand circle requires just over 140 inches of track. The righthand oval needs just over 224 inches of track -- 140+ inches of curved track plus 84 inches of straight track. The whole oval occupies 7'4" x 3'9" so it will fit on a 8x4 tabletop (without much room to spare).

I don't know if any of this is herlpful!

- Jeff

22-inch_curves.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top