Question(s) about Basic consisting + sound

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Mouse

Member
Hello fellow model railroaders,

Im in the process of getting 2 of the new Athearn Genesis SD70Ace's with DCC / Sound (birthday next week and a great fiancee!!). Currently im using the basic Bachmann EZ-Command DCC System which is only able to do basic consisting.(until christmas when its replaced!)
I know that in basic consisting, I would control movment of both locos under 1 address. Does this also apply if both loco's have sound installed in them? In otherwords, would both engines respond with the same sound command? Say I choose to use to the horn or bell, are both engines going to sound the horn or bell??

Thanks for your time and answers.

P.S. I know i should just swap the DCC unit out instead of getting two engines but the engines have already been purchased ;)

-Chris
 
IIRC It mainly depends on the decoder. you have to set each loco up to be the forward middle or last unit. if not they all will blow the horn or bell etc...
 
Say I choose to use to the horn or bell, are both engines going to sound the horn or bell??

Yes, if you set them both to the same address. The DCC system will tell the loco with that address what to do, and both decoders would respond. Which DCC system do you use? I think most of not all of them support universal consisting which would solve that problem.
 


Yes, that's correct. When I setup Universal consisting on my NCE system, both locos respond to forward/reverse, lights, and sounds.
 
Imackattack: I figured this would be the case. This is actually what i want for now as I currently do not have a way of changing CV's. So two will be louder then 1 though not prototypical, it works for me for now. Thanks!

diburning: I use the Bachmann EZ-Command which as far as I know can only do Basic Consisting. I do plan to replace this however with a better system with programming options and what not. As far as who's system, thats another thread lol!

Motley: Right on! Thanks!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top